Is childbirth obscene?

Is childbirth obscene?

• Total voters
You may not have claimed to be an expert, but merely by attempting to 'read into' someone on the Internet of all places, is a very faulty practice in itself. You say you are not 'convinced', but what could I possibly do to convince you since the image you have in your mind of me is one you created, yourself, based on falsehoods and what you got from 'reading into' my posts, instead of just taking them for what they are.

You reach a faulty conclusion based on faulty assumptions, and then take the position that this person being scrutinized based on your 'reading into' their posts and interpreting them a certain way (despite the persons protests that you are looking way to much into it instead of just taking it at face value) must prove otherwise, but how can I prove not to be this fake person you created, when I am, in fact, not that person in the first place?

I can't. I can't possibly convince you and I can't possibly win. If you would simply just read what I write instead of 'reading into it' and coming up with ridiculous conclusions like some amateur psychiatrist, then we wouldn't have this problem and I wouldn't need to 'convince' anyone of anything.

They 'may' be, but not necessarily. Obscene can also mean disgusting, which is why I voted yes in the poll and tried to argue my point in this thread. I don't 'fear' sex, or childbirth, or children or whatever else some morons would accuse me of, but I do find the idea of a blood and fluid covered baby ripping its way out of the mother's nethers while she most likely screams and cries in pain to be pretty damn disgusting. Is it 'natural', yes, but then again so are many other disgusting things in our world, as I gave examples of before.

In the end, it comes down to the individual and what we each find 'disgusting'. I find the gory and brutal nature of this 'natural' event to be pretty gross and disgusting, but that doesn't necessarily mean I view it in a negative light or that people need to 'read into' these posts and make up stories based on what they think I mean. If I happen to think any of those things then I will most certainly say so. I have no reason not to.

So to summarize: 7 lbs of human being coming out of a bloody vagoo = disgusting. That's pretty much the extent of it, in my opinion.

shut up.

Very well, yourself? :)

good!

well, there's two things: (1) my back feels a bit funny and, (2) earlier this evening, i was doing yoga and my shorts were in the washing machine so i had to do it with no clothes on. in one of the postures, i was a bit upside down and my scrotum was dangling close to my face and it looked like a walnut surrounded by a kind of hairy force field. normally i don't see it.

other than that, i'm pretty good :)

good!

well, there's two things: (1) my back feels a bit funny and, (2) earlier this evening, i was doing yoga and my shorts were in the washing machine so i had to do it with no clothes on. in one of the postures, i was a bit upside down and my scrotum was dangling close to my face and it looked like a walnut surrounded by a kind of hairy force field. normally i don't see it.

other than that, i'm pretty good :)

That's very impressive. So all in all, a normal day?

I don't think it's misogynist, but I also think obscene is slightly strong...

But when they show it on the BBC, without warning of blood and muccus, I find it hard to look, but only as it's slightly gorey, not because it's a vagina, so I can't see how it's misogynist. But I would like to know why you think it is!

I can't speak for other people, but I think it may have something to do with the fear of vaginae.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina_dentata

the vagina is just an evil vortex of pain and agony, many a good man has been ruined in his want and need for it.

the vagina is just an evil vortex of pain and agony, many a good man has been ruined in his want and need for it.

Sort of. :p

But think about the outrage this caused. Would it have been so intense if I had posted pictures of appendectomy? I don't think so. However, while childbirth is something most people look forward to because it brings one of the greatest joys in life, the joy of parenting (not to mention it's the process we should thank to for our own existence), appendicitis is an undesirable condition that nobody wants to have. Yet we're more scandalized by photos of such wonderful, important and miraculous event like childbirth. :confused:

The fear of vaginae.

But think about the outrage this caused. Would it have been so intense if I had posted pictures of appendectomy? I don't think so. However, while childbirth is something most people look forward to because it brings one of the greatest joys in life, the joy of parenting (not to mention it's the process we should thank to for our own existence), appendicitis is an undesirable condition that nobody wants to have. Yet we're more scandalized by photos of such wonderful, important and miraculous event like childbirth. :confused:

The fear of vaginae.

well i was just joking, kinda, a little bit.:p

i was more offended my all the gross bloody pubic hair to be honest, she could have done a better job at ridding herself of it.:p

The fear of vaginae.

There is no cultural expectation that you will experience an appendectomy without anesthetic of any kind. And, the appendectomy doesn't actually go better, and isn't a more safe operation, if you do it without drugs. A big mess.

All in all, the entire birth process only lasts ~12-24 hours out of each person's life. It's really not that big a deal.

There is no cultural expectation that you will experience an appendectomy without anesthetic of any kind. And, the appendectomy doesn't actually go better, and isn't a more safe operation, if you do it without drugs. A big mess.

All in all, the entire birth process only lasts ~12-24 hours out of each person's life. It's really not that big a deal.

I agree. Then why is this stigma attached to it? Why can't we approach childbirth like a normal part of life that it is? Like, I don't know, eating? :confused:

I agree. Then why is this stigma attached to it? Why can't we approach childbirth like a normal part of life that it is? Like, I don't know, eating? :confused:

Most people do, Chica. In fact, most pregnant women look forward to the experience. They know it's going to hurt, but be absolutely worth it. And it is.

I wasn't speaking to you. I responded to a comment of another user, and I was more than fair in my reply to them. I was hoping to actually discuss the points I presented in some sort of manner, but I suppose petty attacks are all that I can expect off of this forum anymore.

Big surprise.

Tags
question teeth
Back
Top Bottom