'I Wish You Lonely' next single...? Update - Official Lyric video posted

UPDATE Oct. 25:

Posted by Famous when dead:

The lyric video had resurfaced:

Also posted as a single on Spotify:

...if there are indeed such things as 'singles' anymore?

about an hour ago í got sent an e-mail update from the MorrisseyVEVO account announcing that they had just uploaded a new video 'I Wish You Lonely (Official Lyric Video) '.

By the time í saw the e-mail and clicked the link, the upload had been removed.

Just in time for Xmas...? :p

Posted by Famous when dead:

Oh...and this too:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the new sound on this record, it reminds me of a modern-day Bona Drag sound as far as the instrumentations go. And his voice is superb and rejuvenated, strong but with a soft bounce.

Great production. Good lyrics. The song blows. I have no idea why people say they like this one, especially when the dream beat follows along with his phrasing, its really annoying. I don't like Spent The Day In Bed either, but I can at least see why people like that one. That being said, Home Is A Question Mark is a classic, and
My Love I'd Do Anything for You and When You Open Your Legs are excellent.

This is a really good and solid driving rock radio ready song perfect for the American market. I can see it getting airplay on the mainstream alternative rock stations around the U.S. if it was recorded by some new upstart band, but since it is an elder statesman they will probably pass on it. I have worked in radio for 30 years and observing the playlists of the alt rock format right now it is all about being young and innovative. As usual there is nowhere for Moz to fit in on radio here. KROQ, KEXP, and a few others will always add him for a week or so out of respect, but then drop it and move on. If he really wants a hit in the states he needs to have Boz create another TMYIMTCIG. That was the first and last time he ever truly broke through. Hell, the "top forty" station in my small city even gave that a few spins when it came out. That probably wouldn't work now though since everything seems to have the constant call and response "whoa's" that radio has loved for the past five years. We need a new rock revolution. We need a new Smiths. I'd settle for a new Suede at this point.

Absolutely loving this song now, wish it had been the first single.
This to me sounds like Morrissey being Morrissey, the very opposite of the oh so radio friendly, yet so ear offending Spent The Day In Bed.

romance gone wrong sounds a bit different,i like the gunship line at the end.for me a very good song don't know about a single though,then again for the caual listeners who were intrigued by spent this could be another route to them buying the album.
Agreed....going waaaaaaaay back to That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, it was either Morrissey or Marr (or both) that were befuddled as to why this song didn't chart....so not much has changed, which is strange because Morrissey was raised on the 'art' and 'making of a single' vs. picking a song from a pile and choosing it to be a single.

I don't think (they) want to throw all the great stuff at once. Same principle when they make the set list for a show. Gotta spread the love a bit to keep people interested. And not heading for the exit (which so far I personally think will be my favorite song).

Morrissey has a choice. He can either be a serious artist or a silly troll. He oscillates wildly between the two options. I think he'd have a far wider audience if he focussed on the former option. I like the music within STDIB but he derails it with the words. That doesn't happen with IWYL. I can engage with it emotionally without having to deal with cognitive 'hiss' from inelegant lyrics. I hope the (unheard) rest of the album contains similar jewels. If he just dropped his whining about not getting enough attention and focussed on his higher talents, he'd get the audience he craves.
Nice. Well said.

Great production. Good lyrics. The song blows. I have no idea why people say they like this one, especially when the dream beat follows along with his phrasing, its really annoying. I don't like Spent The Day In Bed either, but I can at least see why people like that one. That being said, Home Is A Question Mark is a classic, and
My Love I'd Do Anything for You and When You Open Your Legs are excellent.
I'm not English so forgive me, but bloody hell! Because they like it. The same freaking reason why I prefer peach cobbler and someone else likes apple pie.

This has been one of the better threads on here for awhile. Don't derail it. It's fine if you don't like it, but let it be if others do.

The lyric video has resurfaced:

All together now:
'Heroin, heroin...' :)
Regards,
FWD.

(Mods: if someone could edit the front page paste of this post from *had to *has - it would be appreciated - cheers).

Last edited:
just bought it off amazon,sounds fantastic,best quid I will spend today.great vocals and production.
payday and a new song life really doesn't get much better.

It isn't a bum note. Sometimes a musician will do something on a particular word. I suppose you could say he goes wrong on "wrong" but it is intentional. Some people can't stand dissonance. Some love it.

Have a listen to pianist Thelonious Monk playing Raise Four. Every single note is intentional.

That stuff is addictive as hell btw once you click with it! :)

I can see what you are saying,that theres no set rules.les dawson would be proud.

The last humpback whale....ie pointless and extinct

The last humpback whale....ie pointless and extinct
this is morrisseys appeal for me,using words that no other artist would use,hump back whale,reservoir,three bar fire,chip in if anybody can think of any others.

What a lovely song, so driving and lively. Great relief after Spent the Day in Bed.

I like this track.
The live versions worried me as the initial 'ahhs' sounded very odd and not up to his usual 'Yodelling Andy' style.
The production mutes and tames that right down. The live incarnation is missing a lot of bits that sound great on this.
Just odd that it's out before the first physical single is!?
That said, judging by the emails and tweets - the campaign seems to be: don't buy any single tracks, pre-order/buy the whole album and download them when they become available - which is a new one on me, but anything is better than nothing.
Regards,
FWD.

I love the new sound on this record, it reminds me of a modern-day Bona Drag sound as far as the instrumentations go. And his voice is superb and rejuvenated, strong but with a soft bounce.

There is nothing that has been released thus far that sounds anything like the Bona Drag sound. Nothing.
The songs sound like another lazy send-off with nothing very unique, or interesting being played, or said.

I know it's cool to crap on Morrissey's recent work, but I have to be honest, there doesn't seem to be a big single on this album, and the rest seems lazy, aimless, and dull. There just doesn't seem anything for Morrissey to say anymore.

Production wise, song-wise, and lyric wise, World Peace sounds much better than anything we've heard thus far. I was holding out for more clues to the production value, and while the production is technically song, the songs themselves don't seem well developed.

I'm not trying to dump on him. I still follow him for a reason, but I'm also trying to imagine how I would have felt about these songs if I were much younger, and I can't help but believe that I would have seen them as rather pedestrian, and uninteresting.

Solid, Solid, Solid. Sounds great. Good voice and great song. The production is top notch and he seems to be singing with new vigor. What a classy production. The man can do no wrong as far as lyrics and vocals go in my book. This tour should be phenomenal and the album is going to sound great. Glad that he's still pumping them out. He must write constantly !

He must write constantly? 12 songs in 3 years? The Smiths did 50 in that amount of time!

Decent song, but Morrissey's handwriting (or is it Lil' Sammy?) is bleedin' awful. Look at the state of those 'O's! :eek:

The synths are fun, but I'm a synth-nut so there you go :rock: not sure the lyric's really up to much personally, but the arrangement and vocal melody really remind me of Mama Lay Softly... I keep expecting that "life is nothing much to lose..." chorus to slide in :p

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom