I don't think Morrissey is gay.

I reckon he probably is, but still hasn't come round to the idea of bumming blokes.

I quite fancy Russell Brand, but I wouldn't bum him. Urghhhhh.

I could have done without the mental picture, thanks. :eek:

I think that Morrissey is (or was) bisexual. He has said things in the past which suggest that, like in the Earsay interview where he said that he 'can't segregate between the sexes' and there was a later interview (1993? '94?) where he said something along the lines of 'I'm open to a relationship with either a man or a woman'.

Morrissey doesn't reveal his true sexuality in my opinion for two reasons.

He doesn't feel that his private life should be open to such intense scrutiny by the likes of us.(strange how this produces the opposite effect as we all seem obsessed!)

Plus he is very very shrewd and knows that as sad as it may be by coming out on one side or another he will alienate people.Not in a homophobic way but in the "oh thats that fantasy down the tubes" way.

It used to happen in the golden days of Hollywood.The movie bosses knew the minute the likes of Rock Hudson etc were outed their appeal would decline.Right or wrong its human nature.

Morrissey doesn't reveal his true sexuality in my opinion for two reasons.

He doesn't feel that his private life should be open to such intense scrutiny by the likes of us.(strange how this produces the opposite effect as we all seem obsessed!)

I think it depends upon which "us" you speak of. I think that he really wants his core audience to understand. He's said as much. He says that we get him. We understand. I think it's the rest of the world that he doesn't want in on it all.

Sometimes I feel like he's singing his heart to us and he knows that only we know what his poetry means.

Plus he is very very shrewd and knows that as sad as it may be by coming out on one side or another he will alienate people.Not in a homophobic way but in the "oh thats that fantasy down the tubes" way.

True. I would find it all pretty dull if he came out either way.

How can there be any question of what he is? He's told us a million times in both interviews and songs. He doesn't like labels. Personally, I think the way he handles the question of his orientation is BRILLIANT. If everyone on earth would reject labels and do it like Morrissey does it, it'd be a much better place.

Imagine a world where someone tells you that they're seeing someone new and without thinking you'd ask, "Oh, is it a boy or a girl?" Wouldn't that be fantastic?

What Scarlet said. (You made me :):))

My dear Scarlet, as lovely an idea as that is, it just wouldn't work in practice. I think people label themselves gay/lesbian, straight, bi and everything else because they find it easier that way. I think there would be a lot more heartache after having to work out that your prospective partner isn't attracted to members of your sex, or is also attracted to members of your opposite sex. I can't really explain any better than that because I have communication problems, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Labeling yourself can be liberating and empowering, absolutely. But in a matter as complicated as human sexuality, it's absurd to thing a few labels can cover the whole range of possible realities. Have you heard the GOOD news? Rejecting labels does work in practice for some people :)

Hmm. I honestly do think it's a great idea in principle, just that I think classifying your sexual orientation has become a part of human nature.

Actually, classifying your sexual orientation is a rather new thing. I believe it started sometime in the 19th century.

Actually, classifying your sexual orientation is a rather new thing. I believe it started sometime in the 19th century.

Sure, because no other sexual orientation than straight was considered.

And you know this how?

Because he has said so himself. The interview is on Comtesse' site, I will find it for you. He also said to Nick Kent that his issue with relationships was that he had always been attracted to "men and women who weren't attracted to me".

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1992/observer.htm

"The abundance of homo-erotic imagery in his lyrics and album covers (Your Arsenal, for example, shows him brandishing a microphone in a highly suggestive manner) should not, he says, be taken as a veiled declaration of homosexuality. 'I'm not running ahead and leaving clues hidden behind bus stops, as it were,' he says. 'One of my physical encounters was with a man. That was 10 years ago. It was just a very brief, absurd and amusing moment,' adds Morrissey, in his best Oscar Wilde. 'It wasn't love. I have never experienced that.'

Has he slept with women? 'Yes. I feel completely open. If I met somebody tomorrow, male or female, and they loved me and I loved them, I would openly proclaim that I loved them, regardless of what they were. I think people should be loved whatever their gender, whatever their age. I am open to everything. I accept that my experience is different from that of most men. But I feel reasonably normal. I don't feel like a freak. My world is bigger."

Last edited:
Labeling yourself can be liberating and empowering, absolutely. But in a matter as complicated as human sexuality, it's absurd to thing a few labels can cover the whole range of possible realities. Have you heard the GOOD news? Rejecting labels does work in practice for some people :)

I see what you mean with that there are only a few labels to cover a full spectrum, but I don't know. I think that just as accepting a label isn't for everyone, rejecting labels doesn't work for everyone either. If you are comfortable with your sexuality, and feel that you can describe it, then I think labelling yourself is a fine idea.

Even a few decades is enough for something to become human nature. I know that sounds ridiculous and it is because I'm a moron.

Sure, because no other sexual orientation than straight was considered.

There was sexual activity of course, but that's all it was- sexual practice. The perception of sexual orientation as a part of your identity didn't exist.

There was sexual activity of course, but that's all it was- sexual practice. The perception of sexual orientation as a part of your identity didn't exist.

Sure. But did it not exist because it was something you couldn't speak of?

I think Morrissey is gay. Most of his songs to me, seem to be about men. And I think most people would accept he is atleast attracted to men.

But it doesn't really matter does it?

Last edited:
I'd like to contribute to this debate in an intelligent way...But how?

Well, I can testify that Morrissey has never come near my bum, or shown any interest in it. Ever.
I can hear people say "But you're a golden retriever!". Of course. When you don't want to face the truth, you'll cling to the last irrelevant hair...

Haaa, fantasy world. "I've lost my job, but what does it matter, I'm gonna find a better one tomorrow". "I'm gonna win the Euromillion". "Morrissey likes dogs".

:tears: I've been there. I know it's hard, but be strong. Please.

I think that just as accepting a label isn't for everyone, rejecting labels doesn't work for everyone either. If you are comfortable with your sexuality, and feel that you can describe it, then I think labelling yourself is a fine idea.

There is a label for what I am: straight.

I'm more straight than most, I think.

I am still uncomfortable with the label because it implies things about me that I don't necessarily feel are so. In fact, I really resent that label.

Also, though I've yet to be sexually attracted to a woman, I feel I could become attracted to one tomorrow if the right woman came along. I do. I feel it inside of me.

I really believe that we're all born bisexual. Or rather, as Morrissey has said, just sexual... in general. It's a spectrum. Most of us end up farther along on one side of this spectrum or the other. Why do we have to give it a name and tell ourselves that we're limited to this one small set of beliefs, feelings and behaviors? This kind of thinking causes so much pain for so many people of all orientations.

Orientation. Ugh.

I have known people who have experienced a lot of emotional turmoil when they thought they were one thing and then found themselves attracted to someone who didn't fit their label. "What'll my family/friends/community think?! I can't just switch back and forth like that... It'll look bad."

I understand that "the gay community" had to rally together to get the world to change. That was great. I was all for it. The world has changed though. Not enough, but enough that we need to stop putting labels all over everyone. We need to blend together.

If you're "straight" you'll always be the one with the most respect. Straight white males. They have all the luck. We need to erase as much of that as possible. There's no reason for it. We're all just people who want to love... someone. It shouldn't matter who.

You know what else I'm tired of? "Is Morrissey gay? ... Not that there'd be anything wrong with that." I hope I live to see the day when nobody sees the need to add that at the end of their sentences regarding one's preference in partners.

Sorry to go all verbose here, but this is one of my pet peeves. Being "straight", you wouldn't think it would upset me as much as it does, but I've always had problems with people being judged for things they can't help... and for things that people assume they can help, when really they cannot.

Plus, Morrissey got to me when I was a teen and he's colored my entire outlook on life. He has his goofy moments, but in many ways he's rather wise.

<3

Sure. But did it not exist because it was something you couldn't speak of?

It did not exist because the idea of Sexuality didn't exist.

Practicing sexual activity with another person of the same sex was considered to be sinful or immoral for the most part, but it wasn't considered to be derived from a different orientation.

So no, labeling your sexual orientation is not a part of human nature.

Last edited:
Re: Hmmm

You're pretty hung up on "gay." Could you stand "bi?" If you need to put him in a box like that, that is.

I'm not hung up on anything and it's not a question of putting him in a box. I know what I know and when it comes down to it at the end of the day despite all the feel-good speeches about equality of the sexes and blah, blah, blah, people have preferences and Morrissey prefers ladies. Shoot me for saying this. In fact, don't shoot me just let me be please. His circumstances are more complicated than anyone could possibly fathom and that's the truth.

Tags
biboy can i add a tag? delusional fun he can have both he's gay get over it just ignore her pathetic sausages! sending love to your dog stop being such bitches the truth hurts wishful thinking yawn
Back
Top Bottom