how will morrissey be remembered in 50 Years?

The likelihood is he won't be remembered by many. How many popular music stars from 50 years ago can any of us name? Most can only remember the really successful ones.

The likelihood is he won't be remembered by many. How many popular music stars from 50 years ago can any of us name? Most can only remember the really successful ones.

Hmmm...what about Nick Drake, Tim Buckley and Ian Curtis?
Were they really successful?

If the music is really good, people keep listening to their work.

I think that Morrissey is unique enough to be remembered in 50 years. The Smiths were one of these bands who were very significant in terms of influencing the next generation of bands who came along.

And if American Idol and the X-Factor continue to dominate TV and the mass media, then there's an even bigger chance that people like Morrissey will be remembered because the future will continue to be mediocre.

Someone has no common sense at all.
Yes, Danny said not many people remember some pop stars from 50 years ago.

I used examples of cult musicians who are in the same category as Morrissey.
The Smiths is still very influencial and attracting new fans in last 25 years which hints that good music fans will remember him in 50 years time.

Hmmm...what about Nick Drake, Tim Buckley and Ian Curtis?
Were they really successful?

If the music is really good, people keep listening to their work.

I don't think any of them will be remembered in 50 years time either. In fact, they all have much less chance than Morrissey of being remembered.

What I get from this board is most people in the US haven't a clue who he is now, so why would they remember him in the future?

In the UK he might have a bit of a cult following that will go in and out of fashion, but he's not going to be remembered in the way the highly successful artists are.

But Morrissey is successful enough.

I was gonna say I hope *I* am NOT around in 50 years time!

Anyroad, Moz will be an even greater legend as time goes on. He will have more fans in death than he had in life. He will be to Britain what Elvis was to the US.

True for me also...esp if I'm just some drooling veg shell of a person. I seem to think that I'm going to be young and rockin forever :o :p Well, I hope I die before I get old :guitar:

I agree with your second statement wholeheartedly. He has a huge cult following and is gaining a lot of younger fans. Def famous when dead ;)

For me personally I will remember him as that guy I used to whack off to when I was younger, not ENTIRELY sure if that's how the rest of the world will remember him?

I have a plain and simple answer to the original matter in question: YES. :)

Even after he's died. Though it's quite a vulgar thought (his death), so that's all I'll say.

You are not making much sense. You ask how many popular music stars from 50 years ago we can name and then say that most of us can only remember the really successful ones. Duh. Is there some disconnect between success and popularity that I'm missing?

Off the top of my head the 1950s popstars I can name are Elvis, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Jerry Lee Lewis, Frank Sinatra, Martha and the Vandellas, Al Martino (a minor star my mum liked), the Supremes, Johnnie Ray, plus several of the lesser knowns that Moz liked such as Billy Fury, the Cookies, Timi Yuro...

Some who had success and were popular in their time are forgotten now. But the ones who emerge with an enduring legacy had passionate fans who wouldn't forget them; they became even more important after dying or disbanding they they ever were in "their time" -- such as the Velvet Underground.

In 50 years I really hope he's still alive ... I'm actually terrified of him dying.

Oh I'm positively terrified of him dying as well. =| I dread the day. I know it has to happen, but I dread it all the same. D:

I know I'll be unconsolable for days when it happens.

I started seriously thinking about it one day and just bawled.
But then I started my period and the :tears: made complete sense.;)
Don't get me wrong - I will be devastated when it happens, but I don't want to cry about it yet.

Can you imagine all the flowers?!:)

You are not making much sense. You ask how many popular music stars from 50 years ago we can name and then say that most of us can only remember the really successful ones. Duh. Is there some disconnect between success and popularity that I'm missing?

Off the top of my head the 1950s popstars I can name are Elvis, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Jerry Lee Lewis, Frank Sinatra, Martha and the Vandellas, Al Martino (a minor star my mum liked), the Supremes, Johnnie Ray, plus several of the lesser knowns that Moz liked such as Billy Fury, the Cookies, Timi Yuro...

Some who had success and were popular in their time are forgotten now. But the ones who emerge with an enduring legacy had passionate fans who wouldn't forget them; they became even more important after dying or disbanding they they ever were in "their time" -- such as the Velvet Underground.

When I said popular I meant "popular music" as a genre. And the people you've mentioned were the most successful ones, plus a few personal favourites you'd remember but most other people wouldn't. I'm sure there will be a small amount of people that will remember Morrissey but I don't think he'll be remembered in the way Elvis, Holly and Sinatra are.

I started seriously thinking about it one day and just bawled.
But then I started my period and the :tears: made complete sense.;)
Don't get me wrong - I will be devastated when it happens, but I don't want to cry about it yet.

Can you imagine all the flowers?!:)

awwww, I have exactly the same.

The flowers....oh they'd be gorgeous....and loads of 'em. Flowers make me happy, but nothing could quite lift my spirits on a day like that. :(
Sorry, said I wasn't gonna discuss this. :D

Back
Top Bottom