Morrissey Central "FRIDAY 26 JULY" (April 13, 2024)

full

On Friday 26 July, Warner Records will re-issue Morrissey's 1993 live in Paris album, Beethoven Was Deaf. The release is global, and the album will be available on CD, black vinyl, and orange vinyl.
The album originally reached #13 in England, but was not released in the U.S. The venue is the Zenith in Paris.

Two special event concerts are planned to launch the July release. Please watch this site for details. New sleeve above.

Beethoven Was Deaf to be reissued: https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/friday-26-july

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take this as good news of sorts. Though it does also seem to be more re-release fodder while they continue to fumble over more important matters in the background.

the new cover is an upgrade on the original,never liked that cover.
where and when could these shows even take place after the quarry debacle.
this is one for the completists and people who like orange.

Do Warner records own the Smiths catalogue? Strange that they want to release a live album 31 years later. According to wikipedia, EMI deleted the album in 2010.

Maybe if there is a positive response to this, they could be open to releasing "Without Music".

I have the vinyl from back in the day and the photos (cover and gatefold) were taken from the concert. Why ruin the re-issue with a photo taken decades later with a different band. How can Warners be so stupid? The newer cover makes Moz look cranky and confused.

b3VbkpC6Hxh_pgcUOMx6sroFQfg4zdXcyfxTuulKrv9rpsfR4CjYPn6ruJgp7RmAkENUZ6FLqnZ5T_QNe_sauozJOAd3sPKJkBKL5UxqJYHQvdI

Not bad but an odd choice for "sleeve art". Kind of looks something from a no-name French label that keeps on churning out public domain re-issues.

Oh, but, anyway. He looked wonderful in 1993.

morrissey.jpg
morrissey.jpg

So a rerelease of an old record that we've all heard a thousand times, with a horrible new sleeve. What on earth is that dreadful picture?

brave? well, it’s been a while since he’s used any recent photos of himself for promo or product.

I, like most here, would have preferred something from the correct time period.

Then again, I don’t know if he has any say in the matter of what Warners releases or how, due to contracts(?).

Like you say, he may not have had any choice. I think that's what I meant by saying brave/audacious though - I'd like him to be choosing more recent images when he has the opportunity. But I get the feeling he's not embracing the physical aspect of ageing in the same way as some artists do. He is quite identified with the image of his hair for example (which is inevitably going to change rapidly with the impact of age and health)

“I do maintain that if your hair is wrong, your entire life is wrong"

Might also explain the recent photos of him wearing baseball caps. But if that's the case, it only serves to remind me that he has insecurities in exactly the same way as I do. And I love him for that too.

Last edited:
I have the vinyl from back in the day and the photos (cover and gatefold) were taken from the concert. Why ruin the re-issue with a photo taken decades later with a different band. How can Warners be so stupid? The newer cover makes Moz look cranky and confused.

b3VbkpC6Hxh_pgcUOMx6sroFQfg4zdXcyfxTuulKrv9rpsfR4CjYPn6ruJgp7RmAkENUZ6FLqnZ5T_QNe_sauozJOAd3sPKJkBKL5UxqJYHQvdI

A lovely image. Ahhh, the memories. 💕

well you can’t see the new band in the photo cropped for the new sleeve. So at least they took that in mind.

The choice of cover photo is a bit odd. It's like re-releasing Queen at Wembley '86 with Freddie without the mustache and with long hair on the cover :crazy:

It's a good cover picture but kind of odd it's for a re-issue and the picture isn't even from the right time period. Also odd is the edited mic cable cutting across M which, once you notice it, you can't unsee it

Back
Top Bottom