Morrissey Central "FRIDAY 26 JULY" (April 13, 2024)

full

On Friday 26 July, Warner Records will re-issue Morrissey's 1993 live in Paris album, Beethoven Was Deaf. The release is global, and the album will be available on CD, black vinyl, and orange vinyl.
The album originally reached #13 in England, but was not released in the U.S. The venue is the Zenith in Paris.

Two special event concerts are planned to launch the July release. Please watch this site for details. New sleeve above.

Beethoven Was Deaf to be reissued: https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/friday-26-july

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do they make so much history because of the photo on the album? Morrissey is like that. It's this, this, and this..

Attachments

• 42c4d8d7d3212ec114752dc8b41b64b9.jpg
    42c4d8d7d3212ec114752dc8b41b64b9.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 366e593dd159fb384ccf76adb85de05a.jpg
    366e593dd159fb384ccf76adb85de05a.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
  • d49db26ee20c0a7160f3afe642d29875.jpg
    d49db26ee20c0a7160f3afe642d29875.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 35b2bfbeb02334ad45bde6e98e467b15.jpg
    35b2bfbeb02334ad45bde6e98e467b15.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
If I’m 12, what does that make you? A toddler in the middle of your terrible twos? I’ll ASPLAiN it all to you like you are in your terrible twos, any case. We’ll want to make sure we have all our bases covered here.

This photo captures a moment in time, which a world renowned and world class singer and lyricist is FULLY inhabiting that moment, on stage. On the same stage, that has been his entire life.

The photo accurately reflects his physicality, and the physicality and energy that he brings to his performances, as well as his dedication and passion. Further, the photo also captures a fleeting millisecond that was private for him in that moment, in which he wasn’t looking at the audience, and which he instead was living. Not to even mention, that yes, in addition to all of that, his face is gorgeous and his his expression is richly expressive - of consternation, of his dedication, and of his passion, all rolled into one.

If you don’t know this, and if you can’t see this, well.

There is an authenticity in Morrissey and in his work, that goes beyond discussions of whether any particular lyrics are autobiographical, metaphorical, or a narrative about some other undisclosed party. That authenticity and his fervor, and the urgency of life - are literally all captured in this image.

I clearly missed the memo that dictated that Morrissey can’t have photographs of himself as album covers. Photos that clearly reflect and convey his passion and the energy of the concerts.

You go through life cracking these pathetic quips all over this site that frankly never pass as jokes - because they’re never funny. Now followed by your misplaced criticism of an artist who is worth his weight in gold - and whose worth and contributions to music, to the arts, and to culture - was already established many decades ago.

The cover is great, and he’s great, and you are a REALLY great example of just one type of person (of many) that I’m absolutely mortified for him that he has to have in his “fanbase”. I mean, if you tried less hard and wasted less time with the bad jokes, you would have lots of time to try to develop some nuance and some depth.

The fact that anybody has to explain what’s great about this photo on this thread, to anyone… 🙄

Love him ❤️. And he deserves so, so, SO much better than he gets here.
Now you're the favourite in my "who on here is Morrissey?" stakes!

If I’m 12, what does that make you? A toddler in the middle of your terrible twos? I’ll ASPLAiN it all to you like you are in your terrible twos, in any case. We’ll want to make sure we have all our bases covered here.

This photo captures a moment in time, which a world renowned and world class singer and lyricist is FULLY inhabiting that moment, on stage. On the same stage, that has been his entire life.

The photo accurately reflects his physicality, and the physicality and energy that he brings to his performances, as well as his dedication and passion. Further, the photo also captures a fleeting millisecond that was private for him in that moment, in which he wasn’t looking at the audience, and which he instead was living. Not to even mention, that yes, in addition to all of that, his face is gorgeous and his expression is richly expressive - of consternation, of his dedication, and of his passion, all rolled into one.

If you don’t know this, and if you can’t see this, well.

There is an authenticity in Morrissey and in his work, that goes beyond discussions of whether any particular lyrics are autobiographical, metaphorical, or a narrative about some other undisclosed party. That authenticity and his fervor, and the urgency of life - are literally all captured in this image.

I clearly missed the memo that dictated that Morrissey can’t have photographs of himself as album covers. Photos that clearly reflect and convey his passion and the energy of the concerts.

You go through life cracking these pathetic quips all over this site that frankly never pass as jokes - because they’re never funny. Now followed by your misplaced criticism of an artist who is worth his weight in gold - and whose worth and contributions to music, to the arts, and to culture - was already established many decades ago.

The cover is great, and he’s great, and you are a REALLY great example of just one type of person (of many) that I’m absolutely mortified for him that he has to have in his “fanbase”. I mean, if you tried less hard and wasted less time with the bad jokes, you would have lots of time to try to develop some nuance and some depth.

The fact that anybody has to explain what’s great about this photo on this thread, to anyone… 🙄

Love him ❤️. And he deserves so, so, SO much better than he gets here.

Blah Blah Blah. Too long, didn't read. I don't care how chubbly wubbly you find the image. It is NOT a good cover image, there are literally thousands of great images of Morrissey and this isn't one of them. If he wants the record to sell and we know that he does, he better put his foot down and change it. Good Day Sir!

Blah Blah Blah. Too long, didn't read. I don't care how chubbly wubbly you find the image. It is NOT a good cover image, there are literally thousands of great images of Morrissey and this isn't one of them. If he wants the record to sell and we know that he does, he better put his foot down and change it. Good Day Sir!
What evvs, Trevs! :ROFLMAO:

So, this was recorded during the Your Arsenal tour? The new band of session players is going to ruin it, they can't play like the other musicians did. I am not sure this is doing him any favors, the differences between then and now will be quite stark.

It does look a little bit "stumbling drunk man does Karaoke"
It's not a terrible photo but i can see what you mean.

I'm with you on your general opinion on live albums*. Although I love experiencing live music. They just don't really grab me, including dear ol' Mozzer's efforts (both with that band and solo). I'd prefer to watch a video eg Introducing Morrissey.

(*I quite like The Who Live At Leeds though.)

Can't see the point in this Beethoven reissue, I'm sure someone, somewhere will buy it.
Johnnie Ray Live at the London Palladium is a great live album.

Last edited:
Theory:
Morrissey Camp is not the source for the design. They don't like the shadow at the bottom of the shirt, but for whatever reason, Warner is not going to go back in with the clone stamp to remove it. So Morrissey camp circles the shadow and passive aggressively posts the cover because they know the nature of Solo. After all, Morrissey camp is playing nice with Pete Galli, but there's still some room for plausible deniability posting this cover with their subtle lassoing. And Morrissey camp is never going to be a breeze to work with, they've got to live up to their reputation somehow to establish hand in some way.

I have the vinyl from back in the day and the photos (cover and gatefold) were taken from the concert.

I got the CD. A rocking album that got strong reviews. NME's picked up the news - https://www.nme.com/news/music/morr...and-teases-two-special-event-concerts-3618422

The personnel mix is interesting. Mike Hinc worked on it. So did Jo Slee. It signals movement. All good :rock:

Beethoven Was Deaf 1.jpg

Beethoven Was Deaf 2.jpg

Re. Beethoven in the title and popular music, a Grammy award going to a black musician has spawned a spat along the lines of Beyonce's cover of country music; both unbelievably petty and ignorant, imo - https://www.yesmagazine.org/social-justice/2022/03/31/grammys-classical-music-black-artists

What is going on in his head? It's a sacrilege, to cheaply and historically wrong alienate the original cover motif. Hopefully, he'll also changes the tracklist and include new songs from live concerts in 2023 or (Haha) from 2006.
Who is that in the avatar? It looks like a heavy photoshop of Alan W trying and failing to look like M ?

Two special concerts? Hmm. You simply can’t trust him to actually turn up these days.
But if they’re in commuting distance, I might take a chance on him.
my hopes were fecking high for two minutes . Busy with work , kids and trying to move but could have done with some M live . What makes me think this just a way to flog a rerelease is A) the choice of cover , why use a picture when he was already looking past it and unlike his younger self . When he could have put a picture of himself in his prime , when the LP was recorded ?
B) the fact it’s a Getty pic from google or looks like it
I hope I’m wrong though
M looked happy in that picture in the road the other day . I’m starting to think he is in semi retirement, played the USA crowd ,for a few years , made bank and decided to get back to the uk . Wouldn’t it be great if he dumped the USA band and got some brits and started making full British themed music again , full circle to smiths world ?

I
I have the vinyl from back in the day and the photos (cover and gatefold) were taken from the concert. Why ruin the re-issue with a photo taken decades later with a different band. How can Warners be so stupid? The newer cover makes Moz look cranky and confused.

b3VbkpC6Hxh_pgcUOMx6sroFQfg4zdXcyfxTuulKrv9rpsfR4CjYPn6ruJgp7RmAkENUZ6FLqnZ5T_QNe_sauozJOAd3sPKJkBKL5UxqJYHQvdI

I fecking agree , I’m hoping that is a place holder picture just for the M central post
a gig is a document of the time , it’s crazy to put that picture up . When he was already past his prime , he could have keyed into the 90s solo magic I’m not trying to speak smack , just being objecting. I think objectively it’s fair to say by ringleaders in terms of looks and excitement at gigs , he wasnt anywhere near the M of 91 to 999
My hope is the record sells well . I don’t think it has the power to revive his career though

Back
Top Bottom