Evolution of Morrissey‘s Handwriting

Yegmusic

With an addition to my collection of a 17-year old Morrissey‘s letter to a close friend, here are three documents/papers in my collection summarizing the evolution of Morrissey‘s handwriting.

This shows how Moz‘s handwriting evolved from a very elegant cursive one before the child-like one he is now known.

The pictures are as follows:

1. Pre-Smiths era, Moz‘s letter to a close friend (1976)

2. Late-Smiths era, Moz‘s handwritten instruction to the record sleeve art of their final album “Strangeways, Here We Come” (1987)

3. Post-Smiths era, Moz‘s handwritten requests for the music videos to be added to his pre-shows (2012-2013 World Tour)

D019E538-8786-4442-ABC3-52E7400D0FC6.jpeg

AFA440A9-2740-4B0B-92CE-2AA1AA5C2B1A.jpeg

CC987F7E-DFD9-42A8-8078-8CAE824B32CC.jpeg

—————
Keith,
Insta: @Yegmusic,
Edmonton, AB,
Canada

Last edited:
perhaps when he was younger he was more worried about making his writing more elegant and as he got older he stopped caring as much
I think the speculations of other members here (from a different thread) is also possible. James Dean, who is Moz‘s idol, had similar style of cursive handwriting, and childlike capital letter non-cursive handwriting. I am sure Moz did a lot of research about James Dean when he was young, considering he wrote a book about the latter.

Honestly, that note at the bottom - he was writing on small paper, and it seems like just a 'quick note'. The first pic is a letter - written with a personal flair for a friend. The second one is the design of the Strangeways sleeve - which needed to be carefully/precisely written w/main instructions in all-caps as well (with exception to the letter i). :D Regardless of the years they were made, each example displays a completely different purpose for writing something by hand.

I think things are just fine! If you think about it, nobody writes the same for every purpose/situation. For sure though, your collection is priceless!

Last edited:
Honestly, that note at the bottom - he was writing on small paper, and it seems like just a 'quick note'. The first pic is a letter - written with a personal flair for a friend. The second one is the design of the Strangeways sleeve - which needed to be carefully/precisely written w/main instructions in all-caps as well (with exception to the letter i). :D Regardless of the years they were made, each example displays a completely different purpose for writing something by hand.

I think things are just fine! If you think about it, nobody writes the same for every purpose/situation. For sure though, your collection is priceless!
Yes, these points are definitely true!

Tags
autograph handwriting jo slee letter rare
Back
Top Bottom