Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel

B

Billy Budd

I'm sure no introduction is needed to another fine songwriter of the past 25 years, so I will just say that this album is fantastic, his best since Blood & Chocolate. Not that his work and numerous collaborations in between this period have been bad, far from it, but 'When I Was Cruel' is really refreshing, considering most of the bands and artists I've grown up with have seen their better days languishing in the past.

Buy it now, Billy Budd says so.

> I'm sure no introduction is needed to another fine songwriter of the past
> 25 years, so I will just say that this album is fantastic, his best since
> Blood & Chocolate. Not that his work and numerous collaborations in
> between this period have been bad, far from it, but 'When I Was Cruel' is
> really refreshing, considering most of the bands and artists I've grown up
> with have seen their better days languishing in the past.

> Buy it now, Billy Budd says so.

I have a friend who is a huge famn of the Artist Formerly Known as Declan Macmanus.I suppose he is in that great British school of songwriters like XTC, The Kinks and Squeeze.The man has talent without doubt but I am afraid I would always prefer to listen to Nick Cave.

Still.... a good recommendation Billy. Whatever floats your boat as they say. Oh... I just remebered I have the E.C album "Get Happy" which is great!

I love EC, one of the best. A solo gig I attended at The Palladium years ago was fantastic. Elv got out 'The Wheel of Fortune'. The wheel had a bunch of songs (not just his) printed on it. He played what/wherever the wheel stopped. He did a storming version of "Knowing me, knowing you", the old Abba tune.

However, I agree with John. Nick Cave is to be revered. Probably the finest singer/songwriter WORKING. The Birthday Party at The Palais... a drunken blur.Gawd bless the stripper.

By the way, Elvis slagged Morrissey off a few years ago. Something about Moz creating great song titles, but not great songs...

> I'm sure no introduction is needed to another fine songwriter of the past
> 25 years, so I will just say that this album is fantastic, his best since
> Blood & Chocolate. Not that his work and numerous collaborations in
> between this period have been bad, far from it, but 'When I Was Cruel' is
> really refreshing, considering most of the bands and artists I've grown up
> with have seen their better days languishing in the past.

> Buy it now, Billy Budd says so.

I am an Elvis admirer for sure.. the full version of 'I Want You'.. is heart stoppingly beautiful and so honest, it spoke to me for a period.. but I am sorry to be so critical, I always find his albums 'patchy' affairs (apart from the legendary 'Armed Forces'.. But if you're saying this goes against that grain, then I may try it out for size..

> I am an Elvis admirer for sure.. the full version of 'I Want You'.. is
> heart stoppingly beautiful and so honest, it spoke to me for a period..
> but I am sorry to be so critical, I always find his albums 'patchy'
> affairs (apart from the legendary 'Armed Forces'.. But if you're saying
> this goes against that grain, then I may try it out for size..

Oh My GOD!!! An intelligent conversion taking place about music on Morrissey Solo.See what happens when the Americans are sleeping:)

> I love EC, one of the best. A solo gig I attended at The Palladium years
> ago was fantastic. Elv got out 'The Wheel of Fortune'. The wheel had a
> bunch of songs (not just his) printed on it. He played what/wherever the
> wheel stopped. He did a storming version of "Knowing me, knowing
> you", the old Abba tune.

> However, I agree with John. Nick Cave is to be revered. Probably the
> finest singer/songwriter WORKING. The Birthday Party at The Palais... a
> drunken blur.Gawd bless the stripper.

> By the way, Elvis slagged Morrissey off a few years ago. Something about
> Moz creating great song titles, but not great songs...

I'm not into Nick Cave that much, I'm suprised to hear Elvis Costello slag of Moz, seen as I remember reading him say that Still Ill was one of his favourite songs.

Back
Top Bottom