Dissertation at university...

GirlAfraid23

I'm thinking of doing some kind of dissertation on morrissey/the smiths...

I do sociology so I was thinking something along the lines of how the music has affected people politically/socially...I may have to do questionnaire/interviews...and I'm allowed to do them through the internet - yay I can use you lot :)
If anyone is willing!
Perhaps how The smiths affected people from 1980s onwards...socially & politically...anyone have any ideas? or feedback? :)

You should read punky's University of Limerick symposium thread in event forum.

Last edited:

I do sociology so I was thinking something along the lines of how the music has affected people politically/socially...I may have to do questionnaire/interviews...and I'm allowed to do them through the internet - yay I can use you lot :) If anyone is willing! Perhaps how The smiths affected people from 1980s onwards...socially & politically...anyone have any ideas? or feedback? :)

be sure to do a thorough literature review, dude.
there must have been umpteen (if not slightly more) dissertations about Moz/Smiths...

I do sociology so I was thinking something along the lines of how the music has affected people politically/socially...I may have to do questionnaire/interviews...and I'm allowed to do them through the internet - yay I can use you lot :)
If anyone is willing!
Perhaps how The smiths affected people from 1980s onwards...socially & politically...anyone have any ideas? or feedback? :)

I am rarely helpful but i could do a questionnaire for you.

If anyone is willing!

Hmmmm, I'd be careful if I were you. A dissertation is meant to be a serious piece of work, you don't want it to become some kind of idolatrous (not sure if that's a word) essay to the greatness of Morrissey. You need to write something that you know the people reading and MARKING it are going to like and be relatively familiar with. There's a danger they'll just brand you a psycho Morrissey fanatic.

There's a time and a place for Morrissey. Important university essays is not one of them. In my opinion.

Hmmmm, I'd be careful if I were you. A dissertation is meant to be a serious piece of work, you don't want it to become some kind of idolatrous (not sure if that's a word) essay to the greatness of Morrissey. You need to write something that you know the people reading and MARKING it are going to like and be relatively familiar with. There's a danger they'll just brand you a psycho Morrissey fanatic.

There's a time and a place for Morrissey. Important university essays is not one of them. In my opinion.

I see your point here however I wouldnt turn it into a fanatical obsession with the Moz, more the social and political aspects arising from it

I see your point here however I wouldnt turn it into a fanatical obsession with the Moz, more the social and political aspects arising from it

Were there really any social or political aspects to it though? I mean, The Smiths and Morrissey have made a big impact on most of our lives, but most people couldn't give a shit about Morrissey. I don't think he is, or has ever been, famous or popular enough to affect big change in either politics or society.

Were there really any social or political aspects to it though? I mean, The Smiths and Morrissey have made a big impact on most of our lives, but most people couldn't give a shit about Morrissey. I don't think he is, or has ever been, famous or popular enough to affect big change in either politics or society.

Well the way in which songs like reel around, headmaster ritual, handsome devil and suffer little children made the headlines makes me think differentley...there are countless videos on youtube of news reels in the 80s where he has been a political standpoint and I think he remains one today...maybe just my opinion, I'm still undecided on whether I could get a dissertation out of it though

Were there really any social or political aspects to it though? I don't think he is, or has ever been, famous or popular enough to affect big change in either politics or society.

How many people became vegetarian in the 80's because of Morrissey?
How many people changed their views on royalty / Tories / Live Aid / sexuality in the 80's because of Morrissey / The Smiths?
I was ''there in the 80's'' and I'd say ''quite a lot of young people''.... enough to bring Morrissey to the attention of the authorities..... MP's discussed Morrissey's comments in the House of Commons.... so he was clearly rubbing the establishment up the wrong way

Jukebox Jury

How many people changed their views on royalty / Tories / Live Aid / sexuality in the 80's because of Morrissey / The Smiths?
I was ''there in the 80's'' and I'd say ''quite a lot of young people''.... enough to bring Morrissey to the attention of the authorities.....

Jukebox Jury

Yeah, in your social circle. As much as we want to believe Morrissey is the best and most influential person who ever set foot on the earth, the fact is he is a dated, irrelevant, non-entity today. And he was in the mid-80s too.

Darling of the music press because he gives a good interview. 90% of the general public (if even that) couldn't give a flying f*** about him. To them he is and always will be the miserable, gladioli swinging, This Charming Man singing odd-ball.

He never has, and never will, change anything (politically or socially) beyond his relatively small circle of fan(atic)s.

Last edited:
I was ''there in the 80's'' and I'd say ''quite a lot of young people''.... enough to bring Morrissey to the attention of the authorities..... MP's discussed Morrissey's comments in the House of Commons.... so he was clearly rubbing the establishment up the wrong way

Jukebox Jury

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for thanks Jukebox :)

Firstly, in Britain at least, the Smiths were considerably more than a fringe phenomenon. Secondly, why should you assume that someone has to be really broadly famous and popular in order to affect society? Few of the most influential figures in intellectual history have been. On the contrary, they have tended to be relatively unknown figures read only by a few people. How many people do you think actually read the works of John Locke, for example? Did most people care about Adam Smith? It's more about who you influence.

cheers

Firstly, in Britain at least, the Smiths were considerably more than a fringe phenomenon. Secondly, why should you assume that someone has to be really broadly famous and popular in order to affect society? Few of the most influential figures in intellectual history have been. On the contrary, they have tended to be relatively unknown figures read only by a few people. How many people do you think actually read the works of John Locke, for example? Did most people care about Adam Smith? It's more about who you influence.

cheers

John Locke?? Adam Smith?? Who??!!!!

Wait, isn't Adam Smith the man who does the Inland Revenue "tax doesn't have to be taxing" adverts?

Back
Top Bottom