Bona Drag reissue 4th Oct, remastered & extra tracks

Re: Bona Drag reissue 27th Sep, remastered & extra tracks

It is a money grabbing thing though, the extra tracks are widely available for download and have been for ages! The pictures probably have also been on this site somewhere too! And if nobody hasn't already got Bona Drag on this forum then what are you doing on here? I doubt Morrissey will do a Bona Drag tour, just by the fact he has never done a tour on any other re-issue of an album, especially if it's a comp! He might just add a few tracks into a tour just like he does with The Smiths songs...if he ever does one in the next few years

Edit: I agree with King Leer, if Morrissey is going to release something decent, then he should release the Wolverhampton 88 gig on a dvd release! Now that'll be worth buying!

:rolleyes:

Re: The compilation has now been remastered and overseen by Morrissey, and is updated

"The compilation has now been remastered and overseen by Morrissey, and is updated..."

"...Directing the artwork for the reissue, Morrissey has ..."

So, how long ago was the remastering done, if he had the EMI meeting only weeks ago? Was the meeting to finalize the project? It couldn't have been to start it.
Who else was involved?
The Rick Astley picture was from 1989...was it something Morrissey came across while getting photos for this project?
So many questions....

I'd like to know, too.

However, since I'm in a cynical mood, I'll take a stab at what I feel is the actual answer: EMI is not "remastering" anything other than (as Bluebirds put it elsewhere) "making it louder". This probably isn't a serious remastering job. I would bet they've got the capacity to run the original recordings through a digital processor to "clean them up" or "polish" them in a very short space of time (read: BATCH CONVERT). The change is enough to make you think, "Yeah, okay, they did something there", but you won't be able to say what. Placebo effect.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but on a technical level they would need serious help from Stephen Street, no? I don't think Street's keen on going back in to remaster anything for him.

For those who are going to buy this, I hope I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Good call on the Astley photo, you're probably right.

Last edited:

Come on if we're gonna do a reissue lets DO a reissue.

Re: Bona Drag reissue, remastered, extra tracks

Strangely I kind of agree it isn't wholly about the money. He must be aware that this re-release isn't going to shift "units"
Does anyone know the sales figures for the Southpaw and Maladjusted reissues?
I just don't get it. At all.
Some of these tracks have now featured on 5 or 6 official releases. Its extracting the urine in a big, big way.

Southpaw scraped into the top 40 in its first week of release - Maladjusted didn't. I'd guess Southpaw rerelease has sold around 10-20,000 in the UK, and Mala 5-10,000.
Bona re-release will do quite a lot better than those two in the short and long run. It contains his two best-known singles, and is widely considered to be his best compilation album - some list it as their favourite Moz album full stop. It's also being (re)released in a year when he's not putting out any new stuff.
It'll go top 30, possibly top 20 for one week. If Suedehead or Edils was also re-issued the album'd go top 10.
Anyway, it's pretty good news as far I'm concerned. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Another idea is that there is simply no logical reason behind it...maybe there isn't one

Haha, I like how one person likes to disect a reissue and then suddenly everyone goes WOAH, THIS MUST HAVE MEANING! When in fact it is just a re-issue with a few extra tracks, that is all it is folks...no massive bona drag tour, no massive follow up Bona drag album...a simple reissue

Haha, I like how one person likes to disect a reissue and then suddenly everyone goes WOAH, THIS MUST HAVE MEANING! When in fact it is just a re-issue with a few extra tracks, that is all it is folks...no massive bona drag tour, no massive follow up Bona drag album...a simple reissue

We don't really know what's going on behind the scenes, which keeps us on our toes, but still, yes, I like your idea - and the release! :thumb:

(Shock admission: I'm one of those who never picked up the original Bona Drag compilation. :eek: )

Me neither, but I'm 17 so who cares!

Another idea is that there is simply no logical reason behind it...maybe there isn't one

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NW8uQnNBtr0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NW8uQnNBtr0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

:thumb::p

Come on, it is the truth though in a blunt way! If your a fan of Morrissey on a Morrissey forum then you'd think you'd already have Bona Drag coz it's a comp!

I didnt realise there were these rules on Becoming A Morrissey Fan but I would love to get a hold of them...;)

Anyway.

Good comment on the main page about what Morrissey could/ should re-release as a reissue. Something that could actually be perceived as a Value For Money release.

He apologises for releasing Swords at the end of last year and then as his next release comes out with the sparkling idea of a remastered Bona Drag. With shitty extra tracks. You couldn't make it up!

Janice Long just played 'Hairdresser On Fire' (christ, it sounded good on radio) and mentioned all the blah blah about Bona Redux.
Then, with a smile in her voice, said 'There is other stuff to tell you, but I am sworn to secrecy'
Janice is in regular e-mail contact with Moz.
I feel queasy, partly cos of the usual excitement about impending Morrisseyness, partly cos I'm sodding skint. Still paying off the last adventure. So I want a tour, and yet I don't...:sick:

Janice Long just played 'Hairdresser On Fire' (christ, it sounded good on radio) and mentioned all the blah blah about Bona Redux.
Then, with a smile in her voice, said 'There is other stuff to tell you, but I am sworn to secrecy'
Janice is in regular e-mail contact with Moz.
I feel queasy, partly cos of the usual excitement about impending Morrisseyness, partly cos I'm sodding skint. Still paying off the last adventure. So I want a tour, and yet I don't...:sick:
such a tease:D:cool:..im really curious to know what is it..what do you think it will be joe?

Reissue, Repackage, extra tracks, deluxe editions.....
Cheers Moz

Southpaw scraped into the top 40 in its first week of release - Maladjusted didn't. I'd guess Southpaw rerelease has sold around 10-20,000 in the UK, and Mala 5-10,000.
Bona re-release will do quite a lot better than those two in the short and long run. It contains his two best-known singles, and is widely considered to be his best compilation album - some list it as their favourite Moz album full stop. It's also being (re)released in a year when he's not putting out any new stuff.
It'll go top 30, possibly top 20 for one week. If Suedehead or Edils was also re-issued the album'd go top 10.
Anyway, it's pretty good news as far I'm concerned. Looking forward to the next instalment.

I disagree. Why would the inclusion of Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday propel folks to purchase this? They were released on the Greatest Hits album all of 2 f---ing years ago.

How re-releasing a stop-gap compilation from 1990 with extra tracks is wonderful news is beyond me?

I may quit while I'm ahead now as I'm starting to sound slightly obsessive in my negativity...

My personal opinion is that Morrissey is squeezing the goodwill out of his audience to gargantuan proportions by a lack of artistic and quality control. Is it about makiong a fast buck? Does that hotel bill have to be paid? Has he now got to pay Capital Tax considering he's seemingly been in the UK quite a bit since the start of the year?

Tags
bona drag
Back
Top Bottom