Morrissey Central "Beethoven U.S.A." (April 25, 2024)

BEETHOVEN U.S.A.

April 25, 2024

1000019151.jpg

Morrissey's 'Beethoven Was Deaf' live recording in Paris 1992 will have its first U.S. release on Friday 26 July on both CD and vinyl. The gatefold LP will be available on black vinyl and also on orange vinyl.
The artwork is new, and the album is pressed on the Sire label. 'Beethoven Was Deaf' was originally released worldwide excluding the U.S.A on 10 May 1993.

Related link:

Last edited by a moderator:
This photo is still awful as a cover. Of course the black line is gone, I don't think it was ever on the original cover in the first place, but added accidentally while posting it on Central, the same way all those low resolution pics come on there. You can still see in the original post on Central, that somebody cut the photo and left some edges, they really should get someone, who is able to do basic webdesign...
Morrissey didn't claim the cover art so maybe he wasn't involved in the process? (but he also doesn't seem to mind, otherwise there surely would have been a snarky remark of some sorts by now).
As for the gigs...time to announce them is running! Am curious if it will happen at all, would be funny if he chooses a totally random and unrelated city/country for it, or like Beethoven's place of birth or death or something.

It's not even a good photograph. It looks like a picture taken in the moments between better photos being captured. In fact, he looks annoyed. Very strange choice.

The gigs supposedly taking place to support the release only have 12 weeks to get everything sorted by. Quite short notice.

It is baffling why, of all the photos of Morrissey on stage, they've chosen that one. I just can't get my head around it. It keeps me awake at night.

There were at least 2 professional photographers at The Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, Netherlands (December 20, 2006):

Paul Bergen (his image is used in OP):

Screenshot_20240425-193145~2.png
Screenshot_20240425-193209~2.png

And Peter Pakvis:

Screenshot_20240425-191942~2.png
Screenshot_20240425-192006~2.png

There's a few better choices in the above perhaps?
FWD.

Add my voice to the "why the f*** would you use a 2006 photo for the reissue of an album recorded in 1992" chorus.

But also, if he plans on having these 2 shows that are set to "launch" this reissue with his current band.... then it really is all over for his career.

So sad - reissuing this live album with original artwork AND live shows performing it with the 1992 band would have been the home run Morrissey needs. Unfortunately, I see him playing these shows with his current joke of a band. Who would have thought it could get worse than two cancelled arena shows for YATQ?

He likes images with the microphone cable flicking, a few have been used like that

I got he CD around 1994. Guess it was an import; never knew it wasn't officially released in USA.
Great album. Best version of Jack the Ripper.

Odd, though, to change cover pic to one not from the actual Paris gig (or at least contemporaneous with it).
Yeah it was odd that it wasn’t released in the US at the time. Height of his US popularity. KROQ in LA played the live version of Jack the Ripper from it pretty regularly at the time. Unless you bought the album on import (pretty pricey in those days) the track wouldn’t be available commercially in the US until the US only Now My Heart is Full single a year+ later. Of course the single went unnoticed after not properly promoting V&I and cancelling sold out shows in LA and NYC.

Don’t believe said shows are documented at Passions website. LA show was supposed to be at the Grand Olympic auditorium, well known for boxing events. If I remember correctly, there were 2 announced shows in NYC.

Yeah it was odd that it wasn’t released in the US at the time. Height of his US popularity. KROQ in LA played the live version of Jack the Ripper from it pretty regularly at the time. Unless you bought the album on import (pretty pricey in those days) the track wouldn’t be available commercially in the US until the US only Now My Heart is Full single a year+ later. Of course the single went unnoticed after not properly promoting V&I and cancelling sold out shows in LA and NYC.

Don’t believe said shows are documented at Passions website. LA show was supposed to be at the Grand Olympic auditorium, well known for boxing events. If I remember correctly, there were 2 announced shows in NYC.
1994 (6 out of 6 shows - 100%)
  • 08 Apr 1994 Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles (details: articles.latimes.com )
  • 11 Apr 1994 Carnegie Hall, New York (details: nytimes.com )
  • 12 Apr 1994 Carnegie Hall, New York
  • 19 Sep 1994 Carnegie Hall, New York (rescheduled date)
  • 20 Sep 1994 Carnegie Hall, New York (rescheduled date)
  • 29 Sep 1994 Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles (rescheduled date)

It's not even a good photograph. It looks like a picture taken in the moments between better photos being captured. In fact, he looks annoyed. Very strange choice.

The gigs supposedly taking place to support the release only have 12 weeks to get everything sorted by. Quite short notice.
It would not be the first time that he announces concerts on rather short notice. For example, tickets for the concerts of the short European tour (France + Belgium + London) went on sale mid-January and the concerts took place in mid-March.

Considering his history of cancellations, finding a concert promotor may not be easy. I heard that Live Nation Belgium didn’t want to do it, his concerts were eventually picked up by another promotor. Thankfully, they happened and were nearly sold out and I heard ads on the radio too.

There’s also the issue of putting a band together. We don’t know if his current band is still with him. No doubt about Jesse, but the others ?

Back
Top Bottom