Are Morrissey and Sandie Shaw still friends?

D

DAVIE

I've never heard any mention of Sandie Shaw from Morrissey in years. What happened to their friendship? I know she appeared on Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness and I heard a couple of minor rumours from those sessions...anyone know?

I've never heard any mention of Sandie Shaw from Morrissey in years. What happened to their friendship? I know she appeared on Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness and I heard a couple of minor rumours from those sessions...anyone know?

Dumped.

Probably around about the time Sandie said 'Hey Morrissey, I'm gonna become a fully qualified psychotherapist? Great huh?' :squiffy:

Dumped.

Probably around about the time Sandie said 'Hey Morrissey, I'm gonna become a fully qualified psychotherapist? Great huh?' :squiffy:
I wonder if Moz actually has any friends.
He is one hero I would certainly not like to meet.

I met Sandie in 1992, at a book signing for her autobiography, and also took some Sandie/Smiths items in the hope of getting them signed. I had a Morrissey calendar from that year, and it had the ( well known) photo of Mozzer and sandie, with him holding the Rosary beads....Sandie signed the page, and also drew a little "x" near Morrisseys lips, and she said he was a Diamond bloke.......if that's any help...(P.S, on the night of the book signing, there was rather a LOT of free wine available, and Sandie was in no rush at all to leave...It turned out to be a fantastic evening, and she was extremely courteous and funny company..).

I wonder if Moz actually has any friends.
He is one hero I would certainly not like to meet.

Yes he has friends: Linder Sterling, Nancy Sinatra, the boys in the band to name but a few, I am sure he has many more.

Seven, last time of asking.

And that's a damn shame. Cos I happen to personally know that he's really desperate to meet you ;)
Tell him I'm busy. Tell him to try Dave Bowie instead or failing that, Rick Astley.
Seven friends? That's quite alot actually.

I met Sandie in 1992, at a book signing for her autobiography, and also took some Sandie/Smiths items in the hope of getting them signed. I had a Morrissey calendar from that year, and it had the ( well known) photo of Mozzer and sandie, with him holding the Rosary beads....Sandie signed the page, and also drew a little "x" near Morrisseys lips, and she said he was a Diamond bloke.......if that's any help...(P.S, on the night of the book signing, there was rather a LOT of free wine available, and Sandie was in no rush at all to leave...It turned out to be a fantastic evening, and she was extremely courteous and funny company..).

Thank you for that post. It's made me quite happy to know that they didn't have a falling out and she still regards him as good.

Wow Nancy Sinatra has an amazing voice. Morrissey and Nancy should do a duet! :)

They fell out before the end of the Smiths. She kept telling everybody who'd listen what a weird, sad-sack fanboy he was and then wrote about it in her autobiography for good measure, making out that he was head over heels in love with her. She's a sour, delusional harridan.

They fell out before the end of the Smiths. She kept telling everybody who'd listen what a weird, sad-sack fanboy he was and then wrote about it in her autobiography for good measure, making out that he was head over heels in love with her. She's a sour, delusional harridan.

I think it was after The Smiths split because in the autobiography she recounts a visit to the Viva Hate sessions. But I'm guessing the "falling out" happened not long after the autobiography was published!

I think it was after The Smiths split because in the autobiography she recounts a visit to the Viva Hate sessions. But I'm guessing the "falling out" happened not long after the autobiography was published!

Oh of course, yes. Fondling imaginary boobs at the disco. And "Take Him", a weirdly possessive song about Moz dancing with a girl. Ugh. "Go Johnny Go" was bloody awful as well.

Morrissey failed to attend one of her shows in 89. He was supposed to attend, but she just never heard from him.

Yes he has friends: Linder Sterling, Nancy Sinatra, the boys in the band to name but a few, I am sure he has many more.

you forgot his best friends, Kristeen Young and Julia. Those two, Linder, and Nancy Sinatra would be all the friends anyone would want.

That's quite mean since he basically kick started her career. Maybe she's had different opinions of him for a reason?

That's quite mean since he basically kick started her career. Maybe she's had different opinions of him for a reason?

Oh, she wasn't doing it out of dislike for him; just to make herself look important in a "See how he fawns over me!" kind of way. Have a look at the Morrissey snippet of her autobiog if you get chance, I'm sure it's been posted on here at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Be that as it may, she certainly confirmed my impression of Morrissey when she wrote about the period of The Smiths' demise: "...Morrissey really needed a close friend. Johnny is fairly easy to get along with, but Morrissey can be exasperating. He seemed never to have learnt the art of friendship, and I felt desperately sad for him, imprisoned in his self-imposed solitude. [...A]ll Morrisseys' problems started with himself - his insecurities and the way they made him behave. [...] There is such a warm heart beating under that stylishly affected exterior with which he protects himself from the world."

She certainly writes much better than I would've expected!

A sort of update on this, not sure if it's news-worthy in itself. From an interview with Sandie in today's Metro newspaper (commuter newspaper in the UK):

Metro: Are you still pals with Morrissey?

Sandie Shaw: Is anyone? I don’t know what goes on in the man’s mind nowadays. Although I didn’t when I worked with him.

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/01/sandie-shaw-3708004/

Morrissey stumps fully qualified barefoot psychotherapist. Shocker! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom