50 question Smiths quiz in NME/Sounds 1988

Sheridan Whiteside

Sweet and Tender Hooligan
The simple Simon Goddard quiz on the homepage got me thinking that in the 1988 Christmas edition of either NME or Sounds there was a 50 question quiz on The Smiths.

First prize was some huge print of the Rank front cover, and also a runners up prize (cant recall what though).

I would love to have another shot at this quiz, as my knowledge has increased in the past 22 years. Does anyone recall this at all, or even have a scan of the questions.

I can only recall a couple of the questions, along the lines of this......

- 'On the shopfloor theres a ................, as obvious as snow. You had to complete the missing word. I remember when the printed the answers they said that someone said the missing word was camenbert (as in the cheese)

- Myra Hindleys sister Maureen married David, and together they became.......?

Im sure there was only one person who had all the correct answers, so the lucky female got both winner and runner up prizes.

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
Oooh, i'd love to do that quiz if anyone provides a scan!:thumb:
... the art of 'the google search engine' will no doubt ensure a 100% success rate for anybody who attempts the quiz... Google's killed the art of being a smart arse!!:mad:

Oooh, i'd love to do that quiz if anyone provides a scan!:thumb:
... the art of 'the google search engine' will no doubt ensure a 100% success rate for anybody who attempts the quiz... Google's killed the art of being a smart arse!!:mad:

I think I have this somewhere, but it will take some finding. I'll see what I can do.

I remember this too. It was pretty intense stuff, though as you say Sheridan, if I knew then what I know now, etc. I'd only been 'into' Smiths for less than a year, but I remember the questions being tough and complex.
I remember the prize as being something far more valuable than a Rank print. I thought it was a gold disc, signed, or somesuch. And yeah, only one person got all 50 right. Wonder what ever became of.....

Back
Top Bottom