Morrissey Central "18 YEARS AGO TODAY" (March 27, 2024)

1000015643.jpg

Yes! one of those great ‘hidden’ b-sides.

I'm not running away
I'm running to
Corruption of the spirit isn't in it
For a good looking man about town

Are you afraid of someone alive?
Are you feeling heartbroken
Because you'll never be mistaken for a
Good looking man about town?

You got your degree
Then you flew to Mars
But you still feel wretched 'cause
You'll never be naked with a
Good looking man about town’

And another great Tobias co-write …

So what do you think I am?
And how precisely could you tell
A decent skin is all I am?
People think badly of me
But one day maybe they'll praise
Oh but meanwhile...

I knew I was next
And I didn't mind
Here I offer you my life for any debts you're due
And when you've been down for the very last time
There is nothing anyone can do to hurt you

The shadows of trees, they reach to me
They know a decent skin is all I am
People think badly of me
But when I'm in grave maybe they'll praise
Oh but meanwhile...’

I like YHKM just fine, but I love these two songs immensely.

The Your Arsenal era artwork was the finest, and defining, for me. I consider the album image to be the greatest record sleeve of the nineties.

It's great for sure, but for me the greatest nineties record sleeve was Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.

1000006504.jpg

Last edited:
Since I’m a big ole nerd, I feel I have to join in. My favorite 90’s sleeve:

1711577131085.jpeg

A fine sleeve, yes. Momentary Lapse of Reason was fascinating too. Dark Side of the Moon is a contender for greatest ever sleeve.

I find it funny that Dark Side was created out of a sarcastic comment that Rick Wright gave to Storm Thorgerson. Basically saying that he should think outside the box.

It really annoyed Storm, so he was determined to create something that would stun him (and therefore shut him up)

It worked.

Last edited:
18 years is just sick. I remember it like it was yesterday. It premiered on MySpace, right? I remember playing it over and over and over again on my then-girlfriend’s family’s computer. I then preordered the two CD-singles and fell madly in love with especially I Knew I Was Next. And yeah, that cover with M looking at his watch is maybe his best one ever. Absolutely magnificent.

To this day, YHKM is one of my all time favorite Morrissey A-sides. It was a glorious time to be a young Morrissey fan.
Dude, have you completely lost the plot?
It's meat and potatoes indie filler at best.
Thank heavens he discovered the colourful, inventive Hispanic sounds on the subsequent albums.
Ringleader is just awful. It's no co-incidence that he's virtually never played anything off it in the last 10 years, other than very occasionally Life is a Pigsty (its only genuinely great song).

And eighteen years later he's still laying on the tracks waiting for a deal.
A deal for his tracks! Ah, he's all right, isn't he? He's tripped the light fantastic countless times, and amply produced the goods, with satellites trailing at his heels. Buachaill go hana-mhaith ar fad é!

I can remember hearing this song for the very first time.
I was working as a mental health support worker at the time.
I knocked on one of our residents door, I cant remember what for, and the resident had gone out, but had left his radio on.
I knew Morrissey had a new single out, but as yet hadn’t heard it.
So I stood with my ear glued to the residents door listening to You have killed me.
I was just pleased that nobody had seen me loitering about😄

remember buying a very nice keyring at one of the glasgow shows,the letter M on one side on the other side it was etched,nothing entered me till you came with the key.had that for years.think it was about £10.

Thank heavens he discovered the colourful, inventive Hispanic sounds on the subsequent albums.
Ringleader is just awful. It's no co-incidence that he's virtually never played anything off it in the last 10 years, other than very occasionally Life is a Pigsty (its only genuinely great song).
the reviews disagreed with your opinion with one calling the album morrisseys masterpiece but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As you can see when you look around here, dude, your opinion is not a very popular one. Personally, I feel utter distaste towards those “inventive” albums that you praise (assuming you’re referring to WPINOYB and LIHS). And that’s just the thing about taste.

the reviews disagreed with your opinion with one calling the album morrisseys masterpiece but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
You're right the reviews were super positive.
I thought we were in for an absolute treat.
Beautiful orchestral arrangements, an absolutely legendary producer (T Visconti), a brand new songwriter composing a large chunk of the albums compositions (for the first time in 15 years).
And yet we somehow ended up with an album of indie stodge.
Thankfully things improved with pretty much every subsequent album (except Low in High School).
Dog on a Chain is brilliant - his best since the 90's.

Personally I found those sleeves a little laboured, and contrived. But then I’m not too keen on the Sunday sleeve either—similarly too knowing.

The Your Arsenal era artwork was the finest, and defining, for me. I consider the album image to be the greatest record sleeve of the nineties.

(y)

You're right the reviews were super positive.
I thought we were in for an absolute treat.
Beautiful orchestral arrangements, an absolutely legendary producer (T Visconti), a brand new songwriter composing a large chunk of the albums compositions (for the first time in 15 years).
And yet we somehow ended up with an album of indie stodge.
Thankfully things improved with pretty much every subsequent album (except Low in High School).
Dog on a Chain is brilliant - his best since the 90's.

really ? ‘indie stodge’ ‘indie filler’ ? I can maybe see that being said for Years of Refusal, but not Ringleader, which also has a more interesting and richer production.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom