who should produce morrissey's next album?

Didn't they try that with the early "ringleaders" sessions & decided it didn't work out?? I recall that's when they brought in Visconti (I believe my source on that is the ever-handy Mozipedia). I believe Moz said he'd work with Visconti again, so maybe......

This is correct -- I forgot about this. He said it in an interview. That he was lucky to have two excellent world-renowned producers (Finn and Visconti), and that he'd very much like to work with Visconti again.

By the way, I noticed you're new -- welcome to the forums :)

Mike Chapman.

I've been listening to Parallel Lines.

A lot.

Hear Hear. Chapman writes in the liner notes how he kept pushing each band member to exceed themselves and the result is telling. They were never better, or even nearly as good.

Incidentally, do you too find that the more you listen to that album, the more it becomes about Debbie Harry's extraordinary command of the music? I found myself listening to these amazing pop gems again and again and again until the songs, remarkable though they are, really had nothing more to offer - and then I found myself continuing to play them out of sheer wonderment in how completely she wraps these fantastic melodies around her voice, utterly controlling them in a way that is so subtle you don't really notice it until you stop noticing all the other great things in the songs. When the songs are almost overly sweet ("Pretty Baby", "Sunday Girl") she would break the sweetness with forceful shrieks, and when they are not ("Picture This", "Fade Away and Radiate") she sang with precision and restraint. Such authority.

cheers

I like the idea of Boz. He's proved himself a fine musician, obviously, and he has his own studio. It looks like a nice place to record, anyway. I think he'd do a great job.

Steven Lilywhite definitely. I know Morrissey'd never want to work with him again after Maladjusted, but I think good old Lilywhite is still Morrissey's best bet.

More realistically, I'd recommend Morrissey to try Gustavo Santaolalla again. The man did an excellent job on 'My Dearest Love' and 'Children In Pieces', so why not give him a chance at a full album?

Along with Santaolalla, I'm also rooting for Toni Visconti to make a return :D

Hear Hear. Chapman writes in the liner notes how he kept pushing each band member to exceed themselves and the result is telling. They were never better, or even nearly as good.

Incidentally, do you too find that the more you listen to that album, the more it becomes about Debbie Harry's extraordinary command of the music? I found myself listening to these amazing pop gems again and again and again until the songs, remarkable though they are, really had nothing more to offer - and then I found myself continuing to play them out of sheer wonderment in how completely she wraps these fantastic melodies around her voice, utterly controlling them in a way that is so subtle you don't really notice it until you stop noticing all the other great things in the songs. When the songs are almost overly sweet ("Pretty Baby", "Sunday Girl") she would break the sweetness with forceful shrieks, and when they are not ("Picture This", "Fade Away and Radiate") she sang with precision and restraint. Such authority.

cheers

Couldn't agree more. All the really great Blondie songs have a distinctive vocal melody at their core. The vocal on 'Picture This' increases in volume and urgency without ever threatening to become hysterical. It blows me away every time. When I first heard 'Something is Squeezing My Skull', I instantly thought of Blondie.

Daniel Lanois would bring something different, if only Jerry Finn had lived we would be rocking hard again, he set the bar high, lets hope for something like the same edge Finn brought to the mix, how can you replace the irreplaceable?

Or just enter a new era, which is what we are looking at, bring on the next wave..bring it on , sir, and we will lap it up like kittens to warm milk...:guitar:

John Cale .
Not a bad CV:

Stooges Stooges

Happy Mondays Squirrel And G-man Twenty Four Hour Party People

Nico The End

Siouxsie & The Banshees The Rapture

Patti Smith Group Horses

ros_piccksus_110.jpg

Jukebox Jury

Hmm..Does anyone think it'd be any good if he would produce it, himself? :D

I do. He knows exactly what he wants - he should try it! But, if he didn't want to produce his own album, I still think Boz is a great choice! :)

What about Alain? A better pick than Boz, since he's a better songwriter.

Brian Eno would be very interesting, especially after listening to "Everything Happens Will Happen Today" he did with David Bryne.

Great album.Eno would be fab.

wouldn't it be great if the choice of producer made a big difference?
to escape the world of mediocre, so-so, patchy indie pop, all Moz needs is a new bloke to twiddle the knobs!
sadly, this simply isn't the case - it really is all about the songs.
remember the 2002 tour? it was perfectly clear back then that First of the Gang and Irish Blood were (musically at least) by far the best of the new bunch. this was before Moz even had a record deal let alone had started recording.
really, we're all deluding ourselves if we think the choice of producer makes more than the tiniest difference. remember, Maladjusted and Vauxhall were produced by the same person.

postsscript - I too would love Stephen Street to return to the fold, but that's much more for his songwriting skills rather than the production.

Back
Top Bottom