Which songs make you think of which cities?

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
Many of Morrissey's lyrics evoke a strong sense of time and place, I'm sure we'll all agree. So I was wondering which songs make you think of which cities?

For me, early Smiths tracks like You've Got Everything Now and Suffer Little Children are the most strongly evocative of Morrissey's childhood in 60s and 70s Manchester, and later solo work like Spring-Heeled Jim (due in part to the Spring-Heeled Jack reference in the title) and Jack The Ripper make me think of 18th and 19th century London.

So I was wondering which are the strongest for you?

When I was in Chicago to see him in 2007 the only CD we had in the rental car was Your Arsenal, so most of the songs on there make me think of Chicago.

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but there it is. :)

Whenever I hear Pregnant For The Last time I always think of Berlin. The landmarks in the video stand out in my mind and remind me that I need to visit that city.

Nowhere Fast is the town in which my parents grew up, right down to the train sounds.

That song makes me think of my husband's house he grew up in... It was by the train tracks, much like Morrissey's old house.

I like your avatar. Where'd you get it? I looks like you.

I agree with 'Springheeled Jim'/'Jack The Ripper' and Victorian London. Apart from those, there are none at this present moment in time which remind me of somewhere I haven't had personal experiences with (possibly my lack of life experience talking here), but one song does stand out to me as a strong reminder of somewhere in my life. 'Late Night, Maudlin Street' reminds me so much of the closest thing I have to 'the town I grew up in' (it's a few miles down the road :D) and went to school in for many of my formative years. "I was born here, and I was raised here, and I took some stick here" indeed. :o

Nowhere Fast is the town in which my parents grew up, right down to the train sounds.

That song reminds me my home town, a very small and rural town in the middle of nowhere in méxico. My parents lived near to the railways, and I used to play with some other kids in the rails, climbing to the trains, putting coins or stones in the rails (trains reminds me my childhood), and obviously everything of the outside world seemed to be a new science in my town... the catholicism dictated every single rule, and there were so many people without any kind of ambition.. just horrible.

In a much happier way, the whole Quarry album is totally Los Angeles!!, When I visited L.A. in the past years, I had many dejà vu's of Morrissey driving, walking, living and breathing in L.A., and the sound of the quarry album seemed to be the testimony of his days in L.A., even in the songs with another countries references on his titles. I felt the Moz Angeles atmosphere in the sound of his voice.. very tranquile, very mature, so warm.. warm as the angelinos indeed.

When I was in Chicago to see him in 2007 the only CD we had in the rental car was Your Arsenal, so most of the songs on there make me think of Chicago.

Me too, esp Gonna Knead (coincidentally the song of my foiled stage attempt here too). It's cuz of the Tommy Gun feel of it :gun:

Last edited:
Everyday is Like Sunday reminds me of where I go camping every year in Michigan. As I leave the beach and head thru the sand & dunes back to the cabins “trudging slowly over wet sand” goes thru my head ...and comes singing out of my mouth. :p The song sticks in my head the whole weekend.

Come Back to Camden ironically brings me back to, Camden! Its a clear reminder of the very enlightening and emotional trip to London and Camden specifically for the Roundhouse gigs last January.

The whole Meat is Murder album reminds me of Scranton PA bc it was during my senior year at the University of Scranton that I discovered this album and grew to love it as well as grew up a lot myself. So many experiences were wrapped up in that time and even just the simple things come to mind while listening to that album. Like the one snowy day I was driving to work and class, smoking a cigarette, listening to this album, then when I went to park my car, my cd book fell out of my car and landed in a big pile of gross snow. I didn't have enough time to fully clean it off without being ridiculously late for work so I left it in the floor of my car. A few cds were ruined. And I think of Barbarism Begins at Home.

I think he is always at his best when he is evoking a place. Maybe that's why Years of Refusal doesn't totally work for me, it's a record that doesn't really have a place, unlike the previous two albums.

Come Back to Camden ironically brings me back to, Camden! Its a clear reminder of the very enlightening and emotional trip to London and Camden specifically for the Roundhouse gigs last January.

The whole Meat is Murder album reminds me of Scranton PA bc it was during my senior year at the University of Scranton that I discovered this album and grew to love it as well as grew up a lot myself. So many experiences were wrapped up in that time and even just the simple things come to mind while listening to that album. Like the one snowy day I was driving to work and class, smoking a cigarette, listening to this album, then when I went to park my car, my cd book fell out of my car and landed in a big pile of gross snow. I didn't have enough time to fully clean it off without being ridiculously late for work so I left it in the floor of my car. A few cds were ruined. And I think of Barbarism Begins at Home.

I think of Camden too, but the little-known ski resort on the east coast of the US (apparently the true inspiration behind the song).

Everyday Is Like Sunday always summons up Southport to me.

Awww, I like Southport. I'd like it more if you could get anywhere close to the sea & have a paddle but it certainly beats Blackpoo.

There aren't many songs that don't remind me of trains in one way or another but I was once at Chesterfield railway station when two trains passed each other at speed. I had Alsatian Cousin on at the time so that song always reminds me of there.

Ironically, '...Paris' always reminds me of San Marino. I think because I heard it on Italian radio while en route to San Marino, and it struck me as amazingly unexpected.

Oh, and 'Hairdresser...' is something I always have to listen to on my way into London when I reach a certain point of the journey.

Everyday Is Like Sunday always summons up Southport to me.

Blackpool to me as it's usually quiet and deserted when I go however the video could easily be Southport, there's a posh element to the place (like the women in the fur)

Last edited:
Minor track, but I always associate "Pashernate Love" with Mountain View, California, where I heard it performed live in 1991. It was Halloween; IIRC Boz wore a dress. I left wondering if if the song was "Passionate Love" or "Passion Ate Love".

Back
Top Bottom