"What's In My Bag?" / Amoeba YouTube - Jack Smith of Beach Fossils chooses "Hatful Of Hollow" (September 5, 2023)

Wouldn’t it be great if someone could choose Vauxhall and I or Southpaw (reissued with Nobody Loves Us) as a choice for their record shop bag?! Alas we yearn….

I love Beach Fossils, seen them live 3 times. Can definitely hear some Smiths influence in their music.

But I can't get over how he pronounces Rourke. Andy "Royke"

Did he say that his first concert was the Killers??!?!??

bit of a coincidence,second thing out the bag is the garbage album.

on a sidenote i see andrew watt has just produced the stones first album in 18 years,this guy must be decent when you look at who he has worked with.

Wouldn’t it be great if someone could choose Vauxhall and I or Southpaw (reissued with Nobody Loves Us) as a choice for their record shop bag?! Alas we yearn….
Nah it's too controversial to like a Morrissey album. Safer bet to not upset anyone is to go with a Smiths album. Phew that was close!

Nah it's too controversial to like a Morrissey album. Safer bet to not upset anyone is to go with a Smiths album. Phew that was close!

Not to mention Hatful of Hollow is much better than any Morrissey album.

Not to mention Hatful of Hollow is much better than any Morrissey album.
Oh of course, without a doubt, I mean absolutely. You're absolutely right on that one. I wasn't suggesting for a minute that otherwise. I never listen to Morrissey's solo albums ever. I only listen to hatful of hollow and I have it on all formats, etc...

I can't hear any of their influences in their music. They sound like derivative Yankee Doodle slacker low fi wank. They clearly make records for how Brooklyn looks today - I suspect their albums are on heavy rotation at Hungry Ghost Coffee. Awful.

marr its controversial to like M in britain,anywhere else is absolutely fine,just shows the state of britain today,its broke and broken and will take generations to pay back its debt.

Maybe Amoeba are out of stock of those titles on vinyl? ;)

I can't hear any of their influences in their music. They sound like derivative Yankee Doodle slacker low fi wank. They clearly make records for how Brooklyn looks today - I suspect their albums are on heavy rotation at Hungry Ghost Coffee. Awful.
Agreed. Not only in reference to this band but I've never heard a "Smiths" influence in any band whatsoever. The Smiths were and still are an anomaly with a pedigree that cannot be copied or simulated to any convincing degree.

People seem to think that if a guitarist gets all jangly and fingerpicking that they're sounding like the Smiths? Meanwhile they forget that half or more of the uniqueness of their sound comes from Morrissey's voice, melody, lyrics and just general delivery. That ain't an easy recipe to cook up at home.

Last edited:
Agreed. Not only in reference to this band but I've never heard a "Smiths" influence in any band whatsoever. The Smiths were and still are an anomaly with a pedigree that cannot be copied or simulated to any convincing degree.

People seem to think that if a guitarist gets all jangly and fingerpicking that they're sounding like the Smiths?

Meanwhile they forget that half or more of the uniqueness of their sound comes from Morrissey' voice, melody, lyrics and just general delivery. That ain't an easy recipe to cook up at home.

(y)

Yep. So few like to accept and admit this truth.

Back
Top Bottom