"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" reaches 500 million plays milestone on Spotify (December 22, 2023)

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is the first Smiths song to reach the 500 million plays milestone on Spotify, yesterday, making it one of the biggest streaming 80s songs on the platform. Making the mistake to never release it as a single at the time all the more painful.

Top 5 Smiths songs now are:

1. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out 501 million
2. This Charming Man 424 million
3. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now 281 million
4. How Soon Is Now? 242 million
5. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want 212 million

It's still mind-blowing, almost 40 years later, that two of those five songs were the B-sides to "William...". Crazy times!

Having listened to The Smiths and Mozzer for a long time, I'm often surprised at the popularity of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

This will be on central by tomorrow.
Predictions for the headline?

I bet most of those 500 million views are from moths, they can’t get enough of that song.

worse thing the smiths ever did - releasing that song as a single - defining morrissey forever to the ignorant public
Agree, they have soooo many better songs and it turned into a lazy phrase for headline writers, but to see HKIMN in the same UK top 10 as songs by Wham, Ultravox, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Frankie, and Howard Jones was kind of hilarious.

Agree, they have soooo many better songs and it turned into a lazy phrase for headline writers, but to see HKIMN in the same UK top 10 as songs by Wham, Ultravox, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Frankie, and Howard Jones was kind of hilarious.
I remember Dave Lee Travis being a prick introducing it on Top of The Pops, pretending to cry etc.

About f***ing time.
The Chameleons added a bit of this into Soul in Isolation live at the weekend and I witnessed and partook in the epic There is a Light singalong when Marr played it to close his set in Manchester on 7 December. You can see/hear how much this song still means to people through those instances.

And while we are on the subject of double decker buses... anyone of a certain age will remember this

Any idea what this converts to in terms of royalty £££s for Morrissey and Marr?
someone posted amounts on here a few years ago and im sure M solo songs made him £340,000 that year,sure someone has the deatals,that is a lot of dough for doing nothing.

l

And while we are on the subject of double decker buses... anyone of a certain age will remember this

loved it,they certainly dont make kids programes like they used to,the people who made the banana splits were certainly on drugs,that show was mental.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is the first Smiths song to reach the 500 million plays milestone on Spotify, yesterday, making it one of the biggest streaming 80s songs on the platform. Making the mistake to never release it as a single at the time all the more painful.

Top 5 Smiths songs now are:

1. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out 501 million
2. This Charming Man 424 million
3. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now 281 million
4. How Soon Is Now? 242 million
5. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want 212 million
🌴Naturally ! 🌴Congrats Morrissey !👍Molly, Jackson, Zack, Maggy, David, Daisy, Rocco🌴S.D. Park Blvd. Morrissey Crew🌴

l

loved it,they certainly dont make kids programes like they used to,the people who made the banana splits were certainly on drugs,that show was mental.
You remember Fingerbobs Gordy?
That hippy presenter guy was on something, Pipkins was f**king mental too, a few tatty old puppets and a script written by some acid heads, that'll keep the kids happy lol

Back
Top Bottom