The influence of Howard Devoto

archie

In view of the news that Howard Devoto and Magazine are to reform for 2 dates in Feb 2009 (London Fri 13 & Manchester Sat 14), it's interesting to perhaps take another look at the influence of Mr Devoto and his lyrics on Morrissey.

In view of the news that Howard Devoto and Magazine are to reform for 2 dates in Feb 2009 (London Fri 13 & Manchester Sat 14), it's interesting to perhaps take another look at the influence of Mr Devoto and his lyrics on Morrissey.

Hmmm, you should give us some details in order to start a discussion, such as examples you find the similarities etc.
Most of us like Morrissey's cover version of Magazine's A Song from Under the Floorboards.

For the interest of people who haven't seen the thread that Morrissey was reading Proust at Luxuria gig in March 1988:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=86273

Last edited:
does anybody know how to get tickets for either of these dates?

The two were friends for some time, but I don't think Devoto had much of an influence on Morrissey.

Stephane

SHIT! I'll be in the Middle East when they play Manchester.

Why does this always happen to me?

Howard Devoto was the partner of Linder when they shared a flat in Whalley Range. I'm sure Howard, Linder & Morrissey spent many hours together during the late 70's.

Jukebox Jury

hmm since we are just speaking of howard devoto :
I have seen a Magazine tv performance a few days ago
..the channel arte(french/german channel) shows a rerun of top of the pops from the
70 ties:bowie, roxy music, t rex buzzcocks..alot of the stuff moz was absorbing back in the days...
also the specials, madness....but god, beneath that jewels ,they had a lot of shitty hairy bands ive never heard of in the 70ties...in the charts

vini reily + ed bangers band knew buzzcocks when deveto was in surely. also moz went on to read "proust" at a deveto gig im sure.
when do tickets go on sale for those gigs? i need to be there.

The middle east of where? :D

Jukebox Jury[/QUOTE

Dubai. Believe it or not, for a week at your kind or prices (from what you said earlier). A friend invested in a penthouse a few years ago, on the beach front at Jumiera (however you spell it?). I don't have many loaded friends, so I cherrish the few I do have!! Well, you have to don't you?

I might travel out to Oman. Not being able to get a drink will be all the easier in the knowledge that my wife has to be totally subservient to me, by law. At least, thats what I'm telling her!;)

vini reily + ed bangers band knew buzzcocks when deveto was in surely. also moz went on to read "proust" at a deveto gig im sure.
when do tickets go on sale for those gigs? i need to be there.

Yes. Wasn't it the Town & Country in London? Devoto was friendly with Morrissey. I recall the Adultory playing on the same bill as The Smiths (Gmex 86) and Devoto thanking them for asking them to play, and letting them use their instruments. Occasionally when I blow off a bit of dust, some memory returns!

I read an interview with Devoto where he said he never actually met Morrissey until he became well known with The Smiths, even though Linder kept telling him they should meet.

I also read that Morrissey said that Devoto was a big influence on him becoming a singer because it was obvious to him that Devoto was really shy so it showed him that it was possible for a shy person to do it.

Back
Top Bottom