That's How People Grow Up - A chart update

Re: That's How People Grow Up enters the UK Chart at #14

In my opinion, "Rockstar" is probably the best song in the Top 10.

Draw your own conclusions!

Well in my opinion, Rockstar might well be the worst song in the history of recorded music.
Yep, even worse than 'Dancing in the Moonlight'!

I wish there was a Chart published, or some way of finding out, that only includes physical single sales - i'd be interested to see where THPGU would have charted in the "good old days".

I think it's fair to say though that the golden era of the comeback is starting to tail off a little, although let's not forget this gives Mozzer his 10th consecutive top 20 hit, starting with IBEH, and i can still remember the bad old days of the mid '90's, when he had 3 singles that didn't even reach the top 40!

Back then, a number 14 would have been a Godsend. All in all, i think it's pretty good.

That is FANTASTIC news. :) Although would have been better had to got to number one...

Solo641

i can still remember the bad old days of the mid '90's, when he had 3 singles that didn't even reach the top 40!

Back then, a number 14 would have been a Godsend. All in all, i think it's pretty good.

Exactly! Kids these days, eh? They don't know they're born! :D

Exactly! Kids these days, eh? They don't know they're born! :D

I don't put a lot of stock in the UK Charts (especially since downloads began to count), but i still like my favourite artists to do well - it gives me a little hope that the system still works.

By that yardstick, i class the top 20 as an achievement - as long as they reach the 20, i'm happy.

Interestingly, Morrissey's last 4 singles have now all charted within 3 places of each other: 14, 17, 16, 14.

Ojspicer, this is the worst comment I have ever seen on this website.:mad:
Were you not 'a kiddie' once? The kiddies that buy music today are no different than the kiddies who bought music ten, twenty, thirty and forty years ago.

My teenage daughters buy music that they like, either downloading it or buying it from HMV or wherever. Doesn't make them c***s, just makes then teenage girls buying the kind of music they like. You are a twat. The singles charts have always been influenced by 'kiddies' buying their favourite single, yet the album charts was for the 'adults'.
Grow up.

Jukebox Jury

Indeed.Qiute right.

not nice to call children the "c" word either.Very offensive.:mad:

as i have posted elsewhere , i work for hmv and it was our best selling single last week instore , doing better than rhianna and basshunter etc etc etc ! so in the good ole' days it would have been at least top 10 if not higher

nickleback???

thought they were killed in the "too bad" times...

When it was realeased, I think "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" got to no.47 in the charts. Doesn't that make the argument for chart popularity invalid in itself? :rolleyes:

That's How People Throw Up! :sick:

What a shame. I knew in my heart it wasn't going to happen. But a fairly healthy entry all the same, and the HIGHEST new entry isn't it!?

If this song (which, in my opinion is faily average from Moz) can reach No.14, who knows where his other better singles will reach when he releases them! Fingers remain constantly crossed, and faith tirelessly alive :)

Last edited:

That's How People Throw Up! :sick:

What a shame. I knew in my heart it wasn't going to happen. But a fairly healthy entry all the same, and the HIGHEST new entry isn't it!?

If this song (which, in my opinion is faily average from Moz) can reach No.14, who knows where his other better singles will reach when he releases them! Fingers remain constantly crossed, and faith tirelessly alive :)

Why rely on faith? WE, the fans, have the power to make or break a Morrissey single.

I suggest for his next release WE work with the record company to do the following:

1. Minimum six TV appearances in the two weeks before the release.

2. Do an NME interview. No need to worry about who interviews him or what the scope of the interview is. Just put him in the same room as an NME writer and let the quips fall where they may.

3. Release a 7" version of the song.

4. Release a colored 7" version of the song.

5. Release a CD ("1") of the song with one new B-side.

6. Release a CD ("2") of the song with another (different) new B-side.

7. Release a CD ("3") of the song with a stamped number on the cover and a limited edition print of a photograph of one of Morrissey's intimate body parts.

8. Release a "Special 180 Gram Vinyl" twelve-inch of the song with both new B-sides.

9. Release a "Special 180 Gram Vinyl" picture-disc twelve-inch of the song with yet another (third) original B-side with the aforementioned photo used as the image on the disc.

10. Release a special set of twenty 3" CD singles, each copy featuring a unique picture sleeve of a fragment of a photo. Added together, puzzle-style, the 20 discs will form an image of a "naughty" Jake Walters photo (leak info of said photo to press a week beforehand, perhaps a fuzzy JPEG, etc).

11. Place five "Mozzer Golden Tickets" in these various releases entitling fans to come back stage at a future Morrissey gig. Tickets only valid accompanied by a receipt showing purchase within 7 days of the single's release.

12. Offer free "Moz Money" with each downloaded song, equaling sixpence per download, redeemable at a Morrissey online store selling key chains and coffee mugs.

13. Finally-- does it have to be said?-- WE must buy at least four copies each of items # 3-10.​

Straight in at #1 for sure, no matter who the competition is! And what an achievement that would be, showing Morrissey's popularity among the public is greater than ever!

13. Finally-- does it have to be said?-- WE must buy at least four copies each of items # 3-10.[/INDENT]

Straight in at #1 for sure, no matter who the competition is! And what an achievement that would be, showing Morrissey's popularity among the public is greater than ever!

i'll buy 5.

and you call yourself a fan?

i could care less about his chart position. does that make me a bad fan?

i'll buy 5.

and you call yourself a fan?

Look, can't we just do this the Chicago Way? Who do I wire the bribe to? It's wrong that things have come to this, but Moz is not lowest common denominator and lowest common denominator is what sells.

Wet Wet Wet? For god's sake. What is wrong with Britain? Have they learned nothing in the past 20 years?

Back
Top Bottom