That old chestnut....again

Lost

He isn't exactly promoting an album on this current tour now, so should Moz have dropped even more of the ROTT set and the B sides that the majority don't know?
For a fan like me it really doesn't matter what he sings at a concert because i know all the songs and love the vast majority of them.
But who makes up an audience at a moz gig?
I suspect, from the reactions i see at his concerts, a very big proportion are people who just enjoy his well known songs, (both solo and smiths), and those are the songs they come along hoping to hear him sing.
Also, i think there is more chance of a person going out the next day and buying an artist's latest album if they've witnessed a great concert full of well-known songs that got the crowd going rather than a lot of ‘obscure’ album tracks which left things rather flat.

Or should moz just please himself?

People pay up front, fortunately, so as long as the money's in his accounts I think he should play whatever he wants, including 90 minutes of all-banjo Cilla Black covers. To hell with the people who want the "hits". Fond memories of pop stars are born to die and die ugly. If people want nostalgia they'd be far better staying at home watching "Pretty In Pink" for the 77th time, and they'd save money on the babysitter to boot.

Having said that, you may have touched on something worthwhile. I think lots of people here would very gladly go to a show and watch Moz please himself.

Blimey!!! and here was me thinking i was a serious fan....i've never heard his Cilla covers???...where can i get hold of em?

:D

He isn't exactly promoting an album on this current tour now, so should Moz have dropped even more of the ROTT set and the B sides that the majority don't know?
For a fan like me it really doesn't matter what he sings at a concert because i know all the songs and love the vast majority of them.
But who makes up an audience at a moz gig?
I suspect, from the reactions i see at his concerts, a very big proportion are people who just enjoy his well known songs, (both solo and smiths), and those are the songs they come along hoping to hear him sing.
Also, i think there is more chance of a person going out the next day and buying an artist's latest album if they've witnessed a great concert full of well-known songs that got the crowd going rather than a lot of ‘obscure’ album tracks which left things rather flat.

Or should moz just please himself?

McCartney just plays the hits when he plays live. I didn't notice his last album setting the world alight.

Playing mainly old songs just sends out the message that you have no faith in your work. So what if that's all some people want, I agree with Morrissey when he said we should ignore the people that aren't listening.

Blimey!!! and here was me thinking i was a serious fan....i've never heard his Cilla covers???...where can i get hold of em?

Only in some ideal record store that will never exist.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere."

McCartney just plays the hits when he plays live. I didn't notice his last album setting the world alight.

Playing mainly old songs just sends out the message that you have no faith in your work. So what if that's all some people want, I agree with Morrissey when he said we should ignore the people that aren't listening.

Well, to be fair to Sir Paul, Danny, I don't have faith in his work either.

Only in some ideal record store that will never exist.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere."

Anyone Who Had a Heart would upload em for us. It'd give us a lorra lorra pleasure.

It's a fair point. But do people ever really 'get into' new album tracks at a concert? Surely we do that at home by playing them repeatedly? Then enjoy them the next time they are played live.

I can see both sides to this one.

If you look at the setlist from tonight's gig - linky - there's only one ROTT B-side, so I don't think he's expecting too much from the audience. I also don't think any sane fan would be less than ecstatic with that outstanding setlist.

I actually think Morrissey's been striking the fine balance between old and new in a live setting for a while now. His decision to play nothing but solo stuff for the first four years, while obstinate and perhaps slightly disappointing for some fans, was very much the right thing to do. If you ask me, he should've just taken a leaf out of Reed's book: Ask who wants to hear "The Queen Is Dead", tell those who cheer to f*** off and leave because they're filthy f***ing necrophiliacs and he'll never pander to their nostalgic perversions, then, when the twats leave, play the glorious track at full pelt... but I think Morrissey's too polite for that.

At Wembley I noticed a better reaction to his solo stuff from a LOT of people, especially the tunes from You Are The Quarry, but definately the Tormentors stufff as well.

As someone who first saw him play in 1995 I'd love to hear a solid set of just solo material nowadays, especially Vauxhall & I era stuff. A couple of smiths tracks in the old days was always a treat. Having said that though, if he'd played a set of smiths songs in 1995 I'd have been more than happy!

Guess the truth is I prefer the solo stuff now, maybe it's a sign of getting older?

For the first time ever I don't think Dazzak is talking complete shit. I'm amazed.

Could he possibly do a David Bowie in the future ie first half of the set is the new album and the second half is a greatest hits selection?

I really, really enjoyed the set. I do understand your point, but Morrissey really looked like he was enjoying himself at Wembley, and that mattered to me a lot too.

Wembley was quality. As someone who knocked his set earlier in the year I thought the Wembley set was superb. Couldn't have been any better and we got an hour and a half as well!

i like a few classic ones like the older moz and smiths and stuff and then some new ones. i loved the birmingham set from this tour its been my favourite. i quite like having some b sides and stuff because i tend to know the words and quite a few dont. ahah cheap trhills. x

I went to Wembley and didn't have a problem with what he played. I'm not going to lie, Morrissey's best works were in his early days with The Smiths, but I love his solo work to, there aren't many Morrissey songs I dislike and even then I wouldn't use the word "dislike" to describe them either.

Morrissey's been able to strike a fine balance between all his works, he mixes it up, which is always delightful and his voices his opinions of people which is always a pleasure and a delight to hear. Morrissey's works are very diverse and I thought he mixed up well at Wembley.

I'm not a fan of The Smiths covers but that said Morrissey (the band) do no disservice to Panic, Girlfriend in a Coma, How Soon is Now.

At the end of the day, I love Morrissey's works, so he can play what he likes, I don't care, I just want to feel the atmosphere and sing along to the songs.

to be honest i think i'd be happy if he sang girls aloud songs for 3 hours. morrissey can make anything seem wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom