Tablet Mag: "This Charming Man: Morrissey loves Israel—and Israel loves him back" (July 14, 2023)

7ba2ab60f50621b2abfc67b83df488671a21b7f1-1500x2128.jpg

This Charming Man
Morrissey loves Israel—and Israel loves him back.

By Dana Kesslerk - July, 14, 2023.

Excerpt:

"In the United States, the greatest Morrissey fans are the Chicanos. Extensive research has been done on the subject. Beautiful essays have been written about how Morrissey’s outsider stance appeals to Mexican immigrants and how the themes of estrangement and longing in his melancholic ballads remind them of their own music genres such as rancheras. But do you know who loves the former frontman of the Smiths just as much as Mexican Americans? Israelis do. The reasons why Israelis love Morrissey, however, are much more prosaic. Israelis, as anyone knows, are no frayerim—suckers. They love Morrissey because he loves them.

Jokes aside—most of his Israeli fans are loyal to him and appreciate his support for their country, as do the Israeli media and local politicians. Even the press release sent to me and all other music journalists ahead of his two recent Israeli shows, which took place on July 2 at the Zappa Shuni amphitheater in Binyamina and on July 4 at Expo Tel Aviv, happily stated: “After 7 years, one of Israel’s best loved musicians is back in our arms!.” Yes, Morrissey is back in our arms."

A longer, broader discussion around the recent dates in the Israel - taking it outsides the realms of a tour report / review.
Regards,
FWD.

Dana Kesslerk doesn't mention it, but there's also the fact that "Israel has become the leading vegan country in the world, with 5.2% of the population eschewing all animal goods in their daily diet." Not a bad article, even if that headline for a favorable piece is as tiresome as Bigmouth Strikes Again is for anything scolding or negative.

If Morrissey ever deigns to be interviewed by someone who is neither a sycophant nor a relative, he should sit with someone from the Israeli press. They'd probably give him a fairer hearing than a British or American outlet. Too bad he didn't do that when he was staying at the same hotel where his autographed lobby tile was next to Keith Richards' and Marianne Faithfull's.

Supporters of Israel are subjugators of Palestine and the Palestinian people and that is irrefutable. I can't understand why Morrissey isn't challenged more about his blatant hypocrisy. Lauds his Chicano and Latino fanbase despite consumption of meat featuring heavily in their lifestyle. Claims to speak for the weak yet picks up the big Israeli bucks without hesitation.
His ardent, fervent supporters always find a reason to justify his actions whilst the rest of us grow up and grow out of him.

Supporters of Israel are subjugators of Palestine and the Palestinian people and that is irrefutable. I can't understand why Morrissey isn't challenged more about his blatant hypocrisy. Lauds his Chicano and Latino fanbase despite consumption of meat featuring heavily in their lifestyle. Claims to speak for the weak yet picks up the big Israeli bucks without hesitation.
His ardent, fervent supporters always find a reason to justify his actions whilst the rest of us grow up and grow out of him.
What you on about? For hundreds of years the stale diet in most Central and South American cultures was beans and corn bread. It still is for many. Around the world it is as cultures become more Western that they are starting to consume more meat and processed 'food' that isn't really food but just added sugar that the big food corporations push like drug pushers.
The UK still claims a sizeable chunk of the island of Ireland. Should Moz refuse to play any UK dates until Britain leaves? If Moz only played in countries that are 'pure' and 'virtuous' there wouldn't be any countries left.

Last edited:
Maybe wouldn’t put this on Central until after the Dublin gigs, Sam.

certainly seems like a loyal fanbase.
best thing to come out of israel is an assault rifle which shoots round corners,fantastic.

Not all Israeli people support what is going on. It's like during the troubles in Ireland, not all of us Irish supported either side. I guarantee if Pink Floyd or U2 were to play Israel tomorrow they would all start playing, following like Sheep. Morrissey is playing for his fans no matter where they are rather than punishing them for the actions of their government . Fair play to Morrissey . In Moz I trust.

What you on about? For hundreds of years the stale diet in most Central and South American cultures was beans and corn bread. It still is for many. Around the world it is as cultures become more Western that they are starting to consume more meat and processed 'food' that isn't really food but just added sugar that the big food corporations push like drug pushers.
The UK still claims a sizeable chunk of the island of Ireland. Should Moz refuse to play any UK dates until Britain leaves? If Moz only played in countries that are 'pure' and 'virtuous' there wouldn't be any countries left.
Don't lecture me on the history of food in Latin America. Today's Latinas and Hispanics wolf down meat by the lorry load. I, like many others, note that Morrissey is rather quiet on the subject ($$). The Ireland situation is ABSOLUTELY INCOMPARABLE to the plight of the Palestinians. Jewish people are not to blame and ordinary Israelis are not to blame but Israel is an apartheid state and that's why the majority of artists refuse to play there. By your rationale, you would have been happy for Morrissey to play in South America before the fall of apartheid. Ok, got it.

Don't lecture me on the history of food in Latin America. Today's Latinas and Hispanics wolf down meat by the lorry load. I, like many others, note that Morrissey is rather quiet on the subject ($$). The Ireland situation is ABSOLUTELY INCOMPARABLE to the plight of the Palestinians. Jewish people are not to blame and ordinary Israelis are not to blame but Israel is an apartheid state and that's why the majority of artists refuse to play there. By your rationale, you would have been happy for Morrissey to play in South America before the fall of apartheid. Ok, got it.
# Correction - South Africa

When people say stuff like "you can't blame the Jewish people of Israel for what the government does "
Its not fecking true , as 80 % of the people , if not more, support the way the government treat the Arabs .
Its an extremist country. I've been there for work a few times. The country is fire for sure and there are some nice fecking people , but most agree with the situation .
I'm happy Moz is getting some love . The Latino thing is very over done in LA. Sure some like him but more like The Cure and Depeche mode and Oasis but you don't see them baginging on about it.
Its a shame Moz doesn't get as much support in the UK by the media as he does in the Israel. I think that will change .
The more he bangs out gigs like Leeds and gets on with it, the better .
I can't wait to see what the band are like in Ireland .

When people say stuff like "you can't blame the Jewish people of Israel for what the government does "
Its not fecking true , as 80 % of the people , if not more, support the way the government treat the Arabs .
Its an extremist country. I've been there for work a few times. The country is fire for sure and there are some nice fecking people , but most agree with the situation .
I'm happy Moz is getting some love . The Latino thing is very over done in LA. Sure some like him but more like The Cure and Depeche mode and Oasis but you don't see them baginging on about it.
Its a shame Moz doesn't get as much support in the UK by the media as he does in the Israel. I think that will change .
The more he bangs out gigs like Leeds and gets on with it, the better .
I can't wait to see what the band are like in Ireland .
Please stop saying feck/fecking.

Please stop saying feck/fecking.
I know, he sounds so silly.
It's interesting that Julie Burchill and Mozzy should be pro Israel and loved by the people of Israel. They have always picked up outsiders and Israel is a outsider nation in terns of the amount of hate aimed at them The USA also hates on Mexico.
Alot of this “Israel loves Mozzy and Mexico loves mozzy” stuff is pure fiction
He has a fan base there but he has one in Japan, chilli, Brazil, cuba, France and on and on. He is a successful artist that has been going for 40 years
More power to mozzy

I know, he sounds so silly.
It's interesting that Julie Burchill and Mozzy should be pro Israel and loved by the people of Israel. They have always picked up outsiders and Israel is a outsider nation in terns of the amount of hate aimed at them The USA also hates on Mexico.
Alot of this “Israel loves Mozzy and Mexico loves mozzy” stuff is pure fiction
He has a fan base there but he has one in Japan, chilli, Brazil, cuba, France and on and on. He is a successful artist that has been going for 40 years
More power to mozzy
Pleas stop saying Mozzy.

certainly seems like a loyal fanbase.
best thing to come out of israel is an assault rifle which shoots round corners,fantastic.
Hope you're joking. Israel leads the world in arm tech sales which are promoted as 'tested in the field'.

i
Hope you're joking. Israel leads the world in arm tech sales which are promoted as 'tested in the field'.
i was admiring the technology to produce a gun that shoots round corners,just think about that for one minute.

It's amazing how some grown adults will forgive their heroes anything. Morrissey could blow up a kindergarten and they'd be saying, "Well what do you expect with the way the record industry and the media have treated him??"
Fanaticism and zealotry are rarely attractive traits.
Never mind the Islamists, these ass-lickers are Mozlims.
Creepy AF.

It's amazing how some grown adults will forgive their heroes anything. Morrissey could blow up a kindergarten and they'd be saying, "Well what do you expect with the way the record industry and the media have treated him??"
Fanaticism and zealotry are rarely attractive traits.
Never mind the Islamists, these ass-lickers are Mozlims.
Creepy AF.
Nobody would say this. What a ludicrous comment.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom