Swords - Midweek chart news

Your objection seems to be the fact that he's releasing it now, in a "download music era". But if this had come out in 1988 or 1995 it would be okay?

If that's your thought process, why not see "Swords" as a defiant gesture toward the current music scene? He's always been anachronistic and out of place, and to me "Swords" seems like a deliberate throwback album in the sense that he continues to believe in the quality of B-sides in an age in which the very term "B-sides" is meaningless.

You have to remember, we don't know what kind of expectations surround this album. Morrissey may not expect a #1. He might expect to sell twenty or thirty thousand worldwide. The main reason he wanted to release these songs as an album may have been an act of pride, which was also (partly) the philosophy behind all his other compilations. I think it makes sense. I don't mind its low "use value". And I'm buying it. :)

You subscribe to Morrissey the noblest of intentions: a throwback album, released for pride despite record company protestations, in an age of music downloads, etc... I think it is what it is: a partial grouping of readily available tracks. For an artist who once decried the re-issuing and re-packaging, "Swords" is particularly aggregious. Nothing new, nothing from the vaults, nothing but what I have already bought and paid for. The album album cover being the final nail in the coffin: honestly, could anything "less" have been done in the production of this project?

Whatever. You want to spend your money on it, go with God. I'm past the point of caring, which is really sad because I had such admiration for the man. I still do, but his actions over te past year and a half have really made me question why he still presses on... Heresy, yes I know, I know it's serious.

Anyway, it's morning, I'm at work and haven't had my coffee yet so don't take anything I write too seriously...

As always, Worm my friend, it is good to have you back. Much happiness bro!:)

P.S. Sorry for any spelling errors. This damn public PC I'm using doesn't have a spell checker installed into the browser. I'm manical about these things!:crazy:

I think what you have to keep in mind with regards to Swords is that not everyone buys singles or seeks out B-sides, online or otherwise. Whether this was the main reason for its composition and release we cannot know, but I think people who buy Swords will probably be split into three groups. The first consisting of people who will buy it just because it's a new Morrissey release, the second people who have the b-sides on the singles but want them all together on one CD, and the third those who don't buy singles and are given the opportunity to hear songs they've never heard before. I personally belong to the third group.

I think what you have to keep in mind with regards to Swords is that not everyone buys singles or seeks out B-sides, online or otherwise. Whether this was the main reason for its composition and release we cannot know, but I think people who buy Swords will probably be split into three groups. The first consisting of people who will buy it just because it's a new Morrissey release, the second people who have the b-sides on the singles but want them all together on one CD, and the third those who don't buy singles and are given the opportunity to hear songs they've never heard before. I personally belong to the third group.

Look, I get the argument, but Morrissey is just a different animal. His fans are rabid. Is there anything like a casual Morrissey fan? I've never met one. I think the sales numbers will bear out my thesis: there just isn't a demand for this grouping of songs. My greatest disappointment is: it could have been an awesome opportunity to release hidden gems, alternate takes, etc. As it stands it's just a by-the-numbers compilation. If Greatest Hits only sold 66,000 copies, I don't see how this comes close to breaking 20,000. Hell, I've been a fan for nearly 20 years and I'm not buying it. I already bought the songs and have a CD-R burner. What's the point? The great artwork on the cover? Child, please!:)

Look, I get the argument, but Morrissey is just a different animal. His fans are rabid. Is there anything like a casual Morrissey fan? I've never met one. I think the sales numbers will bear out my thesis: there just isn't a demand for this grouping of songs. My greatest disappointment is: it could have been an awesome opportunity to release hidden gems, alternate takes, etc. As it stands it's just a by-the-numbers compilation. If Greatest Hits only sold 66,000 copies, I don't see how this comes close to breaking 20,000. Hell, I've been a fan for nearly 20 years and I'm not buying it. I already bought the songs and have a CD-R burner. What's the point? The great artwork on the cover? Child, please!:)

None of us are really upset that you're not buying it. Trust me. And we also don't care if you think we're wasting our money. Because it's our money. And we disagree with you. Simple as that, really.

i still can't believe that sleeve. i think it probably puts off any casual listeners from buying it.

never mind casual listeners, it's putting off people who've been fans for 20 years id est me!
still haven't bought it, simply for that reason - it's hideous.
just have to find a dimly lit record shop somewhere!
I have theories about why Morrissey has chosen such a horrible image but they're for another thread...

Who exactly are these "we" you keep referring to? :confused:

Do you mean it in the sense of, say, royalty?

So what you're saying now is that I need to EXPLAIN to you that you are not the only one on this forum? "We" in this case are those who have already voiced that their opinions differ from Vauxhall95 in the matter related to this thread, myself included. "We" are those who have said that they are going to buy "Swords" for whatever reason (again, myself included). Does that sort it all out for you or should we have a teacher come in? :squiffy: It's really not that hard at all, it's all in the context. You seem to be the only one conveniently misunderstanding it. And, at least in my perspective, it seems impossible to be a Morrissey fan and have any respect for "royalty." :D

So what you're saying now is that I need to EXPLAIN to you that you are not the only one on this forum? "We" in this case are those who have already voiced that their opinions differ from Vauxhall95 in the matter related to this thread, myself included. "We" are those who have said that they are going to buy "Swords" for whatever reason (again, myself included). Does that sort it all out for you or should we have a teacher come in? :squiffy: It's really not that hard at all, it's all in the context. You seem to be the only one conveniently misunderstanding it. And, at least in my perspective, it seems impossible to be a Morrissey fan and have any respect for "royalty." :D

Hmmm....the strange thing is, though, that you use these "we" terms in lots of other places too, not just about "Swords".

Sounds like you're making this up as you go along. :lbf:

never mind casual listeners, it's putting off people who've been fans for 20 years id est me!
still haven't bought it, simply for that reason - it's hideous.
just have to find a dimly lit record shop somewhere!
I have theories about why Morrissey has chosen such a horrible image but they're for another thread...

I know why Moz chose a bad pic for SWORDS. It's so he can do a MaL/SP reissue job in ten years because of the bad sleeve and track listing. Hmmm... that's a bit cynical, oh well :)

The funny aspect to me is I was responding to Worm's post. Why do you always get hooked? I've shut up and let you teenagers decry the wonders of YOR and SWORDS. What, do I have to send a private message to Worm? Child, please....

The funny aspect to me is I was responding to Worm's post. Why do you always get hooked? I've shut up and let you teenagers decry the wonders of YOR and SWORDS. What, do I have to send a private message to Worm? Child, please....

Last time I checked, this is a discussion forum, and anything on the public forums is open game for input. Who are you to tell me what I can and can't respond to? Girl-With-the-Thorn also replied to your conversation with Worm, but I didn't see you say anything snide to her.

And again you bring up the matter of tenure -- the opinions of Morrissey fans slightly younger than yourself don't carry any tolerability to you, do they? Because surely nothing that anyone younger than you says is valid :rolleyes:

If you don't want to read my replies, put me on ignore for heaven's sake. I promise I won't lose any sleep over it :D But don't expect to post something on a public forum and not get replies from people with different viewpoints than yours. That's not how it works (when you're deafened to advice :))

Last edited:
Last time I checked, this is a discussion forum, and anything on the public forums is open game for input. Who are you to tell me what I can and can't respond to? Girl-With-the-Thorn also replied to your conversation with Worm, but I didn't see you say anything snide to her.

And again you bring up the matter of tenure -- the opinions of Morrissey fans slightly younger than yourself don't carry any tolerability to you, do they? Because surely nothing that anyone younger than you says is valid :rolleyes:

I'd have to say that as much as Vauxhall95 is entitled to their opinion, I'm pretty much in agreement with the above.

I do agree that the main sleeve picture is odd and badly-chosen, though.

If you don't want to read my replies, put me on ignore for heaven's sake. I promise I won't lose any sleep over it :D But don't expect to post something on a public forum and not get replies from people with different viewpoints than yours. That's not how it works (when you're deafened to advice :))

Calm down. :rolleyes:

Come on to see how Leeds went but obviously everyone is going to The pubs near the venue... As for swords a pointless release that really is cashing on gullibility. Half of these tracks were already available on the Quarry deluxe. 90 per cent of us rarely buy hardcopy anymore cos everything is readily available. 1 question, how many albums get released without a leadoff single? A covers album would've sold more. A Smiths reunion lined pockets forever. Moz is a complex beast.

Back
Top Bottom