Spineless Swine @ Ottobar in Baltimore Sat. January 30th

Agreed. That's what I was trying to say.

You'll do very well in America. Most Americans love people with British accents. You should have no problem getting a job or male and female friends and admirers. Plus the exchange rate is always very favorable to the UK. Some people I know pay to fly here just to Christmas shop, they say the savings makes up for the cost of the airfare.

Plus maybe you can visit Morrissey's home town! :D

I already have one admirer and that is enough:thumb:
A job? Stuff that.....I'm going to live off unemployment benefits and scrounge off hard working Yanks:D:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

Partly!

I've also experienced some very ignorant and corrupt judges myself, so his story just backed up what I originally thought. This isn't just my opinion either. The entire system is very flawed both in America and in England.

The legal system is part popularity contest. It practically includes the swimsuit competition (cut your hair, wear a suit, and don't be black). The judge's personality predetermines your fate before you walk into the door.

Witness the recent US Supreme Court decision allowing unlimited corporate spending in political elections. They totally disregarded and overrode the law, e.g. previous Supreme Court decisions / precedents. You're supposed to use those precedents.

I've always wanted to spark a substantive debate on this site...mission accomplished, eh?

Here's the thing, it isn't necessarily anything Jukebox said (or any other Brit, for that matter) and it isn't the use of the term "Yank" - never really minded that except it's proximity to The New York Yankees (Blecchhhhh!) It's the condesending, dismissive manner in which the term is used. It's ugly and dripping with invective.

Fact is, although I am Irish, I consider England my home from home. I was just in London in October for the Mott The Hoople reunion shows and I had that feeling that I always get walking around Hammersmith or Covent Garden or Tower Hill - I could easily be dropped there and live out my days...or even in Banbury, Oxfordshire or the Medway area in Kent where I have a number of friends.

I also believe most Brits would be quite surprised to find the colonies would positively be their oyster on visit. "Yanks" are drawn to Brits - it's quite a funny thing. People often ask me where I'm from with this great sense of anticipation(I have an unusual accent, not sure what to call it) I delight in telling them Rockville Maryland!

Which reminds me, can we please get back to me?:)

I've always wanted to spark a substantive debate on this site...mission accomplished, eh?

Here's the thing, it isn't necessarily anything Jukebox said (or any other Brit, for that matter) and it isn't the use of the term "Yank" - never really minded that except it's proximity to The New York Yankees (Blecchhhhh!) It's the condesending, dismissive manner in which the term is used. It's ugly and dripping with invective.

Fact is, although I am Irish, I consider England my home from home. I was just in London in October for the Mott The Hoople reunion shows and I had that feeling that I always get walking around Hammersmith or Covent Garden or Tower Hill - I could easily be dropped there and live out my days...or even in Banbury, Oxfordshire or the Medway area in Kent where I have a number of friends.

I also believe most Brits would be quite surprised to find the colonies would positively be their oyster on visit. "Yanks" are drawn to Brits - it's quite a funny thing. People often ask me where I'm from with this great sense of anticipation(I have an unusual accent, not sure what to call it) I delight in telling them Rockville Maryland!

What shall we say about you?

People often ask me where I'm from with this great sense of anticipation(I have an unusual accent, not sure what to call it) I delight in telling them Rockville Maryland!

We like Rockville. Grew up in Burke, now south of there. How long have you been in Rockville? In high school in the mid 80s to early 90s, my fun thing to do would be to ride the metro alone all the way from one end to the other, and walk nearly a mile to Second Story Books and Yesterday and Today Records, and to the indian restaurant that was once next to it on Rockville Pike.

I always tell people i gre up in two places; RFK stadium and Yesterday and Today records. I have a massive collection of vinyl and probably 90% came from that store. Skip was a bit of a prick to deal with before he got on medication.
There was a young guy that worked there for a while named Tony, can't think of his last name. He was a HUGE Smiths fan and I remember they got in a signed copy of Meat Is Murder in early '85. I contemplated buying it but Tony said: Don't waste your money, we're going to meet them. Sure enough and, because of him, I did meet the band and got them all to sign Morrissey's do not disturb sign down at the Shoream (sp?) Hotel the morning after Warner Theatre and the day of the Philly show(we all went up for).
I've often wondered what happened to Tony - did you know him? He was rather a small black guy with high hair and a big smile....lived in Olney.
Happy days, those!

I always tell people i gre up in two places; RFK stadium and Yesterday and Today records. I have a massive collection of vinyl and probably 90% came from that store. Skip was a bit of a prick to deal with before he got on medication.
There was a young guy that worked there for a while named Tony, can't think of his last name. He was a HUGE Smiths fan and I remember they got in a signed copy of Meat Is Murder in early '85. I contemplated buying it but Tony said: Don't waste your money, we're going to meet them. Sure enough and, because of him, I did meet the band and got them all to sign Morrissey's do not disturb sign down at the Shoream (sp?) Hotel the morning after Warner Theatre and the day of the Philly show(we all went up for).
I've often wondered what happened to Tony - did you know him? He was rather a small black guy with high hair and a big smile....lived in Olney.
Happy days, those!

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue. I might have seen him but that's it. You could phone or email Skip, his info is on his website http://yesterdayandtodayrecords.com

Looks like Skip is in Olney. We almost moved to Olney.

I mainly browsed at Y&T, it wasn't my love or my lifeline or anything. Two things I think I may have bought from there was some Associates albums, a great Nico album, and an Elephant's Memory 7 inch. I got really into DC hardcore a few years later and of course Skip and Y&T figures into that mythology.

I also would walk the 1/2 mile or so into Georgetown for Tower Records, Orpheus records, Smash, and to a lesser extent Commander Salamander. We bumped into Ian Svenonius in Smash at it's new Adams Morgan location a year or two ago.

Oh, and we loved WHFS back in the day, before they changed. I remember they even played Foetus one Sunday. It was always hard to get their signal down in our area, and there was always a rumor or plan to get a stronger radio tower, but sadly it didn't happen until after they were bought and ruined. Kinda similar to WFMU and their excellent free blog of obscure music and video: http://blog.wfmu.org/

I must say after watching the youtube video that your Moz was very good!
I have seen many many different Smiths/Moz tribute bands from all over: Moz Angeles, Baltimore, D.C., San Antonio, New York, U.K. and yes even Ireland and yes some have weak links in their lineups - but hey I love the passion they all have for the music!

Jukebox Jury is a class act and from the times we have hung out in Manchester, London, and New York - I can safely say he is a great guy and I really don't believe he was being racist or even Anti-American with his comments about the "Yank" accent.

It's all good!

Hey if I was in Baltimore I would check the band out!

Cheers,

Jay

Jukebox Jury is a class act and from the times we have hung out in Manchester, London, and New York - I can safely say he is a great guy and I really don't believe he was being racist or even Anti-American with his comments about the "Yank" accent.
Cheers,

Jay[/COLOR]

Jay,:bow:
The cheque is in the post:thumb::D

Jukebox Jury

Nothing to add to the racism discussion, but back to the original topic about tribute bands. Since you came out swinging, I'll be 100% honest. I remember when your Baltimore band came out. Judging only by YouTubes here (since I never saw you live), you guys were awful. Your Morrissey impression wasn't bad, but your band, no way. Even that Still Ill video. Sounds like they all made up their own parts to the song. If your new "Spineless" band is the same lineup, it won't matter what deep cuts you're adding to your set list.

Just one guy's opinion here, but as someone who studies The Smiths' music daily and intently, and speaking just about the bands (not the singers):

These Charming Men... those Irish guys that have played the last couple conventions... those guys are amazing. The guitar player in particular does a fantastic job. Only guy out there that gets Johnny's parts down as accurately as I do. :p

Sons And Heirs from NYC are alright too. Their guitarist at least seems to genuinely care about what he's doing and the music they're paying tribute to. Hooligans from SoCal are phoning it in big time.

If you want to argue whose tribute Morrissey has the biggest hair, whatever. But Morrissey himself would have sounded like a lounge act if he were singing over you guys. Sorry dude.

Sorry, I should add that normally I'm totally supportive (or at least quiet) about whoever wants to go out there and give it their best, no matter how terrible or lazy it may sound to me.

But slagging off other tribute bands when you yourself are coming from that Baltimore band is preposterous.

Sorry, I should add that normally I'm totally supportive (or at least quiet) about whoever wants to go out there and give it their best, no matter how terrible or lazy it may sound to me.

But slagging off other tribute bands when you yourself are coming from that Baltimore band is preposterous.

i've never seen you, but im pretty sure your the band that my friend said he walked out on after 2 songs, in another thread. i think i saw pics of you wearing a zoot suit or something? I don't remember what Smiths era Morrissey was rocking those. just sayin.

I don't remember anyone wearing zoot suits, certainly not me. But at the same time, we're not up there doing Morrissey drag either.

If you want to hear the closest thing to the Smiths since Brixton, come see us (or perhaps These Charming Men). If you're more interested in the simple aesthetics of seeing someone in a quiff flop around on stage, then yes, go see virtually any of the others. For my part, I'm a musician, and my aim is to pay an honest and respectful tribute to the music itself. And as a band, we care about sounding like the Smiths, not impersonating them.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather see a tribute that's nailing the songs rather than just dressing the part. A lot of people swing flowers around and wear loose-fitting shirts. Far fewer take the time to learn and perform those songs with the care that they deserve.

Back
Top Bottom