Spineless Swine @ Ottobar in Baltimore Sat. January 30th

Quinn

Hey Gang,

Quinn here. Well there is a very good chance that this will be the last time for me. My band, the Treading Lemmings, is set to release our own album in June/July this summer. I have always said that when the album is done, I won't do the Moz thing anymore. Tributes take a lot of stick here, most of it deserved, btw - I mean, what's with that shit band that seams to play the convention every year? The dipstick playing Morrissey doesn't even know the words to many of the songs!? So I'm sure my announcement will be met with applause.
Some of these bands are decent, where they all get let down is on their Morrisseys. He's not a person easily portrayed or emulated and, you'll agree, that's a pretty critical area to have a shortcoming.
The guys in Spineless Swine are top flight musicians and MASSIVE fans of The Smiths. We play a really nice selection of "deeper" Smiths tracks as opposed to a set that is a total hit parade. The guys play with great love and respect. Me? Well, I have always said; There are only two Morrissey's and i'm one of them!

For a BIT longer, anyway.

Hope to see you there!

P&L

Q

What you mean is ''every single Smiths tribute band is crap. Except the one I am in''.:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

PS, this will be moved to 'Events' when Kewpie gets up:thumb:

Actually, that was an irresponsible response to an erroneous observation. A few tribute BANDS are pretty good, it's the Morrissey's that are a massive let down and don't you think that's rather key?

Oh, Modrevolve, don't be a poop. Come for the kicks if nothing else. :)

Actually, that was an irresponsible response to an erroneous observation. A few tribute BANDS are pretty good, it's the Morrissey's that are a massive let down and don't you think that's rather key?

So you have seen These Charming Men and Son & Heirs. Maybe Sweet & Tender Hooligans?

Have you seen any of the UK tribute acts?
The Smyths? Viva Morrissey (used to be Ambitious Outsiders)?, The Other Smiths? Smiths Indeed?

I hope you play 'Bigmouth Strikes Again.......' because it seems that you just have:rolleyes:

Do you have any youtube clips we can view so we can judge for ourselves as to how bloody great you are?
And do you sing with a scrawny Yank accent rather than soft northern English tones?

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Oh, Modrevolve, don't be a poop. Come for the kicks if nothing else. :)

The Kicks are going to be there? Doll too? :straightface:

Or do we actually get to kick Modrevolve?

soft northern English tones?

“Hi, Billy Mays here! Introducing the soft northern English tones of Morrissey! As featured on the George Lopez show! But wait! There's more! His new album "Swords" contains 27 times more oboe than other leading artists! Here's how to order."

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoRcNJHOIw

To Jukebox

This was from my first show with Girlfriend In A Coma. there are other videos of us on YouTube edited by a neighbour of mine who works for Discovery cannel but, there was nothing quite like that first show.

While I may be unduly self-aggrandizing(bringing the tribute full circle;)) I am not a racist. I am, like Morrissey, a full blooded Irish expatriot. While I understand your having a problem with my arrogance, I don't ever understand racism in ANY form!

Why is it Brits think they can say the hideous things they do about Americans and believe it is any more acceptable than whites calling blacks niggers or Nazis calling Jews sub-humans?

Can ANYONE reading this explain that to me?

I hope to see all of you...yes, even the racists, at the best Smiths tribute on the planet.

Quinn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoRcNJHOIw

To Jukebox

This was from my first show with Girlfriend In A Coma. there are other videos of us on YouTube edited by a neighbour of mine who works for Discovery cannel but, there was nothing quite like that first show.

While I may be unduly self-aggrandizing(bringing the tribute full circle;)) I am not a racist. I am, like Morrissey, a full blooded Irish expatriot. While I understand your having a problem with my arrogance, I don't ever understand racism in ANY form!

Why is it Brits think they can say the hideous things they do about Americans and believe it is any more acceptable than whites calling blacks niggers or Nazis calling Jews sub-humans?

Can ANYONE reading this explain that to me?

I hope to see all of you...yes, even the racists, at the best Smiths tribute on the planet.

Quinn

er, what did I say that was racist?:confused::confused:

Jukebox Jury

But what did I say that was racist?

Jukebox Jury

Sorry to butt in here, but perhaps this:
And do you sing with a scrawny Yank accent rather than soft northern English tones?

Maybe? I'm not sure.

Sorry to butt in here, but perhaps this:

Maybe? I'm not sure.

Good..... I was hoping someone would say it was that, you fell right into my trap:thumb:

Read this link here....... Liverpool football fans who want the two American owners of the club out, have been demonstrating against them, using the term 'Yanks Out' and were arrested and charged with racist chanting.
The judge threw the case out of court, saying they had no case to answer.
How can 'Yank' be a racist term? There is no such race as 'Yanks'. There was even a film called 'Yanks':rolleyes:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/view...-the-spirit-of-shankly-group-100252-25648296/

Jukebox Jury

Good..... I was hoping someone would say it was that:thumb:
Read this link here....... Liverpool football fans who want the two American owners of the club out, have been demonstrating against them, using the term 'Yanks Out' and were arrested and charged with racist chanting.
The judge threw the case out of court, saying they had no case to answer.
How can 'Yank' be a racist term? There is no such race as 'Yanks'. There was even a film called 'Yanks':rolleyes:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/view...-the-spirit-of-shankly-group-100252-25648296/

Jukebox Jury

Are you really citing the word of an English judge on a Morrissey site? Puh-leez. It's not the term "Yanks" that makes it racist, anyway. ... But you know that.

Anyway, you have to admit, there is a fair bit of hatred towards Americans in here. Whenever the British people in here go off on us and give examples of why they hate us, I never recognize any American I know in your descriptions of why we're so reprehensible.

Jus' sayin'.
:)

Right, I don't think anything in this thread is blatantly racist. I was just happy he'd said it, mainly I had other threads here in mind. I was going to say this in my previous post, but deleted it.

I do think that's what he's referring to. The sentence doesn't bother me. Yank usually isn't a pejorative term, by itself. I think he's interpreting your broader sentence as saying that Americans are inherently inferior to Brits, have weak voices inferior to UK voices and can't adequately imitate Morrissey.

I'm not sure it's an airtight case that you actually said Americans are generally inferior in this thread, so I wouldn't have made a case of it myself. But maybe he or others have read previous posts suggesting you think this.

Last edited:
Right, I don't think anything in this thread is blatantly racist. I was just happy he'd said it, mainly I had other threads here in mind. I was going to say this in my previous post, but deleted it.

I do think that's what he's referring to. The sentence doesn't bother me. Yank usually isn't a pejorative term, by itself. I think he's interpreting your broader sentence as saying that Americans are inherently inferior to Brits, have weak voices inferior to UK voices and can't adequately imitate Morrissey.

I'm not sure it's an airtight case that you actually said Americans are generally inferior in this thread, so I wouldn't have made a case of it myself. But maybe he or others have read previous posts suggesting you think this.

Bloody hell....... you have read way too much into my words than I ever have!

The singer of this tribute band was saying (my words, not his exact words) that he is the best 'Morrissey' in a tribute band and all the others let themselves down.
I was merely asking him, does he sing the songs with an American accent, (but used the word Yank, rather than American) or does he sing the song in an English accent (and specifically a northern English accent).
I don't think that is an unreasonable question to ask. I want to know (if I am going to see the band) if the singer is a good impression of Morrissey or is Dick Van Dyke doing his Yanky Cockney:D

How that is translated into subliminal overtones about the whole American race being inheriently inferior to the British race is beyond me:confused:
I was questioning one individuals ability to reproduce Morrissey.... not the whole nations ability (or lack of).

Personally, I am not anti American. If i was, I wouldn't be seeking to move there in the very near future.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you really citing the word of an English judge on a Morrissey site? Puh-leez. It's not the term "Yanks" that makes it racist, anyway. ... But you know that.

:)

So because Morrissey has a ''problem'' with two judges, you cast assertions on all of our judges forever more:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

Bloody hell....... you have read way too much into my words than I ever have!

How that is translated into subliminal overtones about the whole American race being inheriently inferior to the British race is beyond me:confused:
I was questioning one individuals ability to reproduce Morrissey.... not the whole nations ability (or lack of).

Personally, I am not anti American. If i was, I wouldn't be seeking to move there in the very near future.

Jukebox Jury

Agreed. That's what I was trying to say.

You'll do very well in America. Most Americans love people with British accents. You should have no problem getting a job or male and female friends and admirers. Plus the exchange rate is always very favorable to the UK. Some people I know pay to fly here just to Christmas shop, they say the savings makes up for the cost of the airfare.

Plus maybe you can visit Morrissey's home town! :D

So because Morrissey has a ''problem'' with two judges, you cast assertions on all of our judges forever more:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

Partly!

I've also experienced some very ignorant and corrupt judges myself, so his story just backed up what I originally thought. This isn't just my opinion either. The entire system is very flawed both in America and in England.

Back
Top Bottom