Southpaw Grammar re-master plus bonus tracks

Re: Tracklisting for new version of Southpaw?

Those songs are vaulted, I just wanted to let you guys know they exist..
Sorry for the tease

lol yeah you should be sorry. That's a terrible revelation to know a forum user has those songs and won't post them :(

just seen your post .. unfortunately i have no "inside" info , i do not work at head office and as previously mentioned there is no mention of it on our website . There was a u.s import available along with buggery years and the rhino best of , but that is now discontinued ( was just the uk old version though anyway). on a side note - I always loved this album from day one .. "teachers.." is brilliant and i think the only duff song on it is "best friend.." The first song that ever made me think that morrissey had lost touch with real life .. to quote panic - "it says nothing to me about MY life" - a self indulgent , self obsessive song that meant nothing to anyone outside of moz himself. Every other song is great .. from the hilarious "dagenham dave" to the epic sadness of the title track but my favourite moment is the vocal on "say the wrong word to our children.." if you long armed it at the time then if/when it is re-released give it another listen .. its been 13 years and counting.

Re: Tracklisting for new version of Southpaw?

Yes I have them, but not allowed to share...

noooooo.jpg

just seen your post .. unfortunately i have no "inside" info , i do not work at head office and as previously mentioned there is no mention of it on our website . There was a u.s import available along with buggery years and the rhino best of , but that is now discontinued ( was just the uk old version though anyway). on a side note - I always loved this album from day one .. "teachers.." is brilliant and i think the only duff song on it is "best friend.." The first song that ever made me think that morrissey had lost touch with real life .. to quote panic - "it says nothing to me about MY life" - a self indulgent , self obsessive song that meant nothing to anyone outside of moz himself. Every other song is great .. from the hilarious "dagenham dave" to the epic sadness of the title track but my favourite moment is the vocal on "say the wrong word to our children.." if you long armed it at the time then if/when it is re-released give it another listen .. its been 13 years and counting.

Wow I love Best friend on the payroll and it says plenty to me about my life but I won't go into detail...

I mean how can you not like that slightly rockabilly riff and the opening line.

"I turn the music down but I don't know why, this is my house?"

thankyou for reminding me how great this song is as I am listening to it right now :)

Last edited:
So, Will Southpaw Grammar ever be released or not?

None of the record stores here in Vegas have anything listed about the re-release, will it ever see the light of day here in the states, or are they just blowing smoke up our asses?

Re: So, Will Southpaw Grammar ever be released or not?

None of the record stores here in Vegas have anything listed about the re-release, will it ever see the light of day here in the states, or are they just blowing smoke up our asses?

it was never coming to the states.

Forgive me if this was covered...but, why a Soutpaw re-master but not Arsenal, Vauxull, Viva Hate, etc?

No specific reason was given. Guess it might be because there are some unreleased songs from that era that Moz (presumably) deems worthy of a proper release...

Wow I love Best friend on the payroll and it says plenty to me about my life but I won't go into detail...

I mean how can you not like that slightly rockabilly riff and the opening line.

"I turn the music down but I don't know why, this is my house?"

thankyou for reminding me how great this song is as I am listening to it right now :)

True 'dat.

Haha, and the debate continues...

Until I see it in the 'Morrissey' rack in HMV, then i'd be happy enough to live with my '95 original

No specific reason was given. Guess it might be because there are some unreleased songs from that era that Moz (presumably) deems worthy of a proper release...

It has been mentioned before, but a Maladjusted re-issue - an, erm, Readjusted - with Sorrow, the six b-sides, best outtakes - Kit, Hanratty, I Know Who I Love - and a nice, bright, crisp remix would be incredible.

What label has the rights to Maladjsuted? I know it was Island in the UK, but didn't they go out of business? Would it be Mercury who released it in the US?

I'd imagine RCA or whoever has Southpaw now just feels they can make some more cash from the album now Morrissey is 'back' and seeing as it's the only work Moz did with them they might as well try and get as much as they can out of it.

Forgive me if this was covered...but, why a Soutpaw re-master but not Arsenal, Vauxull, Viva Hate, etc?

Because the rights to "Southpaw Grammar" belong to Sony/BMG while the others you mention belong to EMI. Morrissey would have to strike a deal with EMI to have those re-released.

He's currently with Universal who also owns "Maladjusted". So it could be easy for him to re-release that album with extra material, but I don't blame him if he doesn't want to push that album back into the spotlight just now.

Anyhow, the material that hasn't made it onto "Maladjusted" is not that good (imo), but there are quite a few gems that were surprisingly kept off his EMI albums, particularly "Viva Hate" / "Bona Drag" and "Vauxhall & I".

Stephane

Because the rights to "Southpaw Grammar" belong to Sony/BMG while the others you mention belong to EMI. Morrissey would have to strike a deal with EMI to have those re-released.

He's currently with Universal who also owns "Maladjusted". So it could be easy for him to re-release that album with extra material, but I don't blame him if he doesn't want to push that album back into the spotlight just now.

Anyhow, the material that hasn't made it onto "Maladjusted" is not that good (imo), but there are quite a few gems that were surprisingly kept off his EMI albums, particularly "Viva Hate" / "Bona Drag" and "Vauxhall & I".

Stephane

I don't know which to do first; thank you for the explanation or strangle you for tantalising us again! :p

Stephane

Interesting divergence of opinion between you and Roky, from whom I also tried to pry more details of that period last week. :)

I continually surprise myself at my inability to exhaust my fascination & trainspotting of these lost bits. To that end, I would be curious to know if you are referring to additional unreleased material from Viva Hate & Bona Drag, as so many of the known titles have been aired in the public for years. The only (reputedly...I add that caveat quite strongly) complete (that, too) tracks that I don't think have surfaced in any fashion on the net are:

Viva Hate: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home, Lifeguard On Duty (both per Goddard)
Kill Uncle: Kill Uncle (not complete per Nevin?), My Name is Mortimer (Pomus/Shuman cover)
Your Arsenal/Vauxhall & I: Fantastic Bird (some disagreement as to when exactly) [I'm not counting Stay as You Are b/c the version we've heard is oft-times considered a hoax and is otherwise clearly incomplete.]
Southpaw Grammar: Laughing Anne, You Should Have Been Nice to Me, Honey You Know Where to Find Me (Buddy Buried Deeply?)
Maladjusted: Kit, I Know Who I Love, No One Can Hold a Candle to You, Hanratty (possibly I'm Not Worth Hitting AKA The Jake LaMotta Song, which I'm unsure has ever been confirmed as complete)
You Are The Quarry: the other "Cherokee demos" (Teenage Dad on His Estate, My Life is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye), Home Is a Question Mark

I'm not counting any of the apocryphal bits (e.g., Alain & Boz demos). (And PLEASE no new claims of that ridiculous Melanie song being a true Morrissey number!)

Stephane, that is your cue to confirm/add. ;)

Cheers,
Jamie

I'm not counting any of the apocryphal bits (e.g., Alain & Boz demos). (And PLEASE no new claims of that ridiculous Melanie song being a true Morrissey number!)

Stephane, that is your cue to confirm/add. ;)

Cheers,
Jamie

actually, as a sad sack completist I'll take the apocryphal bits, too!

Probably because Morrissey never was really satisfied with how Southpaw Grammar turned out. In Mojo, june 2004/127, he says that he did not know what he was thinking when he did the album artwork and that he thought it was a shame that such a great album would have that sleeve, etc. etc.

Interesting divergence of opinion between you and Roky, from whom I also tried to pry more details of that period last week. :)

Viva Hate: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home, Lifeguard On Duty (both per Goddard)

As for Viva Hate, isn't there "Fast Car, Sharp Curve, Bye Bye", "One Of Our Own", and "Treat Me Like A Human Being" too?

Tags
southpaw grammar
Back
Top Bottom