"Rococo Wordsmith Hamish Hawk Gets His Claws Into Morrissey" - Mojo (January 2024 issue)

Another tedious 'I loved Morrissey but now he's a bad guy' article in this month's Mojo from Hamish Hawk.
'I got into The Smith's at the end of university' says Hawk.
I adore their music, the power of Morrissey's voice and the yearning guitar.
Morrissey' poetry changed my life and his solo work has done a lot for me.......(now the obligatory Moz bashing)
but I feel he speaks out on things that maybe he doesn't know that much about.
I don't identify with him socially, culturally or politically'

To be fair to HH I honestly don't think he would have had the article printed in Mojo without the disclaimer.

Edit:

Article to view here (scan posted by Famous when dead):

Post in thread 'Hamish Hawk article - Mojo January 2024 issue.' https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...ojo-january-2024-issue.151693/post-1987558644

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine being called an idiot on Morrissey-Solo by someone named Mike
Rourke because Mike Rourke “understands the world of politics” “better”

This is my fav comedy site evvs!

Hamish is actually worth a listen. He carries the Moz/ Jarvis Cocker/ Scott Walker fromt man vibe, but knowingly and willing to acknowledge it.Some really great tracks in his cannon of work, peppered with very good and some cringe worthy lyrics.

When I first heard him, I was curious but critical. It didn’t take long for some of his songs to grab me.

An immediate listen for Moz fans is the Mauritian Badminton one, which I have to skip as it’s a Moz pastiche with dreadful lyrics. Hamish has much better songs.

Hamish is actually worth a listen. He carries the Moz/ Jarvis Cocker/ Scott Walker fromt man vibe, but knowingly and willing to acknowledge it.Some really great tracks in his cannon of work, peppered with very good and some cringe worthy lyrics.

When I first heard him, I was curious but critical. It didn’t take long for some of his songs to grab me.

An immediate listen for Moz fans is the Mauritian Badminton one, which I have to skip as it’s a Moz pastiche with dreadful lyrics. Hamish has much better songs.

To each their own. I think Mauritian has excellent lyrics. "I'd prefer to burn my body in Varanasi." I agree that he has some cringeworthy lines. His worst is probably, "I watch you walk along the beach | followed by dogs, you're the one unleashed."

To each their own. I think Mauritian has excellent lyrics. "I'd prefer to burn my body in Varanasi." I agree that he has some cringeworthy lines. His worst is probably, "I watch you walk along the beach | followed by dogs, you're the one unleashed."
That is the best line of that song. I’ll give you that,

But when it comes to politics, the man is an absolute idiot.
And it's cost him dear.
When the left become the authoritarian fascists - it's time to stand up and be counted against the left.
It has cost Moz dear. It has cost many people dear.
But history will judge Morrissey kindly - of that I have no doubt.

page_25.jpg
page_107.jpg

Morrissey mentions in the January, 2024 issue of Mojo Magazine (#362).
FWD.

What did it cost you?
Wasn't thinking about me.
Was thinking of the likes of Germain Greer, Graham Linehan, Kellie-Jay Keen, Kathleen Stock, James Dreyfus, Rosie Kay, and all the artists, musicians, lecturers, teachers, civil servants, health professionals and others who have been hounded out of their jobs or lost contracts for having a point of view different from the dogma.
If Hamish doesn't think Moz is a f***ing hero for his bravery and courage, he's a prat.

Is he really bashing Morrissey or cowardly protecting his mainstream aspirations? ..and from whom? Hint: It's not the right.

Thank goodness Moz has someone on his side, unfortunately it's Boy George who was convicted and sent to jail for handcuffing a beating a man.

Boy George is deemed more acceptable as an actual criminal, compared to Moz’s mere “wrongthink” and words. Ditto The Red Hot Chilli Peppers who are his recent studio band, they have a list of sexual assault allegations/convictions as long as your arm. Surely no criminal would be tone deaf enough to criticise Moz?

Wasn't thinking about me.
Was thinking of the likes of Germain Greer, Graham Linehan, Kellie-Jay Keen, Kathleen Stock, James Dreyfus, Rosie Kay, and all the artists, musicians, lecturers, teachers, civil servants, health professionals and others who have been hounded out of their jobs or lost contracts for having a point of view different from the dogma.
If Hamish doesn't think Moz is a f***ing hero for his bravery and courage, he's a prat.

I deleted it - but my point was - you lose nothing.

Morrissey says something mild & creeps like you say bigoted things & pretend it's his views.

You're hounding him out of his job while pretending to be a fan.

It's sickening.

Genuine question: do you think it’s not possible for one to love The Smiths but disagree with the Morrissey of 2023? Is the only scenario that given person is influenced by Guardian/time traveller journos from 1992?
It is - Nick Cave does....see his Red Hand Files.

The obligatory “I like his music but of course, I could never be friends with him now!”
Guess what, he doesn’t care, I don’t care, no one gives a flying f*ck.
He’s only saying this because his cover associates him with Morrissey and you have to distance yourself from people who have become persona non grata for the sake of your career.

Just more lock jawed pop-stars, thicker than pigshit, nothing to convey.

Where does this need to identify with singers you like come from? Think for yourself. Accept that people - even people you like/are pathologically obsessed with - might disagree with you.
Morrissey has no qualifications of merit, and has lived a life of pampered luxury for about 40 years. He has nothing in common with you. Or me - and I’m an Irish fourth gender humasexual generational poet and wit (although we differ on choice of trouser).

Who gives a f*** what he thinks about politics? And if you answered, “me!”, you have too much time on your hands and must be incapable of forming your own opinions. In any case, your opinions are equally as valid and/or inconsequential as Morrissey’s. So think what you want, let others think what they want, and shut the f*** up.
I would no sooner be informed on politics by Morrissey than I would by Russ Abbott.

He is a singer. Listen to the songs you like. Don’t listen to the songs you don’t like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom