Reviews of 'Years of Refusal'

Personally Moz could fart and release it and I would probably buy it, as with the quality he has released himself and with The Smiths he has earned it.
The only album I have never liked was Maladjusted.

Martin Söderström also gave his views on ROTT before it was released. If you want to compare:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/06/01/13/1650238.shtml

thanks for the link Chartres. kinda confirms my worst suspicions!
Boy Happy is described as "a really great pop tune. Sounds very much early seventies Bowie meets Oasis “Some Might Say”. Has “single” stamped all over it’s forehead. A great song!"
Work of Art has "a really catchy chorus."
'On the streets I ran' is described as "A fantastic track – quite possibly a single in my book!"
At least he accepts that 'Father must be killed' is duff "Melody wise the track never really happens and it ends with the drummer having quite a go at the old gong. The low point of the album in my opinion."
but he generally seems to think all the ROTT songs are great or fantastic.
if he's disappointed by Years of Refusal, that does give a little cause for concern ...

thanks for the link Chartres. kinda confirms my worst suspicions!
Boy Happy is described as "a really great pop tune. Sounds very much early seventies Bowie meets Oasis “Some Might Say”. Has “single” stamped all over it’s forehead. A great song!"
Work of Art has "a really catchy chorus."
'On the streets I ran' is described as "A fantastic track – quite possibly a single in my book!"
At least he accepts that 'Father must be killed' is duff "Melody wise the track never really happens and it ends with the drummer having quite a go at the old gong. The low point of the album in my opinion."
but he generally seems to think all the ROTT songs are great or fantastic.
if he's disappointed by Years of Refusal, that does give a little cause for concern ...

In his defence, I think it isn't ment to be taken very serious and just as guideline for hungry fans. And it's probably his personal opinion as a fan who has heard it once without breaks and not his opinion as a journalist.

Or, you both have different tastes: he prefers Ringleader, so you'll prefer Refusal.

Until we've heard it, it's difficult to say - but by the time of the remastered 2019 reissue which includes all the b-sides, a new cover, and different track-listing, I'm betting everybody will love it.

I actually can't believe people haven't even heard the album yet and are already deciding what songs they do and don't like...

This is moz-solo.. you can't possibly expect people here to make any sense at all.

It reminds me of an very old interview with Morrissey where he said people make a decision to like an artist or not.

I think some people have made the decision that they are not going to like this album already, and I doubt they are going to change that decision once they've heard it. They wouldn't want to lose face would they. :)

It reminds me of an very old interview with Morrissey where he said people make a decision to like an artist or not.

I think some people have made the decision that they are not going to like this album already, and I doubt they are going to change that decision once they've heard it. They wouldn't want to lose face would they. :)

I don't think that's really true apart from the trolls.
I really want this to be a great album. However, the inclusion of THPGU means there is already a song I will need the skip button for. Do quite like All You Needs Is Me tho.
I'm still pretty optimistic about the album. It all depends really on the quality of the melodies and the absence of duff lyrics (I'm not bothered if lyrics aren't amazing- just don't want the cringey stuff like kegs between legs).

The arrangements don't make a huge difference either. There's been talk of similarities to Southpaw Grammar. The problem with that record was the feeble melodies not the grungey production.
As long as the melodies are great on Years of Refusal, whether the songs have distorted guitars or synth strings or Spanish arrangements etc doesn't really matter...

yeah, I'm pretty optimistic from this review.
however, you have to be very careful with the se reviews from one-off playback sessions.
the record company selects the journalists very carefully - you can be sure people like Quanticks and Q's Jeff Harris won't be invited.
the early reviews from the last two albums both turned out to be misleadingly over-positive. one person said ROTT had 4 or 5 songs which were as strong as First of the Gang, something I think few of us would probably agree with.

FAir enough. On the other hand a less Moz-friendly reviewer may not be as familliar with the new songs he played live, which was basically one of the two criticisms we had about this album - the second being that it feels like a collection of songs - well I feel exactly the same about Viva Hate - and yet ... :)

As for Quantick and co. there is no point really - he could release the ultimate masterpiece, he would still get a bad review from those guys :rolleyes:

I also think that the standards for Moz are so incredibly high when compared with other recording artists/bands because of all he's done and the personal connection many fans feel with his work. Personally I am enjoying 21st century Moz. In the late 90's I practically gave up on pop/rock music. But then Moz came back and slowly so did I :D

Last edited:
Years of Refusal

From http://www.gigwise.com/article.php?id=48155

'Something Is Squeezing My Skull'

Morrissey lays down his intentions for the whole album with 'Something Is Squeezing My Skull'. It's a rampant conglomeration of powerful guitar chords, hurtling drumbeats and lyrics that detail the singer's cathartic state of mind. “I'm doing very well, I can block out the present and the past now,” Morrissey sings as the song opens. “I know by now you think I should have straightened myself out / Thank you, Drop dead.” As guitars continue to swirl aggressively, he talks about there being “no love” and “no hope” in modern life.

'Mama Lay Softly On The River Bed'

The message is once again heavy with reflection. “Mama, why did you do it? / Mama, who drove you to it?” Morrissey laments as a military drumbeat hits hard in the background. It continues for the following three minutes, as Morrissey evocatively details – one presumes – the fraught experiences of his own mother when he was a still child. It's a song riddled with questions which Morrissey sounds desperate to find the answer to. “Was it the pigs in grey suits?” he asks tragically. The rather funereal drumbeat colours the whole song alongside occasional flashes of psychedelic guitars.

'Black Cloud'

After two intense tracks, 'Black Cloud' hints at something a little different. A midway acoustic guitar breakdown provides a relaxing pause – albeit one that sounds like it's taken in a Spanish Tapas bar. Lyrically, Morrissey is still in an intense place of frustration and self-doubt. As his quest for a love he can't obtain develops, the song's energy builds amid a hectic climax of raw guitar and powerful, infectious basslines.

'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris'

The album's first single proper, 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' is awash with melodic guitar riffs which are reminiscent of Morrissey's legendary former band, The Smiths. As good as that will sound for some fans, the song develops into a rather uninspiring, wistful effort. “In the absence of your smiling face, I travel all over the place,” Morrissey sings. Again the message is inspired by love – and Morrissey's inability to obtain it. Here he has to settle for the “steel” of the French city.

'All You Need Is Me'

Released earlier this year year to coincide with the singer's greatest hits, 'All You Need Is Me' is still the same pompous stomp of thrusting guitars and wails that it was as a single. The bassline gallivants up and down the guitar neck beautifully as well. Suddenly, like the music, Morrissey sounds intent, purposeful again – boasting that his love will “miss me when I'm gone.”

'When I Last Spoke To Carol'

Six tracks in and a real gem. The Spanish guitar from 'Black Cloud' is introduced again along with a brash horn section that gives the whole track a carnival feeling. To the production credit of the late Jerry Finn, the music is a complete juxtaposition to Morrissey's stunning lyrics, which are some of the darkest on the album. As he sings, “When I said goodbye to Carol, black earth upon the casket fell,” Morrissey sounds like he's amid an intense bullfight. Sure to be an absolutely unforgettable track live. Morrrissey will do well to keep his shirt on.

'That's How People Grow Up'

Another one fans will have heard plenty of already. The song is textured with power chords that will resonate right into the listeners heart. Although great as a single, the song's role on the album is much more subliminal. One feels it exists simply to maintain momentum.

'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell'

'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell' continues the pace thanks to a drum beat of urgent snare rolls. Lyrically, Morrissey provides a warning to the listener. “Always be careful when you abuse the one you love,” he sings. “...One day goodbye will be farewell.” This sounds like a man who has learned his lessons in love the hard way. Again the guitars are reminiscent of much of Morrissey's more recent releases.

'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore'

A power ballad – and one that serves an important reminder to just how much Morrissey has personalised his lyrics in his ageing years. Here, like throughout much of the album, Morrissey appears to be divulging the feelings and emotions he once repressed. “Did you really think we meant all of those syrupy, sentimental things we said?” he ask, before adding: “All of the gifts that they gave can't compare to the love I am now giving you right here right now on the floor.” It's a deeply passionate, melodic and ambitious sounding track that's delivered by a fraught sounding Morrissey. Watch out for the huge guitar part.

'You Were Good In Your Time'

Another slow number but far more sparse than its predecessor. Simple jazz club-esque brush strokes combine with a soft, reverberating bassline. The song only takes on more depth as Morrssiey's sings sombrely – but with all his usual ambiguity – about a person on their death bed. As a soft string section flowers in the background, he sings: “Then you grip your hand now so small in mine, are you aware wherever you are that you have just died?” As the song ends, an inaudible voice wails in the background.

'Sorry Doesn't Help'

Normal service resumes as grandiose guitar riffs return to once again power the three and a half minute song to its conclusion. Only the occasional breakdown help gives the song any sense of depth and change in direction. But it's the lyrics (and just who they're about) that Morrissey sings so raucously that will get people talking. “But sorry doesn't help us, but sorry will not save us / And sorry will not bring my teen years back to me (any time soon).”

'I'm OK By Myself'

After spending much of the record searching for love and sounding more at ease with himself than ever, Morrissey brings the record to an end on a deeply paranoid note with 'I'm OK By Myself'. “Could this be an arm around my waist?” he asks himself. “Well, surely the hand contains a knife?” Stubbornly he adds: “I find I'm OK by myself”. The song's relentless BPM complements the sense of hedonistic independence and finality in Morrissey's voice. The guitars are again powerful - and on occasion quite experimental. This is an angry ending; an ending where Morrissey tries to grab back any details he may have carelessly, and uncharacteristically, unveiled to the listener.

So how will ‘Years of Refusal’ come to be remembered? Is it, as many hoped, Morrissey’s musical autobiography? Well, not quite. While there’s no doubt that he tackles certain issues - most notably humanity’s two biggest emotions, love and death - Morrissey's explanations are still shrouded in ambiguity. Where ‘Years of Refusal’ really does shine, however, is musically. It’s here that, on the verge of turning 50, Morrissey has just shifted into Top Gear.

Last edited:
Re: Years of Refusal

Poor post, good review. C&P from the libertines forum - merge it with the other YOR thread!!

Re: Years of Refusal

Thank you for this.

from bbc 6....ehh....jerry..thin?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20081112_Morrissey.shtml

Today's Music News
Morrissey... under the influence
Morrissey Sneak Preview
Former Smiths frontman previews his new album
11 December 2008 - Morrissey played his new album Years of Refusal to a room full of music industry big wigs and rock critics at The Pigalle Club at Piccadilly Circus in London today.

He introduced the album by saying he 'hoped to God' his audience would like it. It’s due out in February and was produced with the late Jerry Thin. Thin is an unlikely choice when you consider the other artists he has worked with; Green Day, Blink 182 and The Offspring to name a few.

But, Thin's influence is clear as the production is saturated with pounding drums and spiky guitar links. Stand-out tracks include Shame Is The Name which features Chrissie Hynde and Throw My Arms Around Paris. Lyrics such as When I Die I Want To Go To Hell show Mozzer is on top form and as gloomy as ever.

Lyrics such as When I Die I Want To Go To Hell
most likely from "shame is the name"?

inrock views on the album
http://www.lesinrocks.com//morrisse...musique-article/article/morrissey-au-cabaret/
url]http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesinrocks.com%2F%2Fmorrissey-au-cabaret&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate[/url]
the babelfish link doesnt work
tranlation balefishsite slow down and crashes as soon as it tries to open the translation so i cant copy the text in here either...:mad:
if somebody else could be trying tranlate the site, if interested
.cause its maybe the computer here not the site having problems

Last edited:
It's from 'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell'.:)

That was a really bad review, not in a sense that she thought the album was bad it's just the fact it didn't say anything. :rolleyes:
oops:o
have read the lyric sheet only once so at the moment the YORlyrics arent memorized ...yet;)
any yes a song-to song review would be more interesting...

Last edited:
Last edited:
inrock views on the album
http://www.lesinrocks.com//morrisse...musique-article/article/morrissey-au-cabaret/

if somebody else could be trying tranlate the site, if interested

Dear Sheila.

It's a witty and amusing review, but it's also quite cruel. To be honest translating the irony would be very hard. To sum it up, I'd just say JD didn't like the tapas.
I feel a bit guilty, I should have warned Morrissey. I've seen the guy. He's smallish but he has a huge appetite. Was never gonna be pleased with a couple of sushis...:o

Tags
morrissey refusal review reviews years
Back
Top Bottom