Reviews of 'Years of Refusal'

Maurice E

Thought this topic deserved its own thread.
Here is what appears to be the first review of the new album (which I've cut and pasted from the tracklisting thread):
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Report from the new Morrissey disc
There, now are all the parts for tomorrow's Romain-Gavras/rockumentär-uppslag submissions and I can finally devote myself to what happened yesterday afternoon. Then I set the speed at Universal's offices with home-made pepparkaksbakelser and saffransbiskvier to julfika with Charlie and Martin and at the same time listen in on the new Morrissey album. The disc Years of refusal released until Feb. 16 - single I'm Throwing my arms around Paris will be Feb. 9 - but because I knew that Charlie has already received the disc, I saw that immediately be invited for private listening.

And if we are to start with Epilogue: I like the disc! A lot. It contains no bottom tracks (the opening song Something is squeezing my sake, is so incomprehensible that Morrissey obviously got to be kidding with us) but also many very fine and very good songs.

I listened to the disc one (1) time - besides the immediate favorite track When I last spoke Thursday Carol that I asked to listen to an extra time - so subject to certain tracks may grow with time (half of the songs have already appeared in various live context), here a few very quick notes on Years of refusal.

Something is squeezing my sake. An alarming öppningslåt that led me to bring afternoon tea in the neck. Intense drums, rock and Moz sing faster than ever with a droll emphasis on the "sake". Why is this track on the disc? And as the number one song? Oh, dear.

Mama success lay on the riverbed. A marked improvement from track number one. Very drums, a hip sound and probably reminiscent of some of Maladjusted-time. A song with the potential to grow.

Black cloud. Sounds like a typical Morrissey anno 00-song speech. Skate backgrounds and ends with a short gitarrsolo.

I'm Throwing my arms around Paris. Perhaps the disc's finest track. Ache poparrangemang and guitar loops that allow Morrissey voice come instead to merge with a hip backdrop.

All you need is me. The swinging pophitten as Moz put on his Greatest Hits CD that came in the spring.

When I last spoke Thursday Carol. My favorite track and one of the best Morrissey songs at 00 century. Pampigt intro with Spanish guitars. It sounds radically bomb on a new Moz-way and towards the end turn also Spanish trumpets up and get him to let the celebratory (Yeah, I like to use the word hilarious here) than ever.

That's how people grow up. I've still difficult for Kris Teen Young's opera aspirated intro but like the rest of the song. Moz-swinging (this is a special type of swing).

One day goodbye will be farewell. Sounds like a typical Moz-song with the orotund and great text. I like it very much.

It's not your birthday anymore. Love Ballad string Morrissey is back. A song that stands out on the disc. The music mercantile on as if the special written to function in arena situations.

You were good in your time. A slow track with synthetic strings that ends with recordings from any film with flying machines. I guess post but the film is that samples?

Sorry does not help. Sounds like something that could be included on any of his recent discs. A swinging högtempo-song with neat end.

I'm OK by myself. Ursnyggt intro with the same pressures as Sweet and tender Hooligan. "Could this be an arm around my Waist?" Wonders Morrissey while guitars flashes and base running in the foreground. A brilliant clearance on the disc.

Years of refusal thus released Feb. 16. I am really looking forward to hearing When I last spoke Thursday Carol again. What a song! More complete analysis and comments when I listened to it again.

And here's a short one from the main website.
7/10 and not as good as the previous ones is a worry!
The full review sounds slightly more promising tho...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Hallo everyone from Italy.
A friend of mine who s a journalist this morning went to the offial listening of the new Morrissey album at the record company in Milan.
What he said is that the sound is more rock, lots of drums and sounds a bit Morriccone in some songs. He would give it a 7/10 and said it's good but not as the previouse ones.

If he thinks Something is Squeezing my Skull is shit then I'll wait for more reviews because along with Mama, in my opinion, it's easily the best of the new songs.

I can't understand half of what this plonker has written?

Haha I'm just hoping there might be some Swedes on the forums who could give us a better translation from the source material.

And if we are to start with Epilogue: I like the disc! A lot. It contains no bottom tracks (the opening song Something is squeezing my sake, is so incomprehensible that Morrissey obviously got to be kidding with us) but also many very fine and very good songs.

I listened to the disc one (1) time - besides the immediate favorite track When I last spoke Thursday Carol that I asked to listen to an extra time - so subject to certain tracks may grow with time (half of the songs have already appeared in various live context), here a few very quick notes on Years of refusal.

Something is squeezing my sake. An alarming öppningslåt that led me to bring afternoon tea in the neck. Intense drums, rock and Moz sing faster than ever with a droll emphasis on the "sake". Why is this track on the disc? And as the number one song? Oh, dear.

Mama success lay on the riverbed. A marked improvement from track number one. Very drums, a hip sound and probably reminiscent of some of Maladjusted-time. A song with the potential to grow.

Black cloud. Sounds like a typical Morrissey anno 00-song speech. Skate backgrounds and ends with a short gitarrsolo.

I'm Throwing my arms around Paris. Perhaps the disc's finest track. Ache poparrangemang and guitar loops that allow Morrissey voice come instead to merge with a hip backdrop.

All you need is me. The swinging pophitten as Moz put on his Greatest Hits CD that came in the spring.

When I last spoke Thursday Carol. My favorite track and one of the best Morrissey songs at 00 century. Pampigt intro with Spanish guitars. It sounds radically bomb on a new Moz-way and towards the end turn also Spanish trumpets up and get him to let the celebratory (Yeah, I like to use the word hilarious here) than ever.

That's how people grow up. I've still difficult for Kris Teen Young's opera aspirated intro but like the rest of the song. Moz-swinging (this is a special type of swing).

One day goodbye will be farewell. Sounds like a typical Moz-song with the orotund and great text. I like it very much.

It's not your birthday anymore. Love Ballad string Morrissey is back. A song that stands out on the disc. The music mercantile on as if the special written to function in arena situations.

You were good in your time. A slow track with synthetic strings that ends with recordings from any film with flying machines. I guess post but the film is that samples?

Sorry does not help. Sounds like something that could be included on any of his recent discs. A swinging högtempo-song with neat end.

I'm OK by myself. Ursnyggt intro with the same pressures as Sweet and tender Hooligan. "Could this be an arm around my Waist?" Wonders Morrissey while guitars flashes and base running in the foreground. A brilliant clearance on the disc.

Years of refusal thus released Feb. 16. I am really looking forward to hearing When I last spoke Thursday Carol again. What a song! More complete analysis and comments when I listened to it again.

yes, it's a poor Google translation!
but we can can glean some interesting stuff:

-'When I Last Spoke to Carol' is the standout song (according to the reviewer). Surprising coz it doesn't sound too promising!
-Recorded version of Something is Squeezing is not too good
-Mama is pretty good; mentions the drums, which were distinctive in the live version (with three drummers on stage)
-Black Cloud; a typical modern day Moz song, which I wouldn't take as a flattering description! Perhaps not the classic that Boz led us to believe
-Paris sounds wonderful. Our reviewer thinks it could be best song on the album; maybe lead-off single decision not so bad afterall.
-Carol is musically unusual and one of the best 21st century Moz songs. Features Spanish guitars and trumpets.
-THPGU; sounds like it's the version we know with the awful KY opera intro; our reviewer also dislikes this bit.
-It's Not Your Birthday Anymore; a slow song with a string arrangement. A 'stand out' song on the album.
-'Good in your time'; another slow song. has synth strings (like Camden). yuck!
-And finally, the two new recent Tobias additions; 'Sorry doesn't help' sounds like standard latter-day Moz fare (not too encouraging)
-I'm OK by myself: sounds promising; musically reminiscent of Sweet and Tender Hooligan (Jesse likes his electric guitars!). A brilliant way to end the album.

I can't understand half of what this plonker has written?

you're not the only one. I got through paragraph one and I feel ill. Although I do agree with him about Skull. That song will be on skip for me I think.

Last edited:
yes, it's a poor Google translation!
but we can can glean some interesting stuff:

-'When I Last Spoke to Carol' is the standout song (according to the reviewer). Surprising coz it doesn't sound too promising!
-Recorded version of Something is Squeezing is not too good
-Mama is pretty good; mentions the drums, which were distinctive in the live version (with three drummers on stage)
-Black Cloud; a typical modern day Moz song, which I wouldn't take as a flattering description! Perhaps not the classic that Boz led us to believe
-Paris sounds wonderful. Our reviewer thinks it could be best song on the album; maybe lead-off single decision not so bad afterall.
-Carol is musically unusual and one of the best 21st century Moz songs. Features Spanish guitars and trumpets.
-THPGU; sounds like it's the version we know with the awful KY opera intro; our reviewer also dislikes this bit.
-It's Not Your Birthday Anymore; a slow song with a string arrangement. A 'stand out' song on the album.
-'Good in your time'; another slow song. has synth strings (like Camden). yuck!
-And finally, the two new recent Tobias additions; 'Sorry doesn't help' sounds like standard latter-day Moz fare (not too encouraging)
-I'm OK by myself: sounds promising; musically reminiscent of Sweet and Tender Hooligan (Jesse likes his electric guitars!). A brilliant way to end the album.

Thank you for the intelligent recap Maurice E.

I'm not a big fan of sake (too drunk, too fast) but after this review I think I have to give it another try. :) "Oh, dear!"

For the record I meant sake the drink. I LOVE sake the song. But you're right dizzywhore, it's amazing all the "pre-judging" going on. Calm down people.

wellll, s/he probably has heard sisms and has decided they don't like it.

Why is everyone so f***ing critical of Morrissey's music? Not counting the lyrics of course.

We should all be so happy that he is even still making music, the amount of critical shyte he gets.

Oh blahdy blah people complaining about ''all you need is me'' etc being crap. I thought it was fab actually, i very much get in the mood for dancing with that song! haha

Morrissey is the best, simply.

Sorry I can't stand criticisms of his work.

Thanks for the reviews! And I had little problem decoding what was being said. Why was it so hard for so many of you??
Of all the tracks I've heard live, SISMS is easily my favorite. And from what I gather from the review, s/he doesn't like it because it's a bit to rock-y which I'm fine with. Apparently it caused s/he to throw up in his/her mouth. "led me to bring afternoon tea in the neck". I found this line to be HILARIOUS by the way. :D

Tags
morrissey refusal review reviews years
Back
Top Bottom