Off-topic discussion thread / moved as clogging other threads

Are you going to pay my medical bills if I go to Tower Hamlets on your recommendation and get acid thrown in my face?

View attachment 102734

Yes terrorism is rare, and likewise, Ted Bundy killing people was rare. He murdered at least 36 women but he was alive for 15,402 days; so he only murdered people on approximately 0.2% of the days of his life. That’s a minuscule percentage. Let’s say he met 40,000 people over the course of his life (the average amount of people we meet during a full life is apparently 80,000) and if he murdered 36 of those 40,000 people then that’s only 0.09%. Spending time in his company was mostly fine.

I was a bit unsympathetic in a previous reply.

Stop reading stuff that scares you - & just go live your life.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Says someone who spends all day, and night, searching for negative comments all over the internet just so you can ‘correct’ them.

You're a werido that hangs about a music forum!
ironic alanis morissette GIF

Can all the shite above this ☝️ get moved from off topic to the politics thread?
I’ve got some poetry coming tonight and don’t want this stuff ruining the experience.

The new Einstürzende Neubauten single is fantastic.

I suppose that would be up to them, Hofmann. But Europe and the Americas are statistically much safer for Jews than Israel is, so they could start from there. Argentina's new president is a wacky and ardent Judaeophile. He would welcome them heartily. And if you think Trump is likely to be re-elected, then I'm sure Trump would be delighted to take as many Israeli refugees as might want to settle here. It's one way (among several) where Trump and Morrissey are alike: they both make casually anti-Semitic remarks, but they're also both Zionists. I don't think either one has put much thought into it. Trump is no Christian Zionist caught up in biblical eschatology. I imagine Trump's reasoning goes something like:
  • My daughter is a convert to Judaism.
  • I think my daughter is pretty hot.
  • Ergo: I love Jews!!!!

Jews aren't feeling very safe in the UK, Europe or the US anymore.

The Adam Curtis documentary? Not yet.

I think some of his connections are a little bit of a reach - but there's always some interesting quirky detail.

His idea that Peter Rachman became the most evil landlord (so famous I don't even know where I heard about him, his name was just always around) because he was Jewish was interesting. London was treating people badly - but the scapegoat had to be an outsider.

My main take about that documentary was how wrong the UK and the US were in their opposition to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan...which led to later developments.

Can all the shite above this ☝️ get moved from off topic to the politics thread?
I’ve got some poetry coming tonight and don’t want this stuff ruining the experience.

If that's the poem you sent to me to review for you, I'd think twice about posting it - it wasn't that good, and you've done better. I think you know that already!

I suppose that would be up to them, Hofmann. But Europe and the Americas are statistically much safer for Jews than Israel is, so they could start from there. Argentina's new president is a wacky and ardent Judaeophile. He would welcome them heartily. And if you think Trump is likely to be re-elected, then I'm sure Trump would be delighted to take as many Israeli refugees as might want to settle here. It's one way (among several) where Trump and Morrissey are alike: they both make casually anti-Semitic remarks, but they're also both Zionists. I don't think either one has put much thought into it. Trump is no Christian Zionist caught up in biblical eschatology. I imagine Trump's reasoning goes something like:
  • My daughter is a convert to Judaism.
  • I think my daughter is pretty hot.
  • Ergo: I love Jews!!!!

Morrissey is nothing like Trump & if he was a Zionist I'm sure he would have said something about the war by now. Their propagandists are working overtime.

Morrissey is nothing like Trump & if he was a Zionist I'm sure he would have said something about the war by now. Their propagandists are working overtime.

I didn't say he was exactly like Trump. But there are certain similarities. They both enjoy being provocative and feed off adulation and sycophancy, and both have persecution complexes and very thin skin. And they are both prone to innocent anti-Semitic remarks, yet both are Zionists. I know you think the song Israel is about "sex & Catholicism," and that is your right. I think most listeners would disagree with you. "Love yourself | as you should | Israel." There's already a thread where we've parsed every line of that song, so there's no point in going over it again. Also, purely circumstantial, but: Anne Marie Waters and Douglas Murray are both Zionists, and he's praised them both (around the same time as the song, no less).

Personally, I think if Morrissey wasn't a Zionist he would've said something about the war by now. If you have a 7-yr-old song praising a country uncritically, and that country is presently committing ethnic cleansing, you may in good conscience want to write at least a paragraph on your blog making a clarification or an update of your thoughts. Otherwise your silence endorses your prior support. But no. "Look at my name in neon blue in the lobby of this airport hotel."

Jews aren't feeling very safe in the UK, Europe or the US anymore.

True, they aren't. That's the age-old law of behaviors having consequences. Israel's tactics in Gaza are earning them global dislike. Everyone can see what's going on there. But Jews are still, nevertheless, statistically safer in Europe and the Americas.

I didn't say he was exactly like Trump. But there are certain similarities. They both enjoy being provocative and feed off adulation and sycophancy, and both have persecution complexes and very thin skin. And they are both prone to innocent anti-Semitic remarks, yet both are Zionists. I know you think the song Israel is about "sex & Catholicism," and that is your right. I think most listeners would disagree with you. "Love yourself | as you should | Israel." There's already a thread where we've parsed every line of that song, so there's no point in going over it again. Also, purely circumstantial, but: Anne Marie Waters and Douglas Murray are both Zionists, and he's praised them both (around the same time as the song, no less).

Personally, I think if Morrissey wasn't a Zionist he would've said something about the war by now. If you have a 7-yr-old song praising a country uncritically, and that country is presently committing ethnic cleansing, you may in good conscience want to write at least a paragraph on your blog making a clarification or an update of your thoughts. Otherwise your silence endorses your prior support. But no. "Look at my name in neon blue in the lobby of this airport hotel."

They're not similar at all. Morrissey is a shy singer who disappears when he's upset. Trump is a loud businessman who is never out of the media.

Morrissey is against the government of Israel & the Army. He's said he doesn't blame people for their governments. He let a fan insult Netanyahu. It was a left-wing mayor who gave him the keys to Tel Aviv - it's most left-wing city. Some far right c*** was lobbying the family & SER runs Central & seems to still be down a far right rabbit hole.

Israel needs defenders right now - it's losing even its trad staunch allies. Palestine has a lot of support.

The amount effort put into using Morrissey for propaganda is frankly weird.

In 2006 the Tories were trying to hijack him. Then the BNP comes rolling in.

Can they not just piss off so we can get some decent vinyl reissues?

They're not similar at all. Morrissey is a shy singer who disappears when he's upset. Trump is a loud businessman who is never out of the media.

Yes, and you'll notice I didn't say they were similar in every way. They're not. I just pointed out some similarities. Liam Gallager is probably more like Trump than Morrissey is, but I don't know Gallagher's position on Israel. He sure hasn't written a song about it.

Morrissey is against the government of Israel & the Army. He's said he doesn't blame people for their governments. He let a fan insult Netanyahu.

I beg your pardon, but what do you mean "he let a fan insult Netanyahu?" Was this something that happened at a concert? Are we supposed to deduce a singer's position from every line of hollered commentary from the audience that the singer doesn't explicitly correct?

Some far right c*** was lobbying the family & SER runs Central & seems to still be down a far right rabbit hole.

I'm not getting into that with you. All we need to know is that Morrissey is aware that he has a website called Morrissey Central with a section called Messages from Morrissey. He can get to the site all by himself, and he can read what it says, and he can compose a post on Israel/Gaza for the Messages page if he wants to. He apparently does not want to.

Yes, and you'll notice I didn't say they were similar in every way. They're not. I just pointed out some similarities. Liam Gallager is probably more like Trump than Morrissey is, but I don't know Gallagher's position on Israel. He sure hasn't written a song about it.

I beg your pardon, but what do you mean "he let a fan insult Netanyahu?" Was this something that happened at a concert? Are we supposed to deduce a singer's position from every line of hollered commentary from the audience that the singer doesn't explicitly correct?

I'm not getting into that with you. All we need to know is that Morrissey is aware that he has a website called Morrissey Central with a section called Messages from Morrissey. He can get to the site all by himself, and he can read what it says, and he can compose a post on Israel/Gaza for the Messages page if he wants to. He apparently does not want to.

They're not similar at all. You just want to link him to a right-wing politician.

Morrissey's has expressed views on the Israeli government & the army & those views are negative.

I doubt Morrissey would confront SER & SER has been caught trying to hide what he's up to.

They're not similar at all. You just want to link him to a right-wing politician.

Morrissey's has expressed views on the Israeli government & the army & those views are negative.

Let's not have the same conversation all over again. Can you link to where Morrissey has made a specific remark about the Palestinian cause or Israel's occupation and settlements? Because vague "I don't support every last thing about the government" or "I love the Israeli people and I can't answer for what Israeli armies do" (when the armies are the people, given conscription) are just useless platitudes.

I doubt Morrissey would confront SER & SER has been caught trying to hide what he's up to.

Like I said, I can't get into that with you. You have a fabulist's take on Morrissey Central. My view is that Morrissey is an intelligent adult, capable of thinking for himself, and has a basic command of how to use the internet and his own website on it.

Back
Top Bottom