Now My Heart Is Full meaning?

I_Cried

Hi! This my first real post on this forum

One of my alltime favorite Morrisseyssongs is Now my heart is full. It has that hyptonic guitar intro, moz voice sounds incredibly intimate and ofc contains some of most poetic lines. However i cant quite work out the exact meaning of the song. It sounds quite sad and almost suicidal with lines like "i was tired again,i tried again" and "i just cant explain, So i wont even try to.". Then there´s that refrence to the characters of Brighton Rock.

Personally i think its about suicide(Brighton Rock ends with the protagonist killing himself) or simply that morrissey wants to hit the reset-button and start a new life where he he´s not being so caught up in books and movies or maybe i just dont get it...

What are your interpretations of this song?

From the horse's mouth:

In an interview published in Les Inrockuptibles in 1995, Morrissey said "This song was the definitive expression of my change to adulthood, of my maturity. And, to be honest, I was very happy to be able to sing this text, to have reached this state. After this song I could perfectly retire: I've come full circle."

In an interview published in Select in 1994, he said "'Now My Heart Is Full' has a sense of jubilant exhaustion with looking over one's shoulder all the time and draining one's reference points. I mean, even I - even I - went a little bit too far with A Taste Of Honey. I have perhaps overtapped my sources and now all that is over, basically. I have a vast record and video and tape collection, but I look at it now in a different light. It's no longer something I feel I need to be embroiled in night and day. I have realised that the past is actually over, and it is a great relief to me. It's like being told that you've been cured of chronic tuberculosis or housewife's knee or something."

Back
Top Bottom