Don't make fun of daddy's voice: Meaning

MORRIZSEY

Wrong species
(I know this has been discussed before)

Is the meaning anything other than sexual abuse?

Long ago, when he was young and restless, suddenly, Daddy saw the beckoning
finger of fate
Don't make fun of Daddy's voice because he can't help it, when he was a teenage
boy something got stuck in his throat
When you are young you crave affection, and it can come from the strangest
direction
No te pervertes con pappy. No te pervertes con pappy, No te pervertes con pappy. No te pervertes con pappy.
No te pervertes con pappy. No te pervertes con pappy, No te pervertes con pappy. No

Long ago, when he was young and restless, suddenly, Daddy saw the beckoning
finger of fate
When you are young you crave affection, and it can come from the strangest
direction
No te pervertes con pappy. No te pervertes con pappy, No te pervertes con pappy. No te pervertes con pappy.
No te pervertes con pappy. No te pervertes con pappy, No te pervertes con pappy. No

Plausible.

Re: For your interest

I suggest you to read this thread

Why don't you read THIS thread, loser. To the person who started this thread, just ignore old Kuntie - it has nothing better to do than to "correct" and guide other people.

The correct lyris is "No te divertes con pappy' instead of what you've written.

The Dad just has a camp voice I reckon.

The mother (or some family relative, possibly) explains it to the child (who else would refer to him as 'daddy' to the person being addressed) and explains it in terms of a youthful fling or phase (she may believe it was just that, she may not). The something is partly metaphoical, but could also imply he participated in oral sex with another man as well. It is the 'strangest' direction because that is how the speaker characterises it. The father could potentially be in the closet, it's ambiguous, but quite possible given that he has retained this voice (if it is just him having a camp voice).

The Spanish in the song is botched, I believe, but presumably was intended to mean 'don't make fun of daddy, no'.

I took it to be the dad talking about himself in the 3rd person the way a parent does to their own (small child) at times.

I've always believed there was a defining sexual event in Morrissey's youth (probably young teens) that has informed songs from Reel Around the Fountain all the way up to Sorry Doesn't Help.

There have been rumors of Morrissey having a child. Maybe Daddy's Voice was humorous response to his kid asking "Why do you sing weird like that?"

A lot of people overestimate Morrissey's use of metaphor IMHO.

The Dad just has a camp voice I reckon.

The mother (or some family relative, possibly) explains it to the child (who else would refer to him as 'daddy' to the person being addressed) and explains it in terms of a youthful fling or phase (she may believe it was just that, she may not). The something is partly metaphoical, but could also imply he participated in oral sex with another man as well. It is the 'strangest' direction because that is how the speaker characterises it. The father could potentially be in the closet, it's ambiguous, but quite possible given that he has retained this voice (if it is just him having a camp voice).

The Spanish in the song is botched, I believe, but presumably was intended to mean 'don't make fun of daddy, no'.

I took it to be the dad talking about himself in the 3rd person the way a parent does to their own (small child) at times.

I've always believed there was a defining sexual event in Morrissey's youth (probably young teens) that has informed songs from Reel Around the Fountain all the way up to Sorry Doesn't Help.

There have been rumors of Morrissey having a child. Maybe Daddy's Voice was humorous response to his kid asking "Why do you sing weird like that?"

A lot of people overestimate Morrissey's use of metaphor IMHO.

I find the "secret child" rumours truly insane, but I remember reading an interview from the late 80s where he said he lost his virginity at 13, in "an isolated incident, an accident", and then swore off sex for a long time after. I've always wondered what really went on there.

I recall some people at the time speculating the song was a sly comment on Johnny's attempts at singing - don't make fun of Johnny's voice, as it were. Obviously, Johnny is a daddy himself - but usually when Morrissey writes about a father figure he is referencing himself. I think when he mentions a Mama (or a Ma) then it is much more likely to be some sort of reference to Marr.

I recall some people at the time speculating the song was a sly comment on Johnny's attempts at singing - don't make fun of Johnny's voice, as it were. Obviously, Johnny is a daddy himself - but usually when Morrissey writes about a father figure he is referencing himself. I think when he mentions a Mama (or a Ma) then it is much more likely to be some sort of reference to Marr.

You see some sort of reference to Marr in everything...:cool:

It's about a guy, a middle aged guy, a normal guy with kids but who has a weird voice because he experimented with other men when he was a desperate, lonely teenager and had an unfortunate accident getting an erect penis lodged in his larynx, forever maiming his speaking ability.

It's just a funny song, a great tune, no need to overanalyze but if you must, well, that's what it is about.

this.

Best was hearing it performed for the first time ever (?) at the Apollo NYC. f*** those shows were awesome.

It's about a guy, a middle aged guy, a normal guy with kids but who has a weird voice because he experimented with other men when he was a desperate, lonely teenager and had an unfortunate accident getting an erect penis lodged in his larynx, forever maiming his speaking ability.

That's what I said. ;)

Is that even anatomically possible? A larynx injury resulting in a permanent speech defect, because of receptive oral sex?

Is that even anatomically possible? A larynx injury resulting in a permanent speech defect, because of receptive oral sex?

I think if you have to ask that you are just not trying hard enough.

I'd like to second Hellie's quote from the earlier thread.

Hellie said:
I think anyone who thinks this needs to get some serious therapy.Not everything has deep sexual meaning. Its just a silly light hearted song and probably an observation of one of his family.Maybe from long ago.

Last edited:
The reason I'm inclined to think it doesn't allude to sexual abuse is the music. It's a happy upbeat song, not a tune that sets a tone exploring some deep sexual transgression from the past, even if listened to ironically.

Back
Top Bottom