moz had is day

Personally, I do not feel that Morrissey has had his day. I still think he has some fantastic songs, and his lyrics are still very strong. Ok, in some cases they are a bit poor (e.g. some tracks from Ringleader) but this happened in The Smiths too.

I think that he needs a new and more interesting band as currently, they may seem energetic and fun but the music sounds mediocre a lot of the time and doesn't fit the lyrics, often it is really predictable and seems to revolve around the same guitar and heavy thumping bass. Not all the songs are like this but I feel the majority of them are.

Love PTxx.

Morrissey is as much a product as Lady Gaga. Only a fool can't face that fact.

If by that you mean their music, then yes. But if you mean Morrissey himself and Lady Gaga herself, then you are deluded. People are not products, not even the ones we don't like.

If by that you mean their music, then yes. But if you mean Morrissey himself and Lady Gaga herself, then you are deluded. People are not products, not even the ones we don't like.

Well, i'm pretty sure Morrissey is a product of his mother and father having f***ed but i'm sure a few people would deny even that!

Yes I did mean their music. People such as whatsisnameblackburnroversperson seem to view 'pop' acts as less authentic than that working-class-soil-beneath-his-fingernails-pint-down-the-local-with-the-lads multimillionaire popstar Morrissey whereas they are one and the same. Yes perhaps Morrissey's influences are more credible, maybe his musical background involves more sweaty little pub gigs and 'hardships' but I don't think we can really judge other acts without knowing their history and background can we? I mean, who here knows Lady Gaga's life history for example?
Every musician, once they put pen to paper on a recording contract is authorising a company to build the 'brand', so each time Morrissey signs to a new label he is going with a company that he feels can best support, promote and help increase the size and popularity of the 'Morrissey brand'. We can either accept the truth of the industry or live in a fairytale world where we think artists sit at home spouting genius through each breath and that someone just so happens to be there to capture it on record and stick it out for the public, while the artist sits back and cares not one jot for the results.
Morrissey is a product just like Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Blur, Neil Young, Prince, Westlife, whof***ingever. There are certain artists whose art speaks to you on levels that other artists couldn't dream of but it makes them no less a part of the machine of the industry. Deal with it and accept music for what it is - the greatest art form on the planet.

Last edited:
How many people feel this thread is pointless?

Because we REALLY have some pressing issues to get to, don't we? :p :D

He HAS a day

>.>

I don't think it's pointless.

However, it's frustrating that lostsoul2 hasn't explained the reasons that he finds Morrissey's latest album isn't good enough etc.

Yes, I am quite frustrated that someone has an opinion without explaining it. I mean, on the internet -- really! Who would think of such a thing?? :rolleyes:

Yes I did mean their music. People such as whatsisnameblackburnroversperson seem to view 'pop' acts as less authentic than that working-class-soil-beneath-his-fingernails-pint-down-the-local-with-the-lads multimillionaire popstar Morrissey whereas they are one and the same. Yes perhaps Morrissey's influences are more credible, maybe his musical background involves more sweaty little pub gigs and 'hardships' but I don't think we can really judge other acts without knowing their history and background can we? I mean, who here knows Lady Gaga's life history for example?
Every musician, once they put pen to paper on a recording contract is authorising a company to build the 'brand', so each time Morrissey signs to a new label he is going with a company that he feels can best support, promote and help increase the size and popularity of the 'Morrissey brand'. We can either accept the truth of the industry or live in a fairytale world where we think artists sit at home spouting genius through each breath and that someone just so happens to be there to capture it on record and stick it out for the public, while the artist sits back and cares not one jot for the results.
Morrissey is a product just like Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Blur, Neil Young, Prince, Westlife, whof***ingever. There are certain artists whose art speaks to you on levels that other artists couldn't dream of but it makes them no less a part of the machine of the industry. Deal with it and accept music for what it is - the greatest art form on the planet.

Yes and no.

Every artist who signs a contract is a commodity, no doubt about it. However, there is a big difference between inception and marketing. It is the origins of the band that are significant when you define "product," and when you make a value-judgement about a singer's worth as an artist.

When it comes to music:

There are blatant products - bands that are fabricated via focus groups, pr firms, etc. They are the least offensive, and have the greatest potential audience. I dismiss them out of hand because I'm an elitist snob :)rolleyes:), and because I prefer music that challenges the status-quo, and that comes straight from the heart.

There are singers/groups who are the product of a creative manager. They may be a bit more interesting (Malcolm McLaren comes to mind).

Then there are artists who are self-created. Those are the valuable ones, the visionary ones, the important ones. Those are the ones who do the heavy-lifting themselves. They may become rich and famous, but that does not in any way negate their brilliance. They may eventually lose touch with their inspiration, but their genius has a life of it's own.

You're right, you can't judge an act's authenticity without knowing their origins. I do think it's fair to make a value-judgement, however, once you know whether a singer is their own dog, or someone else's.

As ad is day
As ad are day
As ad our days
As ad their day
As aving his day
As av ad their day
As av is aving a day

Well, i'm pretty sure Morrissey is a product of his mother and father having f***ed but i'm sure a few people would deny even that!

No, WRONG! :ha-no:

WRONG! :barf:

WRONG! :crazy:

Music is not the greatest art form on the planet.

The greatest art form on the planet is LOL cats. Deal with it! :thumb:

I first got into the Smiths in 1987 (I was 14) when Strangeways came out.

Over that 22 year period (!!!) the last Morrissey album was the first time that I didn't buy the latest record that he's put out.

So, yeah, to me, Morrissey has had his day.

Poor songs, poor production, poor lyrics, poor live performances, 'ol Moz is phoning it in these days. You get the impression that Morrissey is no longer in music for the music, more for the attention and adulation from a fan base that is often over loyal.

Unless he's prepared to ditch his now tired indie rock formula of ever diminishing returns then you fear irrelevance may not be far away.

You get the impression that Morrissey is no longer in music for the music, more for the attention and adulation from a fan base that is often over loyal.

Who are we to say what he should and shouldn't be in music for? He didn't ask us to like him. Just sayin' :blushing:

I first got into the Smiths in 1987 (I was 14) when Strangeways came out.

Over that 22 year period (!!!) the last Morrissey album was the first time that I didn't buy the latest record that he's put out.

So, yeah, to me, Morrissey has had his day.

Poor songs, poor production, poor lyrics, poor live performances, 'ol Moz is phoning it in these days. You get the impression that Morrissey is no longer in music for the music, more for the attention and adulation from a fan base that is often over loyal.

Unless he's prepared to ditch his now tired indie rock formula of ever diminishing returns then you fear irrelevance may not be far away.

I agree that his current sound is a bit played out (I like YOR, but I don't think he can really take this formula any further).

However, the Bowery Ballroom show that he played just four short months ago was nothing short of magnificent. He totally rocked a mediocre set list and left the audience reeling. I can't imagine what he could have done with a better selection of songs.

This attitude f***ing sickens me.

So you think that you are one of the "right people" because you don't go to see Kanye West or Girls Aloud? You think that "little girls" couldn't possibly ever be truly inspired by hearing Morrissey's music? How about little boys, would they get Morrissey? Or are you sexist as well as ignorant? Did you discover Morrissey's music at the correct age?

Some people like different stuff to you and discover art in different ways ok? If everyone in the world liked the same shit it'd be dull - much less to drive you, nothing to react against and no minds to change.
I myself have been a Morrissey fan for many many years now. I also feel that Kanye West has made some great records as well and, if it wasn't for the fact that I was out of town I would've gone to see his show in London on Saturday. I am a music fan and can appreciate great music made by people who believe in what they do. I went to see Blur recently and the crowd was made up of a real cross section - people around my age (late 20s) who were in their teens when Blur first hit, youngsters that can't have been more than 10 when their last album came out and old school music fans who know that great music pretty much always wins out over genres and barriers.

If it's so great that Morrissey doesn't appeal to these people then maybe you should tell him, that way perhaps he'd stop throwing hissy fits when his records don't hit the top of the charts.

READ what i actually said you plonker!!! I never said i was one of the RIGHT people, i was not as all being SEXIST and at no point did i SLAG off other ARTISTS or their FANS!! All i said was that Morrissey appeals to the right audience for his music, Morrissey never will be a massive artists in terms of album sales or selling out arena's, but for his fans he is a massive part of their lives, so therefor he is still appealing to the RIGHT PEOPLE.
SO next time you decide to slag my post off, actually f***ING READ IT, PRICK!

hmmm

READ what i actually said you plonker!!! I never said i was one of the RIGHT people, i was not as all being SEXIST and at no point did i SLAG off other ARTISTS or their FANS!! All i said was that Morrissey appeals to the right audience for his music, Morrissey never will be a massive artists in terms of album sales or selling out arena's, but for his fans he is a massive part of their lives, so therefor he is still appealing to the RIGHT PEOPLE.
SO next time you decide to slag my post off, actually f***ING READ IT, PRICK!

spinlessswine didn't swear at you.

You can make a post without swearing at a fellow forum users.

Re: hmmm

spinlessswine didn't swear at you.

You can make a post without swearing at a fellow forum users.

Oh get lost Kewpie your like a mini Hitler, you get on my nerves the way you but in sometimes, i'll do what i like its a free world

Re: hmmm

also Kewpie, you must have a small memory or "if its kewpie its okay to swear" BECAUSE today on the Morrissey Sex songs thread you swore, when NO one had sworn at you and then you replied by saying, i can swear if i want, so.......f*** OFF!!!!

Back
Top Bottom