Morrissey in Brazilian press

Re: So Morrissey always loved Reggae after all

another interview emerged -from another newspaper
thanks to julie and meg

http://www.divirta-se.uai.com.br/ht...sessao=19&id_noticia=49957/ficha_musica.shtml

- You've said several times you did not expect to live long enough to re-record a record. It is a great paradox of not having a contract, as it has a very strong fan base. As a composer, don't you feel like writing again, because there are options that are independent of a label?

M: ''I wrote two albums that will not be released by any label. I have 17 years. Nobody knows what to do with me. Yes, I've a huge fan base in many, many countries. But that seems to make no difference to the record companies. Of course, I'm a big challenge. Perhaps it was always like that, huh? Yes, I'm sad for failing to introduce new songs. However, I do not want to join an obscure indie label that does not have a strong structure of disclosure, because it will give the media another reason to ignore me. I want to be the in the main place, along with everyone.''

- You've always been a fierce critic of politics in your songs. We live in an era of economic and political crisis. How do you see the world today?

M: ''I do not think that nowadays one has illusions about politicians, prime ministers and presidents. All of them have outdated ideas and, once elected, do absolutely nothing for the people who elected them. Democracy is an illusion and this was evident in the United States Occupy protests, the police immediately suppressed with violence. In England, the royal family is a dictatorship and you can not go against, unless it is out of sight of them. I strongly believe in the power of the people, and everything that happened in the Middle East is a great incentive. All world leaders, without exception, are dictators, and they will never give up power without hurting their own people. Politicians are pure ego and power, and absolutely nothing. And that's why people all over the world, lost faith in them. If you look at the Republican candidates for the next U.S. presidential election will be simply impossible not to laugh. They are the best that America can produce? Obama does not deserve a second term, but will succeed because the Republicans seem like residents of a hospice. This is not the way the world should be treated. Genuinely good people do not enter into politics. ''

- For a time it was believed that you were the author of the blog Morrissey's World, which you denied. What about everyone having an opinion about everything these days and post on social networks?

M: ''I am not the author of Morrissey's World, which is dangerous and has caused me problems. The Internet means that anyone becomes a critic and, in general, the thrust of some is hurt and destroy because they can do it in the safety of their rooms with Star Wars in little, friendly Iowa. On the other hand, internet is the power of the people, and that's good because it makes the music critics useless. People are thinking for themselves, which means the death of innocence. Newspapers try to tell you what is happening, but now people see how the Middle East can make their own reports on their phones and laptops. The Syrian government, for example, can no longer hide the truth out. It makes you think about all the injustices of the past and how we were always at the mercy of the controlled press. ''

- You are a great campaigner for vegetarianism and animal rights. Do you think that we evolved in this regard in the last 30 years?

M: ''The abuse of animals is now discussed everywhere. The restaurants have vegetarian options just because the owners have concluded that most customers would go away if vegans could not eat. Interestingly, the death industry - meat - is struggling very strongly. This is because they know they are losing. My belief is simple: thou shalt not kill. I also think you can judge a person by how they treat animals. Generally, people who are cruel to animals too are human beings and the planet itself. The most important issue is that people are now seriously thinking about food. Consequently, there is a general understanding that networks such as KFC and McDonald's are not only bad for the animals, but also for the people and the environment. The meat industry is called a disaster for the environment, but world leaders have not made restrictions because of the amount of money that the killing of animals generates. ''

I never thought it could happen to me - that I would agree with everything Morrissey said in an interview. I always enjoyed the witticisms ,etc., but he's actually demonstrating a consistent, coherent perspective throughout the whole piece. Or does that have more to do with the interviewer than the interviewee ? Thanks again, sistasheila, for the post.

No, hang on, the fatalism about the absolute, definitive absence of good people in politics is a sentiment I find both overstated and counter-productive. However, he's doing very well for someone who left school at fifteen. How many people do you know who have educated themselves to the extent that he seems to have ?

thanks not to me neccessarly ..but to me julie and meg..i was just supplying it to here.

I think it was not polite of Morrissey doesn't meet the journalist.

An interview via E-mail is so so so boring.

Very interesting interview. Many references to God. He seem to have reconcile himself with David Bowie. He would like to sing with Bowie and with Tom Jones!. He does not like any version of The Smiths songs...¡except How soon is now by Tatu!

Here is the complete interview translated (excuse me for any mistake)

Q: This is your first time in Colombia. You have a great range of songs ranging from your years in The Smiths to your recent solo albums. How do you select the repertoire for an audience that has been waiting for you in all these years?

A: Quite simply, singing the songs that I like. If I let go by the dictatorship of the audience, then it would be a travel agent.

Q: Literary influences are well known in your work. British classical poets are cited in your first stage. Today, do you think you still have those influences? If so, what are the authors you read the most today?

A: There are no modern poets. Poetry published in Britain is a joke. John Betjeman was our last great poet. He was magnificent. I think that poetry, in any case, is a personal taste. For too long, pop singers took references from poetry. But that is dead. If you can find something in the current pop, inspiring, you are either crazy or very lucky.

Q: You grew up as part of the vinyl era, and later you saw a growth of the - independent - alternative movement and you have been critical to the major record labels. How do you consider yourself now, as a character within the music industry?

A: I am not given attention in England; although I have a solid base in the United States, media do not look at me. This is because I do not sing about supermodels or women in cars. Thus, I am ignored. No one knows what to do with me. There has been no time when this has been different, even if my audience is growing considerably.
Historically, I have a unique and fantastic position. I have never been offered a British music award (Brit Award) and this proves that I am important.

Q: Several artists have recorded versions of The Smiths or Morrissey. Have you had a chance to hear some? What is your opinion about them?

A: Of my solo songs, there are versions of Nancy Sinatra, David Bowie, Chrissie Hynde, Marianne Faithful and Thelma Houston. I kneel down every day and thank God, because it goes beyond my dreams. David Bowie took me one night to his studio in New York and played a version of one of my songs. I cried for a week. Of anything for what I have prayed in my life, I never imagined that I would be given so much.

Of the songs of The Smiths, I'm surprised that there has not been a great version. I loved the version that made the Russian group Tatu, of How soon is now? I thought it would be a great success, but it was a failure!

When someone does a cover of The Smiths or Morrissey, I fully appreciate this with tears of happiness. It is the last great respect.

Q: A few years ago, you were the curator of the Meltdown festival. If you have the opportunity to do it again or be the curator of another festival by these days, what groups or artists would you choose?

A: It would be very difficult at present. I would be very grateful to God if I had the first options initially.

I love with my heart Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Buffy Sainte-Marie, David Bowie; they are persons I am very indebted with. With no doubt, my beloved New York Dolls and Sparks were available for the Meltdown festival in 2004; Sacha Distel also agreed, but his health failed and a few weeks later, he died.

I also like Tom Jones, I would like to sing with him. I asked Brigitte Bardot if she could sing in Meltdown, but she said she could not.

No current bands interest me. None of them tells me something new.

Q: As a music fan, do you still buy albums? Do you like to see new bands?

A: I feel I could buy CDs and vinyl for the rest of my life. But the industry says no.

I do not want to download. I want to hold a disc in my hands and feel the importance of it remaining as a physical piece of art. The record labels are going to realize this soon and will adjust.

There is much in the virtual world without having to refer to seize records. Otherwise, we can all go to bed and stayed there until die.

Q: Are you interested in acting or being in the film industry? Or do you want to stay in the music industry?

A: I haven’t got offers to do anything. I've been watching the British actor Carl Rice in a program called Shameless and I do envy the way...¿?
Surely, I can act better than George Clooney, but who is not able to do better than him?

Q: Years ago, you recorded songs with Siouxsie Sioux and Chryssie Hynde (The Pretenders). Would you like to do that again and with whom?

A: I would like to sing If “I Can Dream” with Tom Jones or “You've Lost That Lovin 'Feelin'” with David Bowie. People do not usually come to me to ask me this, because they think I'm a little crazy. In fact, I'm not, they can ask to my psychiatrist.

Many thanks for posting these - the idea of Morrissey duetting with Tom Jones is bonkers! I can't believe Jones would like Morrissey at all.
Interesting to hear him say he's got 17 years of singing left (i.e. to age 70). I think it's the first time he's mentioned wanting to continue singing for the (reasonably) long term.
There's another recent interview where Morrissey says he actually loves reggae which is pretty surprising.
He still doesn't like rap - guess he won't be pestering Boz for a free copy of the new Happy Martyr album then...

Many thanks for posting these - the idea of Morrissey duetting with Tom Jones is bonkers! I can't believe Jones would like Morrissey at all.
Interesting to hear him say he's got 17 years of singing left (i.e. to age 70). I think it's the first time he's mentioned wanting to continue singing for the (reasonably) long term.
There's another recent interview where Morrissey says he actually loves reggae which is pretty surprising.
He still doesn't like rap - guess he won't be pestering Boz for a free copy of the new Happy Martyr album then...

Especially from the man who said he couldn't imagine himself singing long past 50. I don't think his career will last another 17 years - it will be lucky to last five - but I can't see him ever giving up singing live. The man needs audience attention like he needs oxygen. He absolutely thrives on it.

I'm having images of Morrissey and our Tom singing the Green Green Grass Of Home. and those rumours of racism starting again!

Tom Jones is a great singer btw

These interviews cheer me up immensely. : )

I likes me some Morrissey.

Yeah, I was surprised no one else commented on this.
It's not just a mistranslation, is it?
The translation is correct. So far everyone knew he has material for a new album (including Action..., People..., The Kid's a Looker, Scandinavia); now he says he has enough songs for two albums, only that noone is interested in releasing them. But I believe that eventually he will find the right label; after all, it's not the first time when he's without a record contract.

A fresh one:
http://musica.terra.com.br/terra-li...esso+por+assuntos+que+envolvem+os+Smiths.html
"I'm not interested in matters which involve the Smiths, I am only preoccupied about the future."
With two albums ready, the singer, who is considered one of the pioneers of alternative rock, laments being without a label. "Although I have fans in many countries, this seems not to matter for the record companies. I feel sad for not being able to release new music," he said. He also says he has no interest in going to an independent label. "I do not want to go to an obscure independent label, because this is going to give the media even more reasons to ignore me."

Last edited:

So we have two sources saying two albums are written. Essentially he had two albums written by the time Quarry was eventually put out, the second album just became relegated to extra tracks for singles. The "Deluxe" Quarry. The difference being he had just under seven years or so to write all those songs, as opposed to now, having just under 3 years since the last disc. He must really be trying to wrap things up and do as much of what he loves as possible before officially calling it quits. I wonder who he's expecting to receive an offer from if not an obscure independent label?

Honestly, if he delivered a truly decent, final album on Boz's record label, would anyone think less of him because of it? Surely the man himself believes these two albums to be good enough, the label doesn't really matter as long as he's got a good distro to get them in stores. If the albums are good, no one is going to give a shit what label they're on.

Last edited:

So we have two sources saying two albums are written. Essentially he had two albums written by the time Quarry was eventually put out, the second album just became relegated to extra tracks for singles. The "Deluxe" Quarry. The difference being he had just under seven years or so to write all those songs, as opposed to now, having just under 3 years since the last disc. He must really be trying to wrap things up and do as much of what he loves as possible before officially calling it quits. I wonder who he's expecting to receive an offer from if not an obscure independent label?

Honestly, if he delivered a truly decent, final album on Boz's record label, would anyone think less of him because of it? Surely the man himself believes these two albums to be good enough, the label doesn't really matter as long as he's got a good distro to get them in stores. If the albums are good, no one is going to give a shit what label they're on.

You're right , mcrickson. Why does he have such a bee in his bonnet regarding label support ? It isn't as though a major is pumping money into his current tour ,just as it wasn't supposedly in 2002.

I know this sounds brazen but I understand from reading on here that you have your own band. Is there any chance that you ( who must have a better understanding of these things)
can explain/clarify what a major label signing might accomplish for Morrissey that a decent distribution deal wouldn't ( apart from cash up front ) ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom