Mike Joyce on BBC Breakfast Monday morning

A

Anonymous

Mike Joyce is on BBC Breakfast Monday morning.
Tune in.

JJ

Why can't these assholes all just get along ffs

Have you seen 'inside the Smiths'? That is not a man who is smart at all. It is a desperate plea to get Morrissey to reform and give him a platform to be known again, rather than DJing at shite club nights. It was pretty embarrassing stuff. He's now a DJ on Beat wolf radio I see. Hmmmmmm.

No, admittedly, I haven't seen 'Inside The Smiths'. Have you seen 'These Things Take Time'? In it, Mike Joyce is asked about the possibility of a reunion. He says, "I'm not too sure whether I'd want to be on stage with The Smiths, now," and generally pours scorn on the very idea. He didn't seem interested.

Anyway, the fact is that, like so many other people on this site, you're only critical of Joyce because Morrissey doesn't like him. If it was announced, tomorrow, that The Smiths were to reform, including the four original members, you'd be delighted and all your faux rancour would be forgotten. It's truly pathetic. Grow up and form an opinion of your own.

No, admittedly, I haven't seen 'Inside The Smiths'. Have you seen 'These Things Take Time'? In it, Mike Joyce is asked about the possibility of a reunion. He says, "I'm not too sure whether I'd want to be on stage with The Smiths, now," and generally pours scorn on the very idea. He didn't seem interested.

Anyway, the fact is that, like so many other people on this site, you're only critical of Joyce because Morrissey doesn't like him. If it was announced, tomorrow, that The Smiths were to reform, including the four original members, you'd be delighted and all your faux rancour would be forgotten. It's truly pathetic. Grow up and form an opinion of your own.

Ha! Good attempt at framing my views for me but it wont work with me I'm afraid. I am critical of Joyce for many reasons - none which were purported by Morrissey. Firstly, the 'film' in which he makes his desperate plea served only to make The Smiths look bad. It was a grown man desperate for Morrissey to agree to work with him again so that his genius can elevate Joyce for a second time and make him some money. Secondly, Joyce's insistence on responding to Smiths reunion rumours on his shit pot radio shows when he will have zero say in the matter is annoying. The guy is a complete moron.

You also mention me putting aside my anger if all 4 reform. Well, setting aside the folly of the idea that Morrissey would ever get on a stage with the guy, I would be truly gutted if the unthinkable did actually happen. I DO NOT want a Smiths reformation and the idea sickens me.

Grow up and stop making sweeping generalisations about how others feel. not everybody holds generic opinions like yourself.

Ha! Good attempt at framing my views for me but it wont work with me I'm afraid. I am critical of Joyce for many reasons - none which were purported by Morrissey. Firstly, the 'film' in which he makes his desperate plea served only to make The Smiths look bad. It was a grown man desperate for Morrissey to agree to work with him again so that his genius can elevate Joyce for a second time and make him some money. Secondly, Joyce's insistence on responding to Smiths reunion rumours on his shit pot radio shows when he will have zero say in the matter is annoying. The guy is a complete moron.

You also mention me putting aside my anger if all 4 reform. Well, setting aside the folly of the idea that Morrissey would ever get on a stage with the guy, I would be truly gutted if the unthinkable did actually happen. I DO NOT want a Smiths reformation and the idea sickens me.

Grow up and stop making sweeping generalisations about how others feel. not everybody holds generic opinions like yourself.

Yeah, yeah, you hate Mike Joyce because he's just in it for the money and clamouring for fame. Morrissey - the money-hungry, attention-whore - would never stoop so low. Like I say, you don't have to be seen to agree with everything Morrissey says just to enjoy his music. Otherwise you ust end up looking like a moron.

I see Joyce's hard-working manager is using his ample free time to stir up trouble again at Solow...

Yeah, yeah, you hate Mike Joyce because he's just in it for the money and clamouring for fame. Morrissey - the money-hungry, attention-whore - would never stoop so low. Like I say, you don't have to be seen to agree with everything Morrissey says just to enjoy his music. Otherwise you ust end up looking like a moron.

Lol

Mind, I'm just as bad, none of The Smiths can do anything wrong in my eyes.

I do not agree with everything Morrissey says. It seems you aren't prepared to listen to me and engage in debate. You have made your mind up - anyone who hates mike Joyce is simply following Morrissey's lead. Whatever. Watch said film and you'll see what I mean. The guy's a prick. Constantly on the radio like the spokesman for The Smiths when the reality is if there were to be a reformation, he would be the last person to know.

Your accusation that I follow Morrissey's lead is extremely hollow to me but you seem set on it. Nevermind eh...

No let-up -

Former The Smiths rocker Mike Joyce is preparing to fire a shot at singer Morrissey by penning an explosive tell-all book revealing the full story of the band.

Drummer Joyce had a huge falling out with Morrissey and guitarist Johnny Marr when he sued the songwriters in the 1990s for an increased share of the group's earnings.

He won the case and was awarded $1.6 million in back pay but the legal battle infuriated Morrissey, who has engaged in a public war-of-words with his former bandmate ever since.

The Suedehead singer is due to release his memoirs later this year - and Joyce has now sensationally revealed he is preparing to publish his own side of the story once he's read Morrissey's account.

He tells Record Collector magazine, "Someone's approached me to do a book, and I'm quite interested. I've heard Morrissey's bringing a book out, so I'll hang fire and see what we get out of that, and that might accelerate my side of things. Who knows?"
http://www.lfpress.com/entertainment/music/2012/05/03/19711926-wenn-story.html

Before the question of percentages ever became an issue, while The Smiths made music and toured together, did Mike Joyce get on with Morrissey as well as the others did? I feel they did respect each other then. Mike sure could march to the beat of his own drum with the best of them. Pity he doesn't now....

No let-up -

http://www.lfpress.com/entertainment/music/2012/05/03/19711926-wenn-story.html

Before the question of percentages ever became an issue, while The Smiths made music and toured together, did Mike Joyce get on with Morrissey as well as the others did? I feel they did respect each other then. Mike sure could march to the beat of his own drum with the best of them. Pity he doesn't now....

I don't think they ever really got on - Johnny was the only person in the band that Morrissey was close to and he made it very obvious from the start. I remember Mike saying he felt daunted by Morrissey's social group because he was friends with "the readers and the heavy thinkers" etc. Here's an excerpt:

Q: Looking from the outside it really did seem like you, Andy and Johnny and then Morrissey completely separate. Was it really as clear cut and defined as that?
A: Yeah, well I think Johnny was kind of a mediator and obviously a close confident of Morrissey's, he was the only one that Morrissey had really within the group. Johnny would have meetings and discuss the direction and aspects of the band with Morrissey and we'd discuss our own side of it.

We had a relationship where we didn't socialize a lot, but that was fine. Just because he wasn't jumping around with his foot on the monitor screaming let's go out and get p*ssed. If the guy has his own way of conducting himself on a social level then that's the way it is - i'm not going to be like come on'

Q: Throughout the years Morrissey had close friends that he confided in. Did he ever allow the band to get close to them or was it totally separate?
A: It wasn't a matter of being allowed. It was more a matter of we didn't want to get particularly close to his close friends. He took that relationship with those people very seriously and very privately. It was a different mindset, obviously I can only speak for myself here and not Andy and Johnny, but the people he did hang around with seemed to me the intelligentsia, the readers and the heavy thinkers. And I felt as though I didn't want to go into that scene because I thought they'd go "here we are - thicko drummer", I really did think that.

I had a set of friends that I had even before I joined the Smiths and I kept onto those people. They weren't discarded at the first sign of success and I still have a lot of those friends now. I think a lot of Morrissey's friend did think I was the thicko drummer that just partied and a kind of Mr Sid The Sexist.

And the rest of the interview:
http://designermagazine.tripod.com/MikeJoyceINT1.html

Oh right, i don't. I thought Rourke seemed humble and nice but Joyce was awful.
I disagree. Mike Joyce came across well in 'inside the smiths'. Mike Joyce keeps it real, he is intelligent and very nice.
Andy Rourke looked half stoned throughout it and seemed to be putting on a false, rock star image, his attitude was I don't care I'm too cool for this, he seemed to be a bit of a prick and he didn't say much.

Is BBC Breakfast on the radio?

I spent a few hours with Mike and Andy once - regardless of the court case I always thought Mike would be a nice guy... Wrong, he was a total cock where as Andy was very charming.

I spent a few hours with Mike and Andy once - regardless of the court case I always thought Mike would be a nice guy... Wrong, he was a total cock where as Andy was very charming.
I've met both Mike and Andy as well. Mike Joyce was really nice to me, he was warm and friendly. Mike Joyce is NOT a cock.
Where as Andy Rourke was cold and distant. I'm sorry to say this but I don't like Andy Rourke.

Q: Throughout the years Morrissey had close friends that he confided in. Did he ever allow the band to get close to them or was it totally separate?
A: It wasn't a matter of being allowed. It was more a matter of we didn't want to get particularly close to his close friends. He took that relationship with those people very seriously and very privately. It was a different mindset, obviously I can only speak for myself here and not Andy and Johnny, but the people he did hang around with seemed to me the intelligentsia, the readers and the heavy thinkers. And I felt as though I didn't want to go into that scene because I thought they'd go "here we are - thicko drummer", I really did think that.

I had a set of friends that I had even before I joined the Smiths and I kept onto those people. They weren't discarded at the first sign of success and I still have a lot of those friends now. I think a lot of Morrissey's friend did think I was the thicko drummer that just partied and a kind of Mr Sid The Sexist

That's quite sad actually. Moving and personal words from Mr Joyce.
Don't worry Joycey, you sued the sod and got your money back anyway. who needs a whiney veggie as a mate, eh?

Back
Top Bottom