Mercury Music Award 2008 Shortlist.

CharlieFairhead

Loweringthetonesince1974
Adele - 19
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Burial - Untrue
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Estelle - Shine
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
Neon Neon - Stainless Style
Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep in the North Sea
Rachel Unthank & The Winterset - The Bairns
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement

I have 5 of the above, BSP, Elbow, Neon Neon, Radiohead and Laura Marling....what about yourshelves?
x

Adele - 19
Burial - Untrue
Estelle - Shine
Radiohead - In Rainbows

I have 5 of the above, BSP, Elbow, Neon Neon, Radiohead and Laura Marling....what about yourshelves?
x

Hang on..... we are only just half way through 2008:confused:

Jukebox Jury
(in answer to your question, I have none!)

It's albums released between July 07 and July 08 that qualify as far as i know.
I'm not much of a fan of these award type things but it's one of the better ones i'd say, most/nearly all of the bands play live which is always good.
Are there any albums included there that you'd want or yer just not arsed?
Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' i've not listened to a great deal, British Sea Power i love the most i'd say.

Hang on..... we are only just half way through 2008:confused:

Jukebox Jury
(in answer to your question, I have none!)

British Sea Power! British Sea Power! British Sea Power!
To propel them to the next level. Such a crying shame if not as they're well deserved to get more exposure than they've had.

Of course now that I see that list a little closer, I fear that as much as I love the Shadow Puppets, it could possibly win on the strength of Alex Turner alone (some might complain), even though I think it's a great record.

Except for In Rainbows, (and obviously the 2 above), I haven't heard any of the other stuff. How worthy is the other stuff Charlie?

Adele - 19
Burial - Untrue
Estelle - Shine
Radiohead - In Rainbows

x

i have those and by a million miles it should go to British Sea power.

remember ...morrissey himself was seen tapping his toes to british sea power during 'later with jools...' in february!
i particulary like 'michael douglas' sunglasses' by neon neon at the mo'

The Last Shadow Puppets will win :rolleyes:

I've heard their album, not my cuppa. I've also got Radiohead (a couple of great tracks, but the album as a whole is not great) and British Sea Power (listened to it only once, I'm afraid).
Thank god Coldplay are not in the list.

Is there a Mercury rule that states every single album by Radiohead, or their humourless singer, no matter how dreary, totally unappealing and joyless, must receive a nomination?
Dear lord!

Is there a Mercury rule that states every single album by Radiohead, or their humourless singer, no matter how dreary, totally unappealing and joyless, must receive a nomination?
Dear lord!

Yeah, even Thom's awful solo album got a nomination, if I'm not mistaken.

For me Burial -Untrue is an exceptional album.

The genre is 'dub garage' if you want to pigeon hole the album. It's like an urban soundscape for the philip k.dick lurking in all of us capital city dwelling folks. At times haunting, ethereal beautiful....

The Elbow album is really great, just like all there others really and he's a cracking lyricist.
I love Laura Marling, beautiful voice, she's only 18 and her songwriting is far beyond her years. It's not an album for anthems i might add, could be a bit folk-ish for some tastes.
Neon Neon are great but i'm a big Super Furries fan anyway, well it's just Gruff and hip hop producer Boom Bip doing a concept album based on John DeLorean - creative genius behind the DeLorean DMC-12 car seen in Back to the Future and playboy whealer-dealer. There's definately an 80' synth influence all over but done very well.

British Sea Power! British Sea Power! British Sea Power!
To propel them to the next level. Such a crying shame if not as they're well deserved to get more exposure than they've had.

Of course now that I see that list a little closer, I fear that as much as I love the Shadow Puppets, it could possibly win on the strength of Alex Turner alone (some might complain), even though I think it's a great record.

Except for In Rainbows, (and obviously the 2 above), I haven't heard any of the other stuff. How worthy is the other stuff Charlie?

That's not a bad list. I hope The Last Shadow Puppets win. That is a really strong album, beautifully orchestrated and a real grand slam for popular music. I play it to death!

Adele - 19 ??
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music? :)
Burial - Untrue ??
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid :)
Estelle - Shine ??
Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim ??
Neon Neon - Stainless Style ??
Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep in the North Sea ??
Rachel Unthank & The Winterset - The Bairns ??
Radiohead - In Rainbows :confused:
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand :)
The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement :)

i REALLY love everything Radiohead do, for a band as big as them to be constantly pushing the boundaries surely deserves our respect. (I'll get me coat):)

In Rainbows is one of the better albums in this list...the other stuff sounds terrible in my ears.
Thom Yorke's voice in "15 step" & "Reckoner" is marvelous...I'd heard Radiohead live at the Roskildefestival a couple of weeks ago - And the band produce only good music.

Dear lord!

f*** off

i REALLY love everything Radiohead do, for a band as big as them to be constantly pushing the boundaries surely deserves our respect. (I'll get me coat):)

In Rainbows is one of the better albums in this list...the other stuff sounds terrible in my ears.
Thom Yorke's voice in "15 step" & "Reckoner" is marvelous...I'd heard Radiohead live at the Roskildefestival a couple of weeks ago - And the band produce only good music.

:):):):):)

Back
Top Bottom