Johnny Marr tweets response to Smiths reunion rumours

Link via @ordinaryboy86:

Johnny Marr scotches Smiths reunion rumours: 'Nigel Farage on guitar'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...smiths-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage-on-guitar

Johnny Marr responds to Smiths reunion rumours with swipe at Morrissey's political stance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-morrissey-nigel-farage-guitar-a9189001.html

"Nigel Farage on guitar": Johnny Marr responds to The Smiths reunion rumours

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/the-smiths/johnny-marr-responds-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage/

Johnny Marr has quashed rumours The Smiths are set to reunite

http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/1...quashed-rumours-The-Smiths-are-set-to-reunite

Johnny Marr commnets on rumours of The Smiths reunion with right-wing Morrissey jibe

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-reunion-morrissey-johnny-marr/

Johnny Marr Shoots Down Rumors of a Smiths Reunion with Morrissey

http://floodmagazine.com/71141/johnny-marr-shoots-down-rumors-of-a-smiths-reunion-with-morrissey/

Johnny Marr breaks silence on Smiths reunion rumours with Nigel Farage jibe

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-breaks-silence-smiths-17216239.amp

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Time will tell.

Eric Clapton made much worse racist comments during a live gig in the late 70’s; Bowie made nazi salutes & made favourable comments about fascism.

Their music is what people remember.

Mr Trump ... Bowie gave no Nazi salute. The photo in question caught him mid-wave This guff was debunked quite some time ago.

Strange that you should defend Morrissey by alluding to misrepresentation of fact.

Secondly, if it were true that Bowie gave a Nazi salute (whuch he did not) you are adding fuel to the Morrissey far-right fire. Had you but thought for the merest of seconds you could have avoided looking so foolish.

Tosh. Johnny is, and has been, an inspiration to so many guitarists and musicians. He was the sound of The Smiths; without him there would be no Morrissey as we know him.

Granted, a singer in a band does garner more of the media spotlight and Morrissey was, and is, no exception. Unfortunately, the spotlight is rarely on the music. This is for two reasons ... 1. recent offerings have been very hit and miss and 2. his jaundiced political statements.

The Smiths will always be referred to in terms of Marr/Morrissey. That's as it should be in terms of song writing credits but Joyce and Rourke are also significant players in the sound of The Smiths.

I think - with slight adjustment - you are correct on this ... Morrissey will be remembered as a tormenting, racist singer. The Smiths will be remembered as a band that in its time had a decent following, but following it's demise, became one of the most influential bands of the 20th century.

Marr isn't remotely interesting enough to be remembered by anyone who wasn't a teenager in 1983 or a music expert. The jangle isn't as famous as the morose lyrics & if Marr has written any hit songs since The Smiths they've already been forgotten. The Smiths are nothing without Morrissey, no matter what happens to Morrissey's reputation.

Mr Trump ... Bowie gave no Nazi salute. The photo in question caught him mid-wave This guff was debunked quite some time ago.

Strange that you should defend Morrissey by alluding to misrepresentation of fact.

Secondly, if it were true that Bowie gave a Nazi salute (whuch he did not) you are adding fuel to the Morrissey far-right fire. Had you but thought for the merest of seconds you could have avoided looking so foolish.

All he or she meant was that stars often do or are believed to have done terrible things but it's their work that matters the most.

Trill, maybe you could explain why you think everything I put on this thread is trolling?

If Morrissey does go down in showbiz history as an evil, racist who everyone hated, why & how do you think Marr's reputation will transcend that? Why would future generations discuss the guitar player when they've got a fascist singer/lyricist upfront?

Trill, maybe you could explain why you think everything I put on this thread is trolling?

If Morrissey does go down in showbiz history as an evil, racist who everyone hated, why & how do you think Marr's reputation will transcend that? Why would future generations discuss the guitar player when they've got a fascist singer/lyricist upfront?
Like Skinny he is too cowardly to ever explain himself. He will just troll-vote everything that conflicts with his own small-minded world view. There is a word for that, but let's not get into that :)

Because neither the guitar player, drummer or bass player were racist and should not be tarnished by association with the singers singular, personal views.

All he or she meant was that stars often do or are believed to have done terrible things but it's their work that matters the most.

Thanks for clarifying what someone else meant. There's a lot of that about in here.

Like Skinny he is too cowardly to ever explain himself. He will just troll-vote everything that conflicts with his own small-minded world view. There is a word for that, but let's not get into that :)

It's so alien to me. I love a debate & would never bother having an opinion I wouldn't at least try to defend to the bitter end.

Thanks for clarifying what someone else meant. There's a lot of that about in here.

They were saying it to me, so if there wasn't a possibility that I understood it, there's not much point in anyone replying to anyone.

Marr isn't remotely interesting enough to be remembered by anyone who wasn't a teenager in 1983 or a music expert. The jangle isn't as famous as the morose lyrics & if Marr has written any hit songs since The Smiths they've already been forgotten. The Smiths are nothing without Morrissey, no matter what happens to Morrissey's reputation.

Deary me. "The jangle isn't as famous ..." yet, it's famous enough for you to know about it and mention it without having to explain what you meant!? It spawned a whole new wave of music in the mid to late 80s. It also spawned whole new movements in the mid 90s and 2000s. Nah. Nobody remembers jangle.

Morrissey is nothing without The Smiths. Has The Smiths not happened what would have become of Morrissey? Who do you have to thank for that? Step forward one Johnny Marr. The man remains an inspiration to musicians and guitarists worldwide to this day.

Because neither the guitar player, drummer or bass player were racist and should not be tarnished by association with the singers singular, personal views.

That's not how fame works. It's not a reward system for nice people who can play instruments. They're not personally tarnished, but they're not memorable in their own right. Good or evil, Morrissey is the star, it's his lyrics that gave The Smiths their unique identity & his reputation that The Smiths will be seen in the light of.

Mr. Tobias wades in... (to an audience of 867).

View attachment 53414 View attachment 53415
View attachment 53416

Not thinking twice about it,
FWD.

Despite Being Shot Down by Johnny Marr Those Smiths Reunion Rumours Might Have Been Somewhat True

https://www.post-punk.com/despite-b...on-rumours-might-have-been-somewhat-real/amp/
Wow. Bitchy, much? Coming from someone whose own musical skills are - being generous - workmanlike - I'd say he was on shaky ground.

That's not how fame works. It's not a reward system for nice people who can play instruments. They're not personally tarnished, but they're not memorable in their own right. Good or evil, Morrissey is the star, it's his lyrics that gave The Smiths their unique identity & his reputation that The Smiths will be seen in the light of.

I'm afraid you speak with conviction about matters you know little about. "That's how fame works". Fame works how you see it does it? Well, no. Fame is a fickle thing and is significantly more complex than your naivety. Morrissey did give The Smiths a unique identity with his looks and his lyrics - also how he sang. None of that would have occured without the music of Johnny Marr. Johnny Marr was the sound of the Smiths - he was the one in the studio perfecting the music and vocals with the producers. Yeah, nobody remembers the intro to How Soon Is Now. I mean nobody wants to hear it. Is that why Morrissey has played it live at just about every show since 2004!?

You also seem to fail to understand that some of the worlds most well know 'stars' who sing are also musicians. They write the songs they sing. To you that is unimportant. How would you describe Bowie? He wrote his songs, sung them and was also very much involved in the studio production. Do you just reduce him and those like him to singer?

Deary me. "The jangle isn't as famous ..." yet, it's famous enough for you to know about it and mention it without having to explain what you meant!? It spawned a whole new wave of music in the mid to late 80s. It also spawned whole new movements in the mid 90s and 2000s. Nah. Nobody remembers jangle.

Morrissey is nothing without The Smiths. Has The Smiths not happened what would have become of Morrissey? Who do you have to thank for that? Step forward one Johnny Marr. The man remains an inspiration to musicians and guitarists worldwide to this day.

It's not famous enough for me to know about it without having read up on the Manchester scene - it's like baggy or Madchester, you'll know if you look it up or lived through it, you won't get it from the general culture. Musicians will remember Marr, he won't have a wider fame than that.

I don't know if Morrissey would have made it out of his bedroom without Marr, but I know The Smiths wouldn't be as famous without him. That sunny sound would just disappear without those dark lyrics & that anguished yelping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if Morrissey would have made it out of his bedroom without Marr, but I know The Smiths wouldn't be as famous without him. That sunny sound would just disappear without those dark lyrics & that anguished yelping.

I agree, in general, with the above. The rest we remain at opposite poles.

Back
Top Bottom