Johnny Marr interview: ‘I had to defend myself against Morrissey’ - thetimes.co.uk

Johnny Marr interview - The Times

Johnny Marr tells his side.

Excerpt:

A month on the guitarist explains his decision to come out fighting. “When you’re attacked out of the blue, particularly in public, you have to defend yourself. The letter was designed to be insulting, wasn’t it? That has to have been the idea. If it’s something that’s not based in fact, you have to react in kind, which is just” — he curls his lip — “with ridicule.” Tellingly, he doesn’t use the M word.

full

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moz did not handle this issue with Mar correctly. He should have privately contacted Marr. Not through the media with. Ridiculous open letter full of rants!

Radio 6? Who listens to radio anymore? I respect Johnny as a musician....but when The Smiths broke up most realized it was Morrissey that was the essential element. Morrissey went many many years holding his tongue about Johnny...and now that the Estsblishment despises him, he has to watch Johnny get attention for swiping at him. Over here, the ONLY articles that pop up in feeds are about what he says about Morrissey.

So you're more of a Radio 2 person? Johnny's on their playlist and being interviewed on there today too.

I like both Johnny and Morrissey. If Moz is allowed to say whatever he wants about absolutely anything - it is only fair that Johnny is free to do the same. I think Moz's open letter showed a sensitivity that is understandable, especially given recent loss in his life, but unhelpful.
Johnny has clearly decided to put the boot in. His lack of regard for former friendship perhaps say something about him as a person. But Moz needs to smell the coffee. Johnny just doesn't have any regard for him anymore and is prepared to say so. Time for Moz to completely let go and move on. Johnny is aware that these comments are hurting Moz - so in that case he will just keep saying them. Ultimately this site is called Morrissey-solo and not Marr-solo, and that in itself speaks volumes about the cultural importance of each figure.

Ultimately this site is called Morrissey-solo and not Marr-solo, and that in itself speaks volumes about the cultural importance of each figure.

Considering all the posts about Marr, maybe the site name should be changed to Morrissey-Marr-Solo.

I like both Johnny and Morrissey. If Moz is allowed to say whatever he wants about absolutely anything - it is only fair that Johnny is free to do the same. I think Moz's open letter showed a sensitivity that is understandable, especially given recent loss in his life, but unhelpful.
Johnny has clearly decided to put the boot in. His lack of regard for former friendship perhaps say something about him as a person. But Moz needs to smell the coffee. Johnny just doesn't have any regard for him anymore and is prepared to say so. Time for Moz to completely let go and move on. Johnny is aware that these comments are hurting Moz - so in that case he will just keep saying them. Ultimately this site is called Morrissey-solo and not Marr-solo, and that in itself speaks volumes about the cultural importance of each figure.

OI
the Pep has no regard for someone he hasnt seen, but once, briefly, in 35 yrs:lbf:

Moz doesnt want the Pepe to have regard for him he wants the little twerp to mind his business and quit pretending they commiserate on a daily basis. psycho babble someone else FFS- someone who is an old timer, tatted with a wig botox and paint on eyebrows should
not be psycho babbling anyone in the first place, unless hes completely :crazy:
Moz is not hurt he is simply stating facts: LePepe doesnt not know me since we havent associated in almost 40 yrs whats wrong with him?

:hammer:

It's irritating that he says "You have to defend yourself..." because he didn't defend anything, didn't engage with it, just tried to make fun of it instead. Really truly childish.

It's irritating that he says "You have to defend yourself..." because he didn't defend anything, didn't engage with it, just tried to make fun of it instead. Really truly childish.

Yes I agree - Johnny has acted badly. No one getting over a family death deserves 'ridicule' to use Johnny's word. And I don't think Moz's letter was 'designed to be insulting'. Johnny is being as over-sensitive as Moz is.

Yes I agree - Johnny has acted badly. No one getting over a family death deserves 'ridicule' to use Johnny's word. And I don't think Moz's letter was 'designed to be insulting'. Johnny is being as over-sensitive as Moz is.

Use a weapon of words
Or a fight with your fists
but can you forgive someone?

And if you do, I'll run to you
Betray you with a word
I would slit my own throat first of all, I will

The black peat of the hills
When I was still ill
See this mess and forgive someone

Moz did not handle this issue with Mar correctly. He should have privately contacted Marr. Not through the media with. Ridiculous open letter full of rants!

and maybe we should add, that Marr should have replied back to Morrissey privately.

There are two sorts of people who visit this site now: those who hate Morrissey and slag him off, and those who hate Johnny Marr and slag him off. It's just one endles bitchfest going round in circles trying to score points and getting nowhere. At this point I'm not even sure anyone actually likes either artist, or has anything positive to say. :unsure:
Do not generalize I do not hate Johnny, I love Moz much more, but I am one of those who think that if you worship a band you can not hate its members, there are exceptions, but I do not hate Joyce, if I think he is a bad person for what he did. In this case Johnny is wrong if the bond with Moz was strong there are feelings that are not extinguished, and you do not pay someone who was so important in your life that way. But I don't get into the rivalry of teenagers Moz or J,that's silly.......It is the other way around I do not like that J and M are fighting I do not like anything I want unity whether or not Smithsonian meeting.!!! but the truth is that Johnny went to hell

and maybe we should add, that Marr should have replied back to Morrissey privately.
You must be joking. The world saw that open letter. Of course he’s got to reply to it in public and sure enough, everyone’s going to ask Johnny about it.

If the correct quote is "You have to defend yourself (FULL STOP)" and "He doesn't use the M word", then the headline is a misquote. "I had to defend myself against Morrissey". Sloppy/ irresponsible journalism!

No BUT Morrissey did work with KY, who bless her, only got where she is (where is she?) due to sleeping with an OAP, and an OAP who himself leaches off Bowie's corpse. like a cockroach.
Your imbecilic drivel isn't worth responding to. Consider accidentally taking too many Tylenol. And don't bother me again.

If the correct quote is "You have to defend yourself (FULL STOP)" and "He doesn't use the M word", then the headline is a misquote. "I had to defend myself against Morrissey". Sloppy/ irresponsible journalism!

The Times knew exactly what they were doing.

That was their point, and the point of Morrissey’s open letter.

It wouldn’t have been a clickbait worthy headline if Morrissey’s name
was absent.

This really is the whole issue.

You must be joking. The world saw that open letter. Of course he’s got to reply to it in public and sure enough, everyone’s going to ask Johnny about it.

got to?

Marr could have publicized that he will or has responded to Morrissey privately.

If Marr did this, it would of shown that he’s the better man.

But no.

The Times knew exactly what they were doing.

That was their point, and the point of Morrissey’s open letter.

It wouldn’t have been a clickbait worthy headline if Morrissey’s name
was absent.

This really is the whole issue.
Not really. Morrissey's letter was directed at Johnny Marr, not at irresponsible journalists and editors. They would be fair targets. Johnny didn't do anything to deserve Morrissey's letter.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom