Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Atheist/Agnostic

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • None

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just read this from Mary Ann Collins' autobiography:

That alone lets me know she's just another one of those "oh-Catholicism-is-too-hard" types . But thanks though.

You gathered that from one line?

What I read was:

"Personal Testimony
I was raised a secular humanist. When I went to college, I started investigating Catholicism. After two years of intense study, I became a Catholic.
I was zealous. I kept studying the lives of the saints and the teachings of various prominent Catholics. I often went to Mass several times a week, and sometimes every day. I transferred to a Catholic college in order to take classes in religion.
I entered the convent for several reasons. I wanted to be closer to God and to serve Him more wholeheartedly. I wanted to learn more about God and to spend my life being more intensely focused on Him. And I believed that God wanted me to be a nun.
The convent was not a healthy place, either spiritually or emotionally. Our self-imposed penances, and our other attempts to make ourselves more holy, actually encouraged self-righteousness. We were not allowed to have friendships, or to be close to any human being. We were supposed to be emotionally detached. We were taught to love people in a detached, impersonal way.
This is not Biblical. God said: "It is not good for man to be alone." He was referring to more than just marriage. The Bible encourages close relationships.
Our example of the perfect human being is Jesus. He was unmarried, but he was not at all emotionally detached. He wept publicly. His heart was "moved with compassion." He made many statements that showed strong emotions. He had special friends (Peter, James, and John) and a "best friend" (John).
I left the convent after two years, before making vows. I was still a novice, undergoing training and "spiritual formation" in preparation for making vows..."

She was in the convent for two years...that doesn't sound "oh-Catholicism-is-too-hard".

My opinion would be that you don't have the courage to read something that may prove that your belief system is wrong.

Take care.

You gathered that from one line?

What I read was:

"Personal Testimony
I was raised a secular humanist. When I went to college, I started investigating Catholicism. After two years of intense study, I became a Catholic.
I was zealous. I kept studying the lives of the saints and the teachings of various prominent Catholics. I often went to Mass several times a week, and sometimes every day. I transferred to a Catholic college in order to take classes in religion.
I entered the convent for several reasons. I wanted to be closer to God and to serve Him more wholeheartedly. I wanted to learn more about God and to spend my life being more intensely focused on Him. And I believed that God wanted me to be a nun.
The convent was not a healthy place, either spiritually or emotionally. Our self-imposed penances, and our other attempts to make ourselves more holy, actually encouraged self-righteousness. We were not allowed to have friendships, or to be close to any human being. We were supposed to be emotionally detached. We were taught to love people in a detached, impersonal way.
This is not Biblical. God said: "It is not good for man to be alone." He was referring to more than just marriage. The Bible encourages close relationships.
Our example of the perfect human being is Jesus. He was unmarried, but he was not at all emotionally detached. He wept publicly. His heart was "moved with compassion." He made many statements that showed strong emotions. He had special friends (Peter, James, and John) and a "best friend" (John).
I left the convent after two years, before making vows. I was still a novice, undergoing training and "spiritual formation" in preparation for making vows..."

She was in the convent for two years...that doesn't sound "oh-Catholicism-is-too-hard".

My opinion would be that you don't have the courage to read something that may prove that your belief system is wrong.

Take care.

I read the whole thing. That was just one example. And the only thing she and I probably agree on is not everyone is meant for the religious life. Just like not everyone is meant for marriage. But I'm not going to expect someone to say, "f*** marriage!" just cuz they got a divorce. Having experienced the religious life myself, I know where she's coming from.

And that's nothing. I've read and experienced so much stuff that would shake the faiths of other Catholics.

Stay well.

I didn't step foot inside a church until the old age of 13. It was very strange for me. At first I was annoyed because I didn't like being dragged to a place with grown ups. But now at 18, I am interested in it and other religions. I'd actually like to be religious. There's a common misconception that all religious people hate everything that's not in their "circle" but I embrace all walks of life.

There. I've tied the Protestants with the Catholics. :)

I grew up in a UCC (United Church of Christ) and belong to one now. It's liberal, progressive and cool :cool: a GREAT community of people. We've been Open & Affirming for 9 years now. Jesus didn't turn people away and neither do we. :)

Cozza, that's 13K posts! Wouldn't you rather have that in cash? ;) I would, too.

I was married in one of the Chicago-area UCCs and if I had to pick a church to attend, I'd probably choose a UCC congregation. They are a very good example of positive, affirming, respectful Christianity. I think Jesus would approve. :) I'd want the pastor that married us, but he moved to Indiana, where he lives with his long-term partner.

Cozza, that's 13K posts! Wouldn't you rather have that in cash? ;) I would, too.

I was married in one of the Chicago-area UCCs and if I had to pick a church to attend, I'd probably choose a UCC congregation. They are a very good example of positive, affirming, respectful Christianity. I think Jesus would approve. :) I'd want the pastor that married us, but he moved to Indiana, where he lives with his long-term partner.

shhhh :o;) and YE$! :D

I was married in my UCC back home by the Pastor who remarried both my parents and baptized my first daughter. I love our church home. I remember first going and thinking... there must be a catch, it's just too good to be true! My husband was raised Catholic (we have a lot of old Catlickers amongst us :p) and doesn't miss it one bit. Would love to have you visit us on the northside sometime...maybe you should come for the street festival I've begun to plan! Bands, booze and brotherhood :cool::D

What I mean to say (now that I'm at leisure) is I've studied and given classes and many talks on the rosary. I think I know a thing or two about it.

The only thing I'm gonna say is I've never prayed to the Virgin Mary. But I have asked for her prayers every morning and night for several years now.

I'm so glad someone bothered to ask. My (at times) incoherent ramblings are in NO WAY meant to convert or even persuade anyone into Catholicism. I just don't like it when when people misconstrue the teachings of the Catholic Church. In other words, I'm just clearing things up.

And by saying "fool" is the same thing as using "dude", "bloke" or something like that. I'm from California. :p

the bible states that you pray to NO ONE but jesus, who then speaks to God. "no one comes to the father BUT BY ME." praying to anyone, even the virgin mary is NOT BIBLICAL.

Last edited:
from your posts, i would never know this though. you seem extremely judgmental. FOREALS.

Aww. Well that's not the case. :)

the bible states that you pray to NO ONE but jesus, who then speaks to God. "no one comes to the father BUT BY ME." praying to anyone, even the virgin mary is NOT BIBLICAL.

No like, I ASK for her prayers. Without God, she'd be nothing. I ask her to pray for God for others and myself. She's my Spiritual Mother. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww. Well that's not the case. :)

No like, I ASK for her prayers. Without God, she'd be nothing. I ask her to pray for God for others and myself. She's my Spiritual Mother. :)

you ask her to pray? for God? why does she need to pray in the first place and why does she need to pray for God and why does she need us to encourage her?

this completely makes no sense to me.

you ask her to pray? for God? why does she need to pray in the first place and why does she need to pray for God and why does she need us to encourage her?

this completely makes no sense to me.

Whoops. Not "for God" but to God. Big difference.

why would people in heaven have to pray? thats like IMing someone who's sitting right next to you on a different computer.

i enjoy texting people i'm in the same bar with, for simple annoyance reasons.

i was raised a catholic, went to catholic school till grade 6 or so, saw the light,and was freed to go to a nice public school.i still recall the ancient 200 year old nun that taught me in 1st grade being upset i wrote with my left hand.

i enjoy texting people i'm in the same bar with, for simple annoyance reasons.

my college roommate/bff and I used to IM eachother in the same room. the way our desks were set up we werent facing eachother, and I'd IM her and say something ridiculous, or send her a stupid picture. id be like *SEND* ....3...2..1... then "LOLOL" coming from her side of the room

it was also a great way to talk shit about the roommate we hated when we obviously couldnt vocalize our annoyances with her in the room with us.

Sparked by the current thread in the pigsty, I'm curious what our collective backgrounds are like. I know a lot of us are Catholic, and I wonder if Morrissey appeals especially to those of us who share his background? Private poll. I've made it multiple choice in case your parents were of different faiths.
Athiest mostly. However, my mother had my Christened to keep her mother happy :rolleyes: (against my father's wishes) and my grandmother used to take me to church quite a lot when we stayed with her. My other grandmother is a lapsed Catholic, so while I didn't attend church with her, that did play a part in my religious upbringing.

I used to go to a Christian Protestant church when I was 14. It was very intense because I witnessed people dancing around, speaking tounges, falling to the floor crying, screaming. They were just in another planet and didn't care about how strange they looked. Then afterwords, they went back to their maintained and polite shy selves. I've never witnessed anything like that. It was a cool thing to experience.

Back
Top Bottom