Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Atheist/Agnostic

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • None

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
good luck with that believing in nothing, it did not work for me :o
but it works for some i guess :confused: though atheists are far more likely to kill themselves :eek:
statistically speaking :cool:

I'd rather kill myself than believe in something I don't believe in. :p

(And I know that it was addressed to Munchy, but it pertains to me as well)

Protestant, including Sunday school etc at a fairly young age.
It was never something which impeded daily life, just something which happened on Sundays and Christmas Day, perhaps up until the age of 8 or so?
My mum doesn't go to church any more, but I think that's just because she's out of the habit - she still classes herself as a Christian.

I'm quite cheerfully atheistic now, and have been since my teens. There was no definite moment which turned me towards it, more a slow dawning.
In a way, though, I'm glad I was raised within a semi-religious framework. I think it's a positive thing to be aware of the cultural traditions.

good luck with that believing in nothing, it did not work for me :o
but it works for some i guess :confused: though atheists are far more likely to kill themselves :eek:
statistically speaking :cool:

Well the the atheists who off themselves win because they don't have the threat of "going to hell" or the guilt of "what they left behind". They beat the system.

Technically I'm a Roman Catholic, since I was Christened to be one, but have never gone to church on a regular basis or practiced the religion in any way.

Started Catholic.. Didn't understand ANYTHING. Turned Atheist. Then actually looked into every religion, trying to disprove them. And returned to Roman Catholicism after being absolutely enthralled during my research. It's simply great. :)

Protestant though it was just a word that meant not Catholic, determining which school

to be abused in...

Ummm...badly advised lapsed catholic!
I haven't forgiven Jesus!
Mostly for all the bullshit that I was made to listen to....mind you I hear Catholicism is now popular with the Nazis ....

Seeker, as someone who is active in a faith, do you find the themes of religion and guilt in Morrissey's music to be interesting and compelling to you? I do. Faith is something I think everyone struggles with, no matter what their basic beliefs are. I don't think my beliefs are incorrect, but I admit I may be wrong.

I find them interesting. Personally I think the "Catholic guilt" is in there and he is dealing or trying to deal with it.
I forget at the moment which song it is, but there is a running dialog in it with Dallow, Spicer and Pinkie from Graham Greene's "Brighton Rock".

I read that book because of the song. There is a bit of the Catholic guilt thing going on in there too, and I think Morrissey is a bit connected to it.

I never got the whole "Catholic Guilt" trips that people talk about. :confused: God's love is unconditional, though He is a just God. End of story.:guitar:

EDIT: Also, I give talks during retreats on the Sacrament of Confession all the time. I've heard the craziest notions of confession. Most people don't understand the meaning/purpose of confession. Same with Morrissey, from what I get from some of his interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose both "Protestant/Other Christian" and "Atheist/Agnostic". My mother was raised Southern Baptist, but abandoned it before I was born. My father was raised...Lutheran, I believe, but also abandoned it, and Christianity itself, long before I was born.

I think that my parents made a deal before they had children, which was that they wouldn't raise their children in any particular religion, but, I could start going to church when I turned 13, if that was what I wanted.

So, I really wasn't raised anything at all. My family celebrated Christian holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.) without any religious aspects to them at all. Christmas was all about Santa, Easter was all about the Easter Bunny, etc.

However, I was raised to thoroughly believe in, and trust, science. The Natural History Museum was practically a second home for me.

Right now, I would classify myself as an agnostic.

unless you disobey him, then you burn in hell.

You just have to be sorry! So why would it be His fault?? That's where the whole "just God" I was talking about works into play.

Was raised christian my mums side of family is very religious my dads is not.I still go to church on the odd sundays bu not that much now.

God's love is unconditional, though He is a just God. End of story.:guitar:

That is true, but why would John Cardinal O’Connor say “Church teaching is that I don’t know...what my eternal future will be. I can hope, pray, do my very best—but I still don’t know. Pope John Paul II doesn’t know absolutely that he will go to heaven, nor does Mother Teresa of Calcutta....” ?

What kind of religion is it when the leader of it, the infallible, so-called God appointed one, is unsure of what will happen to him?

You proclaim yourself as a Catholic...do you know better than el Papa?

I choose to take my teaching from a teacher who knows the subject matter.

You just have to be sorry! So why would it be His fault?? That's where the whole "just God" I was talking about works into play.

it would be his fault b/c he made us with our "sinful nature." and the bible is left up to so much interpretation as to what is wrong and what is not. what if you "sin" and then you're sorry and then sin again? i just gotta be sorry again? so i can go through life being a total douchebag as long as I say "sorry" after ward? and go to heaven? but if you dont believe in God and never hurt anyone in your entire life you're gonna burn in hell?

it would be his fault b/c he made us with our "sinful nature." and the bible is left up to so much interpretation as to what is wrong and what is not. what if you "sin" and then you're sorry and then sin again? i just gotta be sorry again? so i can go through life being a total douchebag as long as I say "sorry" after ward? and go to heaven? but if you dont believe in God and never hurt anyone in your entire life you're gonna burn in hell?

God didn't create us with a "sinful nature" but with a free will. That's how we know God loves us so much. We're not mindless robots. Well most of us. :)

I can't say where anyone is gonna end up. I'm not God, I don't judge. As for the douchbag, God decides whether or not he's truly sorry. And I really shouldn't go into it but that's where purgatory comes in. Pope John Paul II once said he hopes he makes it at least into purgatory. Pull out your rosaries guys! :D:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom