Gilbert O'Sullivan fans come out of the closet

T

Tingle

"He still looks upon the High Court case as the worst experience in his life. 'It had a terrible effect on me - it went on for years'."

Morrissey? Non. This is a quote from an article about Gilbert O'Sullivan! Curiously, the other singer/song writer I follow Pete Wylie surprised me by recording a cover of Gilbert's "Alone Again (Nauturally)". That's a terrific song. I don't know about 'Nothing Rhymed', I just can't think how it goes. Now I guess I'll have to try OXFAM and see if they have any O'Sullivan LPs. It seems that there are dozens of 'Greatest hits' compilations out there.

I wonder if Morrissey did the song simply because he likes the words, or the man and connects with what he's been through with his High Court wranglings, or because he too has an Irish name? Does anyone know how he introduced the song?

cd33_diamond_star.jpg

Re: Insight !

Yeah, Gilbert was known for appalling style wasn't he? I've read that he realises it hindered his career.....

Quite prophetically, from the Irish Times, Tuesday, March 20, 2001

"It could also be argued that he was one of pop music's first true miserabalists and that, lurking in a suburb in Manchester, someone called Morrissey was humming along to the likes of Nothing Rhymed, Alone Again (Naturally), Clair and We Will - in each instance wordy, colloquially-framed, superb self-pitying pop songs."

Ignore the 'Miserablist' bit. Morrissey is nothing of the sort, as we all know.

http://www.gosullivan.com/irishtimes.html

The GOS connection

> Quite prophetically, from the Irish Times, Tuesday, March 20, 2001

> "It could also be argued that he was one of pop music's first true
> miserabalists and that, lurking in a suburb in Manchester, someone called
> Morrissey was humming along to the likes of Nothing Rhymed, Alone Again
> (Naturally), Clair and We Will - in each instance wordy,
> colloquially-framed, superb self-pitying pop songs."

Surely too much of a coincidence for the very song to be linked with Mozzer's name in an Irish paper and then for him to unleash the cover version in Ireland. He MUST'VE seen this.

'Alone Again, Naturally' was used as the headline for a Morrissey article in Q Magazine once.

And Gilbert O'Sullivan once released an album called 'Southpaw'!

Imitation George XXIII Fashions

Back
Top Bottom