Get morrissey to number one

I love EMI. God luvs a tryer :)

As you know Moz is releasing everyday is like Sunday so everybody needs to buy it after Sunday and get him to no.1 for the first time in his career. This will show that there are some real music fans left in the world that don't listen to thoughtless pop and it will give Moz the admiration he deserves.

Join this group too and spread the word

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=158143434199976&v=wall&ref=search

Dumb question: if you buy it on the Sunday does it still count as a sale for the next week's chart?

After the "subspecies" fiasco, Morrissey would be lucky for a brand new single to reach the top 50, never mind another money-spinning re-release aiming for no.1. The fact that fans have to stoop to these "internal agendas" to create any semblance of popularity for the man is woeful.

Semblance of popularity?

It's only lacking if you count it by new record sales. (How sordid.) Who says it has to be counted that way? It's about having a remarkable body of work. I would count it by walking down the street and asking people if they like Morrissey. Thousands more people would say yes than if you asked the same question about whatever moron is currently at number one.

I don't think his popularity is waning at all, I think it's on the up.

Semblance of popularity?

It's only lacking if you count it by new record sales. (How sordid.) Who says it has to be counted that way? It's about having a remarkable body of work. I would count it by walking down the street and asking people if they like Morrissey. Thousands more people would say yes than if you asked the same question about whatever moron is currently at number one.

I don't think his popularity is waning at all, I think it's on the up.

If I asked people walking down the street, I would expect half to have a mild dislike ("depressing", "whiny", the usual) and the others to actually hate him, in the same way that a lot of people 'hate' Bono and other rock stars of his ilk. Morrissey's record sales have been in steady decline for a long time now, and pointless as the charts are, no-one could be more obsessed with sales and placings than the man himself. He is practically a pariah in the eyes of the British Press - and most peversely of all, I think he quite likes it that way.

The British press aren't actually a very good reflection of the feelings of the British public, though.

Take Porcupine Tree, for example. Big, popular band, highly regarded by the public, totally ignored by the music press. Most people who have a serious interest in music have a lot of time for Porcupine Tree and I think the same is true of Morrissey. Proper music fans respect him hugely because of his music and they aren't going to stop because of a "subspecies" comment that most of them haven't even registered anyway. Not everyone reads the tabloids or cares what their latest story is.

I'm sure I wouldn't even have heard about it if I hadn't been hanging about on this forum.

(I haven't spent any time on Morrissey forums, so I don't know how things are perceived from this angle, but from the angle of the general music forums that I have spent a lot of time on, Morrissey is held in high regard, especially for the Smiths but also for his solo work. Whenever there are threads about him or his lyrics there is huge praise and a few naysayers. I don't think he has anything to worry about in terms of lasting critical acclaim. I'm not trying to be sycophantic. I mean, it's fun to be sycophantic, but actually I've never been a "fanatic" type of fan, I'v never even seen him play live, so I think my point of view is pretty realistic.)

Last edited:
If I asked people walking down the street, I would expect half to have a mild dislike ("depressing", "whiny", the usual) and the others to actually hate him, in the same way that a lot of people 'hate' Bono and other rock stars of his ilk. Morrissey's record sales have been in steady decline for a long time now, and pointless as the charts are, no-one could be more obsessed with sales and placings than the man himself. He is practically a pariah in the eyes of the British Press - and most peversely of all, I think he quite likes it that way.

You're right about the public perception about Morrissey. And, frankly, who can blame them when they his recent comments about immigration, the Chinese etc.
A lot more people like Bono than Moz tho. He's generally considered to be a pretty likeable kinda guy (apart from by indie snobs) and U2 are massively more popular than Morrissey.

Record sales in steady decline for a long term? Err, not really. Over the solo years they've been up and down like a fiddler's nightie. Huge sales for Viva, rubbish sales for Bona and Arsenal. Decent sales for Vauxhall - rubbish for Southpaw, even worse for Mala.
Then biggest solo sales of career (in UK) for Quarry, and still pretty decent sales for ROTT. YOR didn't do brilliantly but still much better than most of his 1990s albums...

The British press aren't actually a very good reflection of the feelings of the British public, though.

Take Porcupine Tree, for example. Big, popular band, highly regarded by the public, totally ignored by the music press. Most people who have a serious interest in music have a lot of time for Porcupine Tree and I think the same is true of Morrissey. Proper music fans respect him hugely because of his music and they aren't going to stop because of a "subspecies" comment that most of them haven't even registered anyway. Not everyone reads the tabloids or cares what their latest story is.

I'm sure I wouldn't even have heard about it if I hadn't been hanging about on this forum.

(I haven't spent any time on Morrissey forums, so I don't know how things are perceived from this angle, but from the angle of the general music forums that I have spent a lot of time on, Morrissey is held in high regard, especially for the Smiths but also for his solo work. Whenever there are threads about him or his lyrics there is huge praise and a few naysayers. I don't think he has anything to worry about in terms of lasting critical acclaim. I'm not trying to be sycophantic. I mean, it's fun to be sycophantic, but actually I've never been a "fanatic" type of fan, I'v never even seen him play live, so I think my point of view is pretty realistic.)

Thank you for your informative, objective and assuring assessment. :guitar: :)

on my street they would say "who?"

all I ever hear anyone listen to rap, mostly the really popular stuff.

I think the crucial problem here is separating attitudes to The Smiths and Morrissey's solo career.

Of course the Press don't speak for the entire public, but they do show just how much the tides have turned against Morrissey in the past ten years. The Smiths are/were the "indie darlings" of the British press and are practically revered by the modern music critics - that respect and admiration is naturally slow to dissipate, but it has been crumbling gradually for Morrissey himself since the Finsbury Park disaster. The man has stepped into verbal pothole after pothole, making enemies at every corner and alienating a lot of his own fans along the way. Affection born of nostalgia can't endure forever, and if the casual listener feels a fondness for Morrissey then I doubt it will be because they heard "In The Future When All's Well".

Last edited:
You're right about the public perception about Morrissey. And, frankly, who can blame them when they his recent comments about immigration, the Chinese etc.
A lot more people like Bono than Moz tho. He's generally considered to be a pretty likeable kinda guy (apart from by indie snobs) and U2 are massively more popular than Morrissey.

Record sales in steady decline for a long term? Err, not really. Over the solo years they've been up and down like a fiddler's nightie. Huge sales for Viva, rubbish sales for Bona and Arsenal. Decent sales for Vauxhall - rubbish for Southpaw, even worse for Mala.
Then biggest solo sales of career (in UK) for Quarry, and still pretty decent sales for ROTT. YOR didn't do brilliantly but still much better than most of his 1990s albums...

I probably should have been more clear - since the big "comeback", since Quarry & his final shot at solo success, his sales have been dropping and dropping. He doesn't even have a record label anymore. How miserable is that? :(

Affection born of nostalgia can't endure forever, and if the casual listener feels a fondness for Morrissey then I doubt it will be because they heard "In The Future When All's Well".

Amy! You are a vicious little creature! :D

If it didn't work for the Pistols, it ain't gonna work for Morrissey.

Amy! You are a vicious little creature! :D

I wish I could say otherwise but it's true. I had a browse around Selfridges this morning and the lower floor had portraits of The Smiths on the walls, it was strangely relaxing.

I think the crucial problem here is separating attitudes to The Smiths and Morrissey's solo career.

Of course the Press don't speak for the entire public, but they do show just how much the tides have turned against Morrissey in the past ten years. The Smiths are/were the "indie darlings" of the British press and are practically revered by the modern music critics - that respect and admiration is naturally slow to dissipate, but it has been crumbling gradually for Morrissey himself since the Finsbury Park disaster. The man has stepped into verbal pothole after pothole, making enemies at every corner and alienating a lot of his own fans along the way. Affection born of nostalgia can't endure forever, and if the casual listener feels a fondness for Morrissey then I doubt it will be because they heard "In The Future When All's Well".

But but but... at the time The Smiths were pretty rigourously ignored/loathed/ridiculed by your 'people walking down the street', whilst being worshipped by a relatively small section of the British unwashed , some of whom are now all growed up and control the pop culture media agenda. Most of them, it seems to me, would have been perfectly happy if Morrissey had Plath'd it 23 years ago this month. There's nowt so dangerous as rose-tainted nostalgia.

I had a browse around Selfridges this morning and the lower floor had portraits of The Smiths on the walls, it was strangely relaxing.
Like I say, there is nowt so dangerous...

But but but... at the time The Smiths were pretty rigourously ignored/loathed/ridiculed by your 'people walking down the street', whilst being worshipped by a relatively small section of the British unwashed , some of whom are now all growed up and control the pop culture media agenda. Most of them, it seems to me, would have been perfectly happy if Morrissey had Plath'd it 23 years ago this month. There's nowt so dangerous as rose-tainted nostalgia.

Like I say, there is nowt so dangerous...

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I said that nostalgia for The Smiths often gets mistaken for admiration of present-day Morrissey - thus appearing to make him more respected/popular/prominent than he really is - when he and the Smiths are poles apart in 2010 in every way I can think of. Many people I know loved The Smiths for their attitude, aesthetic, lyrics, etc etc back in the '80s - and now see our man Moz as a tired has-been. It is the same for a lot of pop stars when they've been on the block a few decades, of course.

Back
Top Bottom