Factory International: "A night with The Johnny Marr Orchestra" (on December 7-8, 2023)

A NIGHT WITH THE JOHNNY MARR ORCHESTRA

JM_2000x1125.f1ccbae~2.jpg

Get ready for a night of classics and fan favourites brought to life with a new, expanded sound as Johnny Marr takes to the stage with a full orchestra.

Known for crafting a generation-defining guitar sound with The Smiths,
Marr has carved out an equally impressive solo career, bringing his masterful playing to a new generation of indie rock fans.

In 2022, Marr released his fourth solo album Fever Dreams Pts. 1–4 to widespread critical acclaim, before touring with the likes of Blondie and The Killers. Now, he brings his live show back to where it all began – right here in Manchester.

For this special performance at Aviva Studios, Marr is joined on stage by some of the best classical musicians from across Manchester. Together, they’ll reinterpret Marr’s mightily impressive catalogue in A Night with the Johnny Marr Orchestra.

This looks rather interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's where my thoughts went, though it's probably more likely influenced by the work Johnny's done with Hans Zimmer over the past few years. Regardless, with his reaction to both 'Classically Smiths' and Rick Astley,

Johnny has shown himself to be surprisingly (and unnecessarily in my opinion) grouchy and possessive when it comes to other artists covering his work. I don't quite understand that attitude if I'm honest, especially when he's been long used to Morrissey's band doing the same, and has never complained.

My take is that … no matter how far he and Morrissey grow apart, & appreciating Andy’s contribution especially, Johnny will always recognize that The Smiths were really him & Morrissey. And to add, I think he knows it would just look silly for him to try and stop Morrissey from doing what he wants with Smiths songs.

Anyway - I've got a ticket for the Thursday night - should be an interesting variation on his usual solo gigs, so bring it on! :thumb:

Have fun! (y)

Some info from Music Radar about the gigs and his 8 shows on BBC 6 Music.

“It’s been really enjoyable working on the arrangements,” he said. “I’ve been doing a lot of pre-orchestration work, and some of the songs have taken on a sort of highly pumped symphonic feel.”

Although Marr has had some experience playing with an orchestra as part of the soundtrack composer Hans Zimmer’s extended family of musicians – Zimmer’s go-to guitar virtuosos are Marr and Guthrie Govan – these Manchester shows will be altogether more personal.

“I’ve had two experiences of playing with an orchestra – Hans Zimmer, obviously, and also with Pet Shop Boys – but to actually sing in front of an orchestra playing my own work, that’s a first,” Marr said. “You can’t help feeling a little bit emotional.”

In other news, you can find Marr on BBC 6 Music as the station’s Artist In Residence, in which he will discuss his inspirations and the songs that shaped his life across eight shows, with one dedicated to his time spent living in the Portland, Oregon.

He will also share some stories behind his favourite riffs with The Smiths and, tantalisingly, share tips on playing guitar. Those shows air on 18-21 and 25-28 September, 9pm-10pm.

People have probably heard him try to sing before and come to their own conclusion.

I’ve seen him live and he’s a good rock’n’roll singer, not a crooner like Moz. If you’ve not seen him, he’s a wonder on guitar and an engaging performer. Plus his band is awesome. hope there’s a recording with the orchestra!

He' not the best but hey ho, I'm sure a few thousand people will enjoy themselves.
I'm sure they will. Incidentally, most of them will be in the "Love The Smiths Hate Morrissey" crowd as they, nonetheless, sing loudly along to Morrissey's words. Not a particularly bright bunch of people.

I’ve seen him live and he’s a good rock’n’roll singer, not a crooner like Moz. If you’ve not seen him, he’s a wonder on guitar and an engaging performer. Plus his band is awesome. hope there’s a recording with the orchestra!
He's a shite singer and he has as much charisma and stage presence as a brick. Hearing him suck all the emotion out of There Is a Light was f***ing woeful.

Utter bollocks most people enjoy both.
Indeed. As is the case here - I'm happy to see both Johnny and Moz, and buy each of their solo records. I can have both.

Based solely on 'Angel, Down We Go Together', I wouldn't mind Morrissey doing something similar, and doing a short engagement with an orchestra - maybe no traditional band at all, just classical instruments.

Indeed. As is the case here - I'm happy to see both Johnny and Moz, and buy each of their solo records. I can have both.

Based solely on 'Angel, Down We Go Together', I wouldn't mind Morrissey doing something similar, and

doing a short engagement with an orchestra - maybe no traditional band at all, just classical instruments.

This is what I initially thought this Marr event was. I pictured Johnny with his guitar under a spotlight while he ripped awesome leads as the the orchestra swelled and raced gorgeously around him. No vocals, just pure instrumental. I mean, Johnny’s true voice is his guitar.

Anyway, it’s not gonna go down like this, is it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom