Do you consider Morrissey to be the greatest lyricist of all time?

Not anymore, by a long shot. But for many many years, yes, he was untouchable.

That award, in my estimation, now goes to Brian Fallon.

Not anymore, by a long shot. But for many many years, yes, he was untouchable.

I would have to say that sums up my feelings too.While I admire other lyricists currently, who knows if their body of work will hold up as well as Moz's has over the past 30 years.

In terms of how the lyrics have touched me, personally, yes. "Greatest lyricist of all time" on a more objective level, no.

In terms of how the lyrics have touched me, personally, yes. "Greatest lyricist of all time" on a more objective level, no.

This. One lyricist will always lack something for someone that another lyricist provides. One might perhaps have a better chance of making a claim for an artist being the "best" for a specific genre in a specific period of time in hindsight, but "greatest lyricist of all time" is a bit lofty and unspecific.

tumblr_m1ur1pY5JY1qj1wun.gif

As much of a prick as he can be, I must concede that he is, and I never say things if I don't mean them.

If you just look at the printed words on the page, I think he's among the best, but I don't know if he's any better than Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Lennon-McCartney, McLennan-Forster, and the rest. To be honest there are people like Paul Weller, Mark E. Smith, Jarvis Cocker, and Paul Heaton who-- over the course of their entire careers--have written more interesting lyrics.

The trouble I have with the question is that it seems to imply a comparison of lyrics only. I think his words have to be considered alongside his singing, and his singing is really his total vocal delivery: Morrissey has some of the best hums, whines, moans, laughs, and "la la la"-type utterances in the history of pop music, none of which are proper lyrics. And then there are other important factors, all of which I'd sum up under the word style (performance, charisma, media presence, clothing). When you put it all together, yes, I think he's the best. Without question the best of the last thirty years.

The trouble I have with the question is that it seems to imply a comparison of lyrics only.

That is what "lyricist" refers to.

Anyways, "Explosive kegs between my legs" says it all.

I don't think anybody really comes close to Jacques Brel.
Of English speaking lyricists, he's probably my top one, though Thackray, E Smith, Mael & Walker are close.

Yes I do.

Mark E Smith brings delight in a completely different way.

I love 'em both!

If you accept that all pop is gloriously subjective then Yes, he is my greatest lyricist of all time.

And still accepting that all pop is still gloriously subjective then these kind of questions (who is best-est? etc) are rendered null and void. What is the point? Unless you're going to start getting into a technical analysis of lyrics as poetry, and whose 'poetry' is technically more accomplished. Which is all very nice. But you can't dance to poetry. I know. I've tried. They still won't let me back in that bloody library...

Back
Top Bottom