Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Still Matters, Top 10

NME doing a piece on Viva Hate turning 25

Posted by modrevolve in the forums (original post):

per Stephen Street on twitter (1, 2)

"Interviewed on 'phone this morning by NME as they're doing a piece on Viva Hate being 25 yrs old! Some of the questions should be directed at Morrissey but I doubt he will agree to be interviewed about his debut solo LP."

Why Morrissey Still Matters

Jon sends the link:

Why Morrissey Still Matters by Jon Paul Fiorentino - The Huffington Post

Blog - Top Ten Most Underrated Morrissey Songs

Dickie sends the link:

The top ten most underrated Morrissey songs - Dickie Felton blog

Jeremy Petersen interview

Louder Than Moz by Matthew Singer - Willamette Week
A conversation with Morrissey...or close enough.

Excerpt:

Rather than go through a whole process to inevitably get turned down, we decided to do the next best thing: Interview Jeremy Petersen, host of OPB’s In House music program and frontman for Smiths tribute act This Charming Man, and ask him the same questions we’d pose of the actual Morrissey.

See also from Willamette Week (link posted by MORRIZSEY in the forums):

From The Vault: 21 Years of Morrissey in Willamette Week
"There is a definite appeal to his campy, smart-aleck personality."

Last edited:
You know what's really cool? Setting your own rules and then following them and not giving a shit what others think. Believe what you believe - live and let live.

Re: Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Sti

Transubstantiation gone wrong. It happens. Sometimes the blood and body of Christ transubstantiates into evilness, like the Christ consciousness gets configured into a body that reads it;s signs wrong and gets it in it's head to harm and kill and make money and be greedy. In the long term, good comes from the evil "sacrifice" but it's a messy topic that liturgical teachings haven't eloquently figured out a way to reasonably explain.

That's because the explanation you have just offered is nonsensical mumbo-jumbo. Either God "intervenes" in this world (in which case He intervenes selectively and arbitrarily and is a cruel, sick creature for allowing people like Brady to commit the crimes they did), or He doesn't intervene, and we are left to our own devices until the end. A just God would not think, "Yeah, I'll send the Smiths down to X person but Y can get strangled because good will come of it later".

Re: Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Sti

Why would would God choose to intervene when, say, a teenager is feeling a bit shitty and walks into a record store in search of 'salvation', but not when people like Myra Hindley and Ian Brady are raping, torturing and murdering little children one after the other? Bit harsh of him, don't you think? You're applying "God's Will" to your own selfish circumstances and seeing whatever you want to see to back up your delusions. What a crock of shit.

Why do people blame God for the stuff that man does and take credit for the miracles God does? But I will answer you this- did those people get caught? yes. Did the song "Suffer Little Children" keep that case open for another 20 years? yes. The UK was done with that case until one of the relatives of John Kilbride just happened to hear the B-side of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". I don't speak for God. I know what He has done in my life. That's my testimony. Believe it or not. That's not up for debate; it's MY story.

Something more than tells me Playcat is a troll.

When did everyone on internet message boards start believing they were cool as Andy Kaufman? You're not. Stop.

I never liked Andy Kaufman. I didn't start the Christian bashing. Did at any time I insult anyone here for being atheists? no.

Why do people blame God for the stuff that man does and take credit for the miracles God does? But I will answer you this- did those people get caught? yes. Did the song "Suffer Little Children" keep that case open for another 20 years? yes. The UK was done with that case until one of the relatives of John Kilbride just happened to hear the B-side of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". I don't speak for God. I know what He has done in my life. That's my testimony. Believe it or not. That's not up for debate; it's MY story.

You cannot possibly be serious? They got caught because one very, very brave man went to the police when he saw a 17-year old being axed to death. The Moors Murders were notorious long before "Suffer Little Children" and long after, due to the fact that the killings of Pauline Reade and Keith Bennett didn't come to light until 1986. Did you really think it was in the papers and the case re-opened because a f***ing pop band wrote a song about it? Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Why do people blame God for the stuff that man does and take credit for the miracles God does? But I will answer you this- did those people get caught? yes. Did the song "Suffer Little Children" keep that case open for another 20 years? yes. The UK was done with that case until one of the relatives of John Kilbride just happened to hear the B-side of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". I don't speak for God. I know what He has done in my life. That's my testimony. Believe it or not. That's not up for debate; it's MY delusion.

Fixed that for you. ;)

You cannot possibly be serious? They got caught because one very, very brave man went to the police when he saw a 17-year old being axed to death. The Moors Murders were notorious long before "Suffer Little Children" and long after, due to the fact that the killings of Pauline Reade and Keith Bennett didn't come to light until 1986. Did you really think it was in the papers and the case re-opened because a f***ing pop band wrote a song about it? Unbelievable.

What made him "very, very brave"? I would hope that anyone witnessing a 17 year old being axed to death would send them running for help immediately. Did they see him witness the murder? I'm genuinely interested - curious.

What made him "very, very brave"? I would hope that anyone witnessing a 17 year old being axed to death would send them running for help immediately. Did they see him witness the murder? I'm genuinely interested - curious.

David Smith was Ian Brady's brother-in-law. Brady wanted to make him a "third accomplice" of sorts, had been indoctrinating him for a while, and arranged for him to come over to the house one night in order to rob the boy (Edward Evans) and take his wallet. Smith went over and found Ian axing the boy in the head. He watched them clean up the blood, said goodbye to them, crossed the street to his wife and called the police from a phonebox, armed with a screwdriver in case Brady tried to kill him. In the end, Myra Hindley tried to blame the murders on Smith, and he was only exonerated completely in '86 when they confessed to all five murders. It ruined his life.

David Smith was Ian Brady's brother-in-law. Brady wanted to make him a "third accomplice" of sorts, had been indoctrinating him for a while, and arranged for him to come over to the house one night in order to rob the boy (Edward Evans) and take his wallet. Smith went over and found Ian axing the boy in the head. He watched them clean up the blood, said goodbye to them, crossed the street to his wife and called the police from a phonebox, armed with a screwdriver in case Brady tried to kill him. In the end, Myra Hindley tried to blame the murders on Smith, and he was only exonerated completely in '86 when they confessed to all five murders. It ruined his life.

Wow. That is brave. I didn't know that, I don't want to know but you seem to know a lot. I've learned more about the Moors Murders from you than any other person. You're a reliable source too, I mean I trust you do your homework objectively. You'd be good at mumbo jumbo if that was your calling as it was mine. :D

Oh God. I never knew all the facts about the Moors Murders. That is horrific and, yes, very, very brave.

Wow. That is brave. I didn't know that, I don't want to know but you seem to know a lot. I've learned more about the Moors Murders from you than any other person. You're a reliable source too, I mean I trust you do your homework objectively. You'd be good at mumbo jumbo if that was your calling as it was mine. :D

There was some conjecture - I don't know if it's true, of course - that Morrissey called the band "The Smiths" because they were the people who shopped the Moors Murderers to the police.

I never liked Andy Kaufman. I didn't start the Christian bashing. Did at any time I insult anyone here for being atheists? no.

I wasn't insulted. But you made some odd assumption that I worshiped the devil. I don't believe in devils or demons. Not aware of any atheists who do.

Point is, you are no angel. You have dished out the vitriol by the spoonful in this thread.

There was some conjecture - I don't know if it's true, of course - that Morrissey called the band "The Smiths" because they were the people who shopped the Moors Murderers to the police.

I thought that for a second, too, about the name, but I think Morrissey said they chose The Smiths because it was simple and could be easily remembered (?) I don't know, though. I read that a LONG time ago!

David Smith was Ian Brady's brother-in-law.

If I'm remembering rightly, he was actually Hindley's brother-in-law. His wife was Hindley's younger sister.

I thought that for a second, too, about the name, but I think Morrissey said they chose The Smiths because it was simple and could be easily remembered (?) I don't know, though. I read that a LONG time ago!

Yes, in the interview where he is traumatising Johnny's little brother with the flowers? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, in the interview where he is traumatising Johnny's little brother with the flowers? :D

Haha! That was sweet and lovely!! At least my memory isn't fading. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom