Accents

I love a manc accent! and a deep welsh one too...its a horrible accent where i live, they dont pronounce their t's and they say 'dug' instead of 'dog'. i was born and raised here( and ive took some stick here), but people ask if im northern? suits me just fine!! xx

and i must add the majority of people in my town are either chavs or slum mums!!!

I'm as unfortunate as you to live in Kettering. I come from London originally so the accent here to me must be even MORE annoying. They all pronounce mum as 'murm' around these here parts. Do Kettering folk come under the umbrella of 'carrot crunchers'? I remember when I lived in London I pronounced all of my family up here as northerners. Now I'm one of them!

hi drew, yep, carrot crunchers or at worst sheep shaggers! so the story goes, a man was 'helping' a stray sheep back in the field!! funny thing is my mate really fancied him till she found out about 'the sheep'!! Kettering folklaw that one!! Corby people tend to bring it up when the poppies play corby at football so im told.
hope you feeling ok,sad news bout your mum. x

hi drew, yep, carrot crunchers or at worst sheep shaggers! so the story goes, a man was 'helping' a stray sheep back in the field!! funny thing is my mate really fancied him till she found out about 'the sheep'!! Kettering folklaw that one!! Corby people tend to bring it up when the poppies play corby at football so im told.
hope you feeling ok,sad news bout your mum. x

Why do all Corby people sound Scottish? I've never got my head around that one.

Thanks about mum. It happened at Kettering crem. Was awful, but now I'm ok. Closure, and all that stuff. xx

Thanks about mum. It happened at Kettering crem. Was awful, but now I'm ok. Closure, and all that stuff. xx

Saturday night in Corby involves a quick clean up (removing the fag dimp from behind the ear) and a fresh Rangers shirt on. That was my experience!

I was in Kettering last weekend. It was absolotely dead on saturday afternoon. 20 years ago it was a busy market town, but now everyone seems to only want to go to the big supermarkets, which Kettering seems to have one too many of?

I used to quite like The Market Tavern (?) a pub with a splendid selection of ales when I used to call in. I never got a chance to go in last week though, instead we opted for Gumley and Kibworth in Leicestershire.

Last edited:

they all speak scottish because corby was a steel town in the 50's 60's they all came down here for work. they never went back! most of them under 40 yrs old have never even been 'up the road' as they say, but they still have the accent! mind you now its more of a mixture of scots and polish.

LOL a nite out in corby... clean tracksuit, new trainers, argos bling, SORTED!!

Kettering pubs have all gone down hill, Prince of Wales...ok ish, rest are pretty crap! The king billy in northampton is better. xx

they all speak scottish because corby was a steel town in the 50's 60's they all came down here for work. they never went back! most of them under 40 yrs old have never even been 'up the road' as they say, but they still have the accent! mind you now its more of a mixture of scots and polish.

LOL a nite out in corby... clean tracksuit, new trainers, argos bling, SORTED!!

Kettering pubs have all gone down hill, Prince of Wales...ok ish, rest are pretty crap! The king billy in northampton is better. xx

My wifes father was a Steelworker at Corby. He was made redundant in the 1980's along with many others. Thatchers Britain at the tough end. He used to call Egg and Chips "Corby Sunday Dinner".

Here in Norfolk people say roight instead of right.How is pronouced" hair".Its a bit bonkers.

I like most accents-the only English regional accent that I can't really get my head around (even though I should be used to it by now) is the strong Norfolk one that Hellie mentioned.

I don't have it though, despite being a native :D. I just have an average, neutral Southern accent, peppered with the very occasional 'flat' a (ie "bath" instead of "bahth") picked up from my Brummie relatives. I also sometimes hear slight twinges of other accents slip into my everyday speech for no reason. :crazy: :p

I like Irish accents :blushing:

I hate all accents! They should all be banned - like the weather!

I love English accents.
English accent makes me uh... oh... :blushing:

my new boss has an English accent and i think i have a little crush on him because of it, and i get all nervous and retarded when hes around and talking. :blushing:

Back
Top Bottom