British accents: northern and southern

I don't know if any of this is true for morrissey's lack of a stereotypical accent but this is my experience. having been bored and raised in australia, i never was in the possession of a broad australian accent namely because both my parents were/are migrants and wouldn't allow it. i started developing one when i was about 7 and told promptly to "stop it". i was aware of it ever since. of course it's unavoidable for some words here and there but on the whole it's a meek accent.

For fun I'm reading your post aloud in my best Crocodile Dundee accent.

I don't know if any of this is true for morrissey's lack of a stereotypical accent but this is my experience. having been bored and raised in australia, i never was in the possession of a broad australian accent namely because both my parents were/are migrants and wouldn't allow it. i started developing one when i was about 7 and told promptly to "stop it". i was aware of it ever since. of course it's unavoidable for some words here and there but on the whole it's a meek accent.

How did your peers react to your parents' deliberate discouragement of the accent? My kids are already starting to lengthen and break their vowels like the locals do, and it makes me cringe. We're raising them to speak properly (i.e. the Midwestern way ;)), but I fear that it's only going to exacerbate their otherness when the other kids become aware of it.

Well i live in Norfolk and the accent is just awful.Real country, thick as a bale of straw sounding.I come from Romford but i think my voice is just "neutral" sounding if you know what i mean.

my peers? my imaginary friends didn't mind at all.

well i didn't tell any of them at the time that i wasn't supposed to talk like them although i was teased about it at certain points of my childhood.

Ah. That's what I was afraid of.

the teasing ever really bothered me but you knew that right?

How would I? That's some Freudian slip there, too.

Accents in singing -

Cockney - Chaz & Dave, Blur (actually that is a Mockney accent ie fake)
Scottish - The Proclaimers
Welsh - Catatonia
Manc - Oasis / Ian Brown / Frank Sidebottom / The Fall

Jukebox Jury

notice how the manc ones are cool and the others are awful thanks for that phil

here are some tv programes which might help you

cockney - eastenders
manc - coronation street
Scottish - river city
welsh - erm .... songs of praise

sorry this isnt much better

Now here's one for you accents people.
Best of luck,non Scots understanding this one!

Christmas no 1 ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
cockney, london=danny dyer (just search youtube)

north manchester=happy mondays interviews (bez) oasis,stone roses,shameless(manchester based soap thing).check out interviews of these bands they all have broad manc accents

noonethinksbig2.jpg

I don't speak television, if that's from a TV show. :confused:

Now here's one for you accents people.
Best of luck,non Scots understanding this one!

That hurt my head. Good thing it was subtitled in English.

Back
Top Bottom