Morrissey Central "A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE MUSIC IS OURS" (April 19, 2024)

c4409c14d2e0c1a75462b212cf1845a1d9b6d4d9.jpg

Morrissey has paid the exit fee to Capitol Records in order to return both WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS albums back to him.
"It's been a long, hard, bloody war. Few would make it out alive, and … I'm no exception," he has commented.
Morrissey remains unsigned.

1B2BFCEC-20AA-4738-B5DC-F134BF1C8207.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet the issue remains: you feel that some people shouldn’t be interested in Morrissey if they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does. I for one relate to that particular issue, but not to some of the politics. Am I allowed to listen to Morrissey?
And like I said it is possible to criticize some of the actions of an artist and still love said artist and remain a fan.

No, I never said that.
They can be interested. No one’s stopping them. But why are they? What kind of interest is it? Is it healthy? ….
I guess you can see it as balanced fanaticism.

If it’s a hate/love relationship with an artist. Fine. But that’s not my bag. Nor do I agree with everything Morrissey says or does.

But if I disagreed with Morrissey’s behavior and actions as much as those that continually do on here, I wouldn’t come to a site that’s dedicated to The Smiths/Morrissey.

No, I never said that.
They can be interested. No one’s stopping them. But why are they? What kind of interest is it? Is it healthy? ….

If it’s a hate/love relationship with an artist. Fine. But that’s not my bag. Nor do I agree with everything Morrissey says or does.

But if I disagreed with Morrissey’s behavior and actions as much as those that continually do on here, I wouldn’t come to a site that’s dedicated to The Smiths/Morrissey.
Why are they interested in Morrissey when they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does? Are you really asking that question? Not even you agree with everything he says or does, according to yourself. So why are you here?

If you’ve followed an artist for decades it takes a lot to quit said artist. Especially if most of the music still resonates deep within you.

Why are they interested in Morrissey when they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does? Are you really asking that question?
Nope.
Not even you agree with everything he says or does, according to yourself. So why are you here?

Did you not read my whole post?

I said …

If you’ve followed an artist for decades it takes a lot to quit said artist. Especially if most of the music still resonates deep within you.

Fine. It’s not what I’m talking about.

No, I never said that.

And yet you come to a site that Morrissey detests.

Morrissey has taken extraordinary action against the owner of a fan website by banning him for life from the singer's concerts.

The former The Smiths frontman declared war on Morrissey-solo.com after owner David Tseng refused to prevent members from discussing the star's private life or criticizing his career moves.

The singer stepped up his campaign against the forum last month by taking to the stage during a show in England wearing a T-shirt printed with the words: "F**k Morrissey-solo.com".

Nope.

I said …

Yes, you did.

Fine, key words being “as much as”.

Is it not?

Morrissey has taken extraordinary action against the owner of a fan website by banning him for life from the singer's concerts.

The former The Smiths frontman declared war on Morrissey-solo.com after owner David Tseng refused to prevent members from discussing the star's private life or criticizing his career moves.

The singer stepped up his campaign against the forum last month by taking to the stage during a show in England wearing a T-shirt printed with the words: "F**k Morrissey-solo.com".

In any sense of the word, are you a Morrissey fan?

my post was not really directed at any one member.
The example in this thread, just highlights how some don’t relate to the point of view of, let’s say, of an ‘outsider’. Which is fine.
But I think then Morrissey may not be the right artist for them to be interested in?
Unless of course one finds pleasure solely in criticizing the views and actions of someone they will never agree with or relate to. Which seems to be the case.
I think it’s presumptuous to more or less say who should or shouldn’t be interested in Morrissey. Personally, I relate to a lot of stuff that one could say make up Morrissey’s character (the vegetarianism, the ‘outsiderhood’, and so on and so forth), but at the same time I feel a strong aversion to some of the politics that has been posted on Central these past few years. Does this make me unfit to be a Morrissey fan? Do you have to relate to everything that is Morrissey? I’m sorry, but this feels cultish. And it is possible to criticize some of the actions of an artist and still love said artist and remain a fan. A healthy mind would have no problem accepting and acknowledging this.
Sigh.

I was talking about Morrissey or artists in general that don’t really feel that they fit in
with society and it’s demands, i.e., preferring
not to work a normal job, whatever.

Wasn’t talking about politics when I wrote
‘criticizing the views and actions of someone they will never agree with’

Edit, Does this make anyone less a fan if they disagree with him? I guess we would need to define what is and what’s not a fanatic.

But that won’t be with me.
Yet the issue remains: you feel that some people shouldn’t be interested in Morrissey if they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does. I for one relate to that particular issue, but not to some of the politics. Am I allowed to listen to Morrissey?
And like I said it is possible to criticize some of the actions of an artist and still love said artist and remain a fan.
No, I never said that.

Why are they interested in Morrissey when they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does? Are you really asking that question? Not even you agree with everything he says or does, according to yourself. So why are you here?

Nope.

I said …

Yes, you did.

Fine, key words being “as much as”.

Is it not?

‘you feel that some people shouldn’t be interested in Morrissey if they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does.’

Again. Nope, never said that.

In any sense of the word, are you a Morrissey fan?
Yep, have every album and seen him every time he’s toured in the UK (when he’s turned up) however he’s done nothing to change my life.

Ok. Then, are you saying in your first post to me that because Morrissey doesn’t like this site, then fans of his shouldn’t visit it ?

If that’s how you feel, and in regards to following Morrissey, then why do you visit this site?

Ok. Then, are you saying in your first post to me that because Morrissey doesn’t like this site, then fans of his shouldn’t visit it ?

If that’s how you feel, and in regards to following Morrissey, then why do you visit this site?

Because unlike some I’m happy to criticise when I think he’s been an arse and I don’t agree with his view that that this site shouldn’t allow criticism of him.

Because unlike some I’m happy to criticise when I think he’s been an arse and I don’t agree with his view that that this site shouldn’t allow criticism of him.

Likewise. I feel the same way.

And that’s why I too, in part, visit this site.

Have a good day, Surface.

‘you feel that some people shouldn’t be interested in Morrissey if they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does.’

Again. Nope, never said that.
I said: “you feel that some people shouldn’t be interested in Morrissey if they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does.”

To which you replied: “They can be interested. No one’s stopping them. But why are they?”

Ergo:
you question why they are interested in Morrissey even though they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does.

I said: “you feel that some people shouldn’t be interested in Morrissey if they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does.”

To which you replied: “They can be interested. No one’s stopping them. But why are they?”

Ergo:
you question why they are interested in Morrissey even though they don’t subscribe to the same exact things that he does.

I never said they needed to subscribe to the same exact things as he does to be a fan.

I said they can be interested, but I don’t know why they would be if they view going to a 9-5 job that they detest everyday as a positive part of their life. That’s what I mean by ‘they can be interested, but why?’ Then I went on in general to question why some fans are interested in an artist that they continually criticize.

Again. I never said that to be a fan, one must be vegetarian, question the government, or wear bad fitting trousers.

I was mainly questioning why a fan would criticize why Morrissey would say what he said in that interview as a negative thing or be surprised by what he said. I think a fan would know what Morrissey’s feelings are about work, since it’s all there in the lyrics, from Heaven Knows.. to Spent The Day in Bed.

I never said they needed to subscribe to the same exact things as he does to be a fan.

I said they can be interested, but I don’t know why they would be if they view going to a 9-5 job that they detest everyday as a positive part of their life. That’s what I mean by ‘they can be interested, but why?’ Then I went on in general to question why some fans are interested in an artist that they continually criticize.

Again. I never said that to be a fan, one must be vegetarian, question the government, or wear bad fitting trousers.

I was mainly questioning why a fan would criticize why Morrissey would say what he said in that interview as a negative thing or be surprised by what he said. I think a fan would know what Morrissey’s feelings are about work, since it’s all there in the lyrics, from Heaven Knows.. to Spent The Day in Bed.
Very well.

I agree that no one should be surprised by what he said about work, but one can’t expect everyone (who calls themselves a fan) to agree.

Morrissey fans don't even agree on what is his best work. There have always been divides between the American contingent who loved Kill Uncle as their entry-point, and the older UK fans who thought it was a terrible falling-off. Any long-running act, like any long-running TV show or film franchise, has multiple generations and regions of audience who take different things from it. That's the secret of becoming a big success, offering something for everyone, but not in an obvious way.

Back
Top Bottom