‘Pigsty’ has won the downloading vote (please read)

Or we could do MIM in May, so Moz has a Number One Hit Single for his birthday on the 22nd! It's the nicest gift we could give the wee lad :)

Right, the website has been set up: www.freewebs.com/get-moz-in-the-charts

a few things: i have applied for a shorter url from that free site I posted before, that address should be ready in the next 3 days. there is a link to sign-up to a mailing list on the site, however, Freewebs do not allow mailing lists to "work" until 7 days after the account has been set up.

So unfortunately this sets us back a bit because one of the main functions of the site will not work until next Sunday :(

I don't think people should publicise the site just yet, because the address will soon change and the mailing list will not be working. If people go on the site and things aren't working then it will put them off.

feel free to visit the site and tell me what you think, tell me if it makes sense, we need it to be as simple as possible, an alien needs to be able to understand it :p

sorry for the inconvenience about the experiment being set back for at least another week, but i think if we wait then in the long run it could be better for us.

We should still publicise the experiment to keep it fresh in people's minds, but don't mention the site just yet.

:)

It looks great good work :D

So you think we should move it back until Monday the 5th of February?

Do you think that will give us enough time to get everyone sighed up?

Or do you think we should just wait and see how many people sign up before making any dates.

Also just to clarify we can't sign up yet we have to wait 7 days?

Last edited:
Could also create a myspace page, which would mean you could post bulletins which all of your friends could see immediately. Would also be a good gauge of how many people will download the song, as you can see how many people have friended you! Just look at the size of the "are you on myspace" thread, you'd have hundreds of buds! :)

Good work everyone. Dont know whether it has been decided as such that we'll do pigsty and meat is murder but this was just to let you know I have had loads of replies pouring in from various regional veggie/vegan groups pledging their support for Meat is Murder all saying they would love to be involved and will forward to other groups. I know everyone is concentrating on piggy at the moment but just so everyone has plenty of notice for publicising in magazines etc at the veggie groups shall we say week commencing 2nd April for Easter weekend charts?

Although I really wanted it to be Meat Is Murder because I am a nutcase veggie, I think Pigsty is a good choice.

I think more people are likely to download it and I maintain, along with everyone else, that it's the highlight of ROTT. I think it's quite cool that we wanted it released as a single, it doesn't happen, so we put it in the charts ourselves :cool:

totally seconded.

I will of course need someone to hold my hand and teach me how to download etc...

If your talking about when to release then may i suggest the same week valentines day is in...? (Week starting Feb 12...?)

The irony...

Well done - that's as clear as it can be, as long as everybody is disciplined and hits the right date. Nice job.

I'm in and will download Pigsty too.I'll also get some of my mates involved too. Think all my other points have been covered already, suffice to say, I think it's a great idea!

I just went to Bleep.com

I created an account.

They asked for my email address, password and nothing else.

I paid by paypal, and clicked "no shipping address required"

Score one for a UK download!

I also don't think you should be debating the choice of song. Piggy wouldn't be my first choice, but if we all had our own way, we'd never reach consensus.

Otherwise it's going to be and endless succession of people saying "what about this song..."

I just went to Bleep.com

I created an account.

Great news. You should give that information to robertzombie, who’s creating the web site.

I just went to Bleep.com

I created an account.

This is just great news!
I'll definately create an account as well and download Pigsty a couple of times. Count me in!

It looks great good work :D

So you think we should move it back until Monday the 5th of February?

Do you think that will give us enough time to get everyone sighed up?

Or do you think we should just wait and see how many people sign up before making any dates.

Also just to clarify we can't sign up yet we have to wait 7 days?

People won't be able to sign up until Sunday 28th Jan.
IMO I don't think we should set up a myspace page because then we might get some people signing up to the Myspace and not to the newsletter, it's better to keep everything simple and have one thing to sign up to.
On Sunday everyone should start promoting the site, and telling people to sign up for updates. After 7 days we should see how many people have signed up, if it's a lot then I think we should set the download week to the week after (18th - 25th, Feb.) This gives people enough time to sign-up and get all the info they need.

I just went to Bleep.com

I created an account.

Great news! :D Will this allow people from across the globe to influence the UK charts? If so, I'll mention it on the site :)

Of course the reason I say valentines week is to give it some sort of angle for people to pick up on.

'Valentines day! Pah! Life IS a pigsty!'

etc...etc...

Brel, Cat's Mother, etc, if you want to "release" a Morrissey song that is commercially viable (for the snowball effect) and does not involve Mr Joyce then "Sister I'm a Poet" is the one. It's short enough to get radio play, unlikely to offend, is upbeat and very catchy, and probably more attractive to Moz fans as a download because it's rare (i like the studio version).
I understand that this project is already under way. Just thought i'd mention the best Morrissey song never to be a single.

Funny enough, just after adding my opinions on the subject the other day, I went in the kitchen and my wife was playing "Sister I'm a Poet", and it got me thinking. That said, I am happy to go with whatever emerges as our candidate single. But you are right. Just look at Morrissey's choice of singles over the years, he goes for short punchy numbers. Let's not think of this as a download contest, thats just the means to the prize. Imagine you are picking a song for a 7 inch format - thats what Morrissey does.

I'm behind it too, but I really think MIM is a better song choice. If Pigsty gets into the charts its just a song from the lastest album doing ok, but if MIM gets in, it really is something out of the ordinary and bound to attract some press attention.

And despite never being in the running, I think Paint a Vulgar Picture would have been nice and ironic.

Last edited:
out of those songs i think pigsty

but i will buy whatever just to get mozzy in the charts ;)

still think that we should go for something like suedehead or whatever because if non-mozzy fans hear it they might be more readily converted...instantly loveable

Hey great work on the website, etc!
I'm 200% behind this - I just wish there was a way for us non-brits to participate :(

I agree that it would be a good idea to perhaps wait on setting a date for downloading. There may be a way to measure interest via the website and once we have enough interest and we know we can be successful, we can request that people start downloading???

I can see the attraction of Pigsty but also of Meat Is Murder - it would cause much more of a stir when it pops up out of the blue considering it's over 20 years old.

Nice work on this whole project, guys. I think Morrissey would really be amused if we pulled this off. :)

Back
Top Bottom