Your Arsenal Tour Memories

Comtesse

Starved Of Mirth
While I was going through some old papers, I stumbled across three little concert summaries I wrote for the three shows I caught during the Your Arsenal tour. I thought it would be amusing to share them with you.

Concord Pavilion - 10/13/92

Morrissey came out wearing a blue long-sleeved button up shirt and jeans (per usual). He seemed in a very good mood, flirting with the crowd in his usual manner. At one point he said, "That's extraordinarily decent of you" in response to the applause. The best statement of the night was, "Someone has just requested I sing 'Achy Breaky Heart' and I would if it were true... I think I should".

Very few invasions were attempted. One idiot ran across the stage and tackled Morrissey hard. He was quickly manhandled off stage, much to the happiness of most of the fans. Morrissey threw a tambourine, maraccas, a sunflower, and his shirt into the audience. At one point someone tried to hand him a red spider ring which he looked at in puzzlement and handed back.

The crowd was actually quite mellow. The third row view was extraordinary. Morrissey came out for the encore in his copper satin shirt. His voice was in extremely fine form. He changed the line in "Such a Little Thing..." from "How I love all of the very simple things in life" to "How I love the complicated things in life". He coyly left the last word for the crowd to fill in: "Most people keep their brains between their... what?" - then the song merged into "The Girl Least Likely To". He played all of Your Arsenal except "National Front Disco" and nothing from Kill Uncle.

Morrissey took some flowers that we threw to the stage and put them in his hair.

Arco Arena, Sacramento, CA - 10/14/92

Morrissey came onstage wearing a green satin shirt and white jeans. He was very talkative, by his standards, teasing the crowd with his usual unfinished comments between songs such as: "I hope that you're all extremely..." before "Certain People I Know". At one point he said, "I wonder if anybody here wants to be in a band and make records? (crowd cheers) Do you think that you will? (crowd cheers) Hmmmm..." Another unfinished statement was "You may think that..."

The crowd was rather apathetic - a typical Sacramento crowd. After one song he remarked, "You didn't really like that, did you?" and he kept beckoning to the crowd to do SOMETHING. There were maybe 3 or 4 stage invasions. During "Seasick Yet Still Docked" a woman came up behind him and gently caressed him, which caught him off guard.

When singing "Certain People I Know" he pointed to the people in the pit when he sang the line, "They look at danger and they laugh their heads off." He changed the line "I won't tell anyone" to "I will tell everyone" in Tomorrow.

Morrissey threw the typical tambourine during "The Loop", two maraccas, his shirt (during "Seasick, Yet Still Docked"). He came out for the encore wearing a blue shirt and stayed through the feedback at the end of "November..." (Usually, he leaves the stage - and the venue - as soon as the singing is over.)

The backdrops used were the skinhead girls, Charles Richardson from the inner sleeve of Your Arsenal, and a girl's face. Morrissey took some daisies [my friends] David and Mark threw onstage and smashed them against the monitor. Another present for Morrissey was a plastic brontosaurus.

San Jose State Event Center - 10/15/92

The crowd was very rude during Gallon Drunk's set, chanting "Morrissey!" between songs. The first time, Gallon Drunk's singer/guitarist said, "You've got the wrong band. Doesn't Morrissey have five members?" But the second time he became (justifiably) angry, yelling, "You'll have to wait about 20 minutes for that, you sorry f***ing assholes!" He later somewhat apologized for these remarks saying he though the crowd was rude. This was Grade A no class behavior by the crowd.

Morrissey came out wearing a black shirt and white pants. He opened with "The Loop" for a change, with the obligatory tambourine. "Sister I'm A Poet"'s lyric (which I finally deciphered) went "A plastic bag stranded at the light - this once was me". "Tomorrow" was changed from "my shiftless body" to "my useless body".

He was not talkative at all, saying only "I was ah...?" and "Before we go I'd like to say thank you aaaaahhhhh...." He changed the line "kiss her full on the mouth" to "kiss me full on the mouth" in "November Spawned a Monster". The bridge was played with sax (by Boz) instead of the usual clarinet-like horn. There was no feedback showcase at the end of it, unlike the previous two shows.

The final song was "We'll Let You Know" which ended with Morrissey saying, "I love you". He sang over the instrumental part in glorious falsetto, like the previous night. This time he took off his shirt during the end of "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful". He played the new song, which I believe is "Jack the Ripper" like in Sacramento. Beautiful, beautiful song. There were no stage invasions - very disappointing. He came out for the encore in a purple lamé shirt.

Ahhhhh, so long ago... Do any of you old people also remember how frustrating it used to be at Moz shows, because he would barely talk and when he did, he wouldn't finish his sentences? "This one is called..." "This song was written by..." "You're all looking extremely..." and then the song would start. So annoying!!! I'm so glad he finally quit teasing like that and starting completing his sentences onstage.

Ahh, that is really cool.
I went to two Arsenal shows. Charlotte, NC and Charlottesville, VA.

Being I was 17 at the time, I could only afford to go to those two. I am glad I chose the VA show. The first night in Charlotte, the crowd was all over the stage before Moz came on, but the show went well. He opened with Playboys. I think he had a blue shinny shirt and blue jeans and boots. Flirted with the crowd, flowers everywhere. But over all a great show. The next night was a "What were they thinking" show. It was held at a High School auditorium. and get this. The security was provided by students. :lbf: This was one of my favorite Moz shows. Lots of chatting, flirting, stage invasion, hugging, crowd surfing and hand shaking. I remember at the end of National Front Disco, Boz smashed something on his guitar, like a bottle or glass or something.
That was a great show. ahh to be 17 again and not have a worry in the world. I will always cherish those shows.

Ahhhhh, so long ago... Do any of you old people also remember how frustrating it used to be at Moz shows, because he would barely talk and when he did, he wouldn't finish his sentences? "This one is called..." "This song was written by..." "You're all looking extremely..." and then the song would start. So annoying!!! I'm so glad he finally quit teasing like that and starting completing his sentences onstage.

sometimes i wonder when people talk about "back in the day" because I really do find many of the more recent shows more satisfying in a way. Moz interacts sooooo much more. Those shows were great but the thirst for Moz is somehow quenched quite a bit more nowadays and in a good way if you ask me. Different times a different way... and not one better than the other IMO. thanks for the writeup.

This tour was my first ever Moz show at the Paramount in NYC. It sold out quickly so I bought scalped tickets over the phone and had them fed ex'd to me at college. From memory I paid about $65 all up. Trekked in with a couple other people from my school. I was new to the city at the time so was still in complete awe of it. Was surprised at the smallish size of the Paramount and not thrilled at all with my seat. However, one of my friends introduced me to the girl who ran the DM/BONG fanzine at the time and she convinced me to take the empty seat next to her about 4-5 rows from the stage. I prayed no one would show up and sure enough they didn't. I remember it being a very wild and frenetic show and I had never heard Girl Least Likely to until that point. I know people say this all the time, but as I was singing to along to November, the gold clad one himself look right at (through?) me for at least 5-6 seconds. Great night and great memories.

I would have loved to have had the chance to see him perform as a (reasonably) young man. This isn't just because of the reasons outlined in the role model thread, but... I guess part of it is he was just better-looking back then. :lbf:

This tour was my first ever Moz show at the Paramount in NYC. It sold out quickly so I bought scalped tickets over the phone and had them fed ex'd to me at college. From memory I paid about $65 all up. Trekked in with a couple other people from my school. I was new to the city at the time so was still in complete awe of it. Was surprised at the smallish size of the Paramount and not thrilled at all with my seat. However, one of my friends introduced me to the girl who ran the DM/BONG fanzine at the time and she convinced me to take the empty seat next to her about 4-5 rows from the stage. I prayed no one would show up and sure enough they didn't. I remember it being a very wild and frenetic show and I had never heard Girl Least Likely to until that point. I know people say this all the time, but as I was singing to along to November, the gold clad one himself look right at (through?) me for at least 5-6 seconds. Great night and great memories.

oh i was at that show and I don't think I have managed to find any video from it... would love to see a vid.

Back
Top Bottom